Oscar Pistorius

Azonic

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news. The Kenyans should stick to long distance events methinks.

I didn't get to watch, what appened?

TeamSouthAfrica@Team_SA_2012

Our relay team is back after successful appeal & will run in tomorrows final at 22.20 SA time, great result for our boys to compete.

Retweeted by Oscar Pistorius

Good news!

Maybe they protested against the other runner (Kenya?) and got a free pass to the final.

Imagine they manage to win it....

Go for it chaps

Ok, I did a search and I see this topic might have been addressed before.

I'd like to ask again amongst other sports people, do you or do you not believe that his carbon legs give him an unfair advantage?

I had a bit of a back-n-forth on this topic on Facebook yesterday with non sports-people who seem to value the "feel good / overcome adversity" factor more than facts.

I looked up a few online stories on the topic. A few years back he was investigated by a bunch of scientists and barred from competition. Oscar hired his own lawyers and scientists and had the ban overturned. Now, some of those same lawyers have changed their tune and admitted that there might be some advantages.

Some points raised:

1) Because of not having lower limbs, his legs need a substantial amount less oxygen to function.

2) Some argue that there is a substantial less lactic acid buildup while running, so the "burn" factor is gone.

3) When running, the carbon blades take up the impact that otherwise would have to been taken up by a "normal" athletes feet, ankles, hips and lower back.

4) No lower legs means no strains, less injuries etc = more training.

5) The carbon legs weigh quite a bit less than real limbs, surely making it easier to swing them back for the next "step".

6) Personally, from my side: Height wise he is roughly as tall as other other sprinters. Not like Usain Bolt that is very tall with long legs making it possible for him to have a very long stride and a lower "leg speed" and still win. When Oscar runs you can see that his "leg speed" is lower than most of the other sprinters, yet he mostly keeps up with them. How is that possible? Longer "bounce" factor?

People say that if the carbon legs were such an advantage he would have won the other night. I say that even with a slight mechanical advantage that the carbon legs might give a person, if you are not a pure sprinter with the snappy legspeed that is required you still won't win.

I don't know Oscar, obviously. I've seen him on TV a few times and he seems like a very nice oke. I'm just commenting on my and other's observations.

What says you guys?

I am sure Oscar would prefer to run with real legs and not carbon ones.......

If it gives him such an advantage why don't the rest of the field amputate their lower legs? Guess because it is not to their adavantage?!??!

Good news!

Maybe they protested against the other runner (Kenya?) and got a free pass to the final.

Go for it chaps

:thumbup:

I am sure Oscar would prefer to run with real legs and not carbon ones.......

If it gives him such an advantage why don't the rest of the field amputate their lower legs? Guess because it is not to their adavantage?!??!

Read all the research these guys posted here, very one sided but they will tell you its true because its on the internet. Edited by fabes

Good news!

Go for it chaps

I'm hearing it was the other way around. They heard the Kenyan's had got disqualified so SA appealed their participation and were succesful.

The Kenyan cut in front of the South African and in so doing took him out.

Edited by Clint_ZA

So he gets the sympathy trip to the Olympics (failed to qualify, still sent), and now the sympathy spot in the final.

Nice.

This is when one wishes you could use derogatory comments. Sometimes people deserve them. Jealousy makes one a nasty biatch.

This is when one wishes you could use derogatory comments. Sometimes people deserve them. Jealousy makes one a nasty biatch.

No jealousy at all. Reality. He has a mechanical advantage over guys wuthout carbon springs in their shoes. That his story is overwhelmingly amazing needs to be put to one side, and we need to look at the stark reality. Would Natalie du Toit be allowed to swim with a flipper on a prosthesis?

Edited by onetrackmind

So scientists have been spending ages arguing about this yet you state with all certainty that he has an advantage. Give the IAAF a call, it seems they could do with your exceptional talents on their science panels.

Interesting you mention Natalie as I considered commenting on that earlier... should the other competitors not be complaining about the fact that she carries around 1/3rd less body weight around with her when she swims?

Edited by Clint_ZA

His carfeully-chosen scientist seem to think his prostheses don't give him an advantage. The impartial ones seem to think they do. Common sense says they do. As I said, remove the emotion.

His carfeully-chosen scientist seem to think his prostheses don't give him an advantage. The impartial ones seem to think they do. Common sense says they do. As I said, remove the emotion.

There is no need for you to draw any conclusions. The authorities already did and gave him permission to run. As stated earlier, everyone else should just STFU and get on with it.

We won't discuss the disadvantage he has at the start of every race as a result of not being able to push of the start blocks with his feet and ankles.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Interesting you mention Natalie as I considered commenting on that earlier... should the other competitors not be complaining about the fact that she carries around 1/3rd less body weight around with her when she swims?

Possibly they should. It is slightly different from the Pistorius situation though, I don't think anybody would see his reduced bodyweight as an advantage if he lined up on the start without his prostheses.