Support your LBS! or don`t.

BergForce

When you use "please give my bike a service" and you expected A and got B...you will be upset. Make it clear that way you will never be dissapointed

I was just using that in the generic term and how it was quoted earlier - no way affiliated to how i would ask for something :mellow:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go out on a limb and say that what has riled people up on this thread is not actually the buying stuff elsewhere hoping to get it fitted for f-all attitude, but the entire corner cutting process as a whole.

Kranswurm couldn't have said it better, cheapskates, I have seen them moving around the hi-fi industry as well, there they are like a boil on a your @ss.

Thats the thing, I dont expect it for free at all, I just don't agree with having to charge me a premium cause I so happened to have it lying about at home, was given it or bought it elsewhere.

The bike shops charge what they want, doesn't mean I must pay it.

Strikes me there are quite a few cheapskates...

Corporate business who make billions a year are worse by far. They don't care if they take someone out of business just to get the best price and then have 30, 60, 90 day accounts. It's all about the numbers. I work in supplying IT infrastructure and services to large Mobile, ISP, Retail, Manufacturing companies and have seen many times how they squeeze the last drop of blood out of you for a better deal. It's human nature to cut corners to get what they want where and whenever they can and as easy as possible. We are lazy, some more than others and that is perhaps our downfall.

I was just using that in the generic term and how it was quoted earlier - no way affiliated to how i would ask for something :mellow:

Sweet cause that road of "major service" always leads to dissapointment.

Corporate business who make billions a year are worse by far. They don't care if they take someone out of business just to get the best price and then have 30, 60, 90 day accounts. It's all about the numbers. I work in supplying IT infrastructure and services to large Mobile, ISP, Retail, Manufacturing companies and have seen many times how they squeeze the last drop of blood out of you for a better deal. It's human nature to cut corners to get what they want where and whenever they can and as easy as possible. We are lazy, some more than others and that is perhaps our downfall.

If I started to charge a handling fee, our customers would go around the corner to my opposition. So we don't and you know what, it works for us, as the small "cheapskates" come back and we get repeat business. Margins are tight in Engineering, so we can't do it to stay ahead, it just would not be good for business. It's also not just the "cheapskates" that don't want to pay, major compnaies are the same.

Thats the thing, I dont expect it for free at all, I just don't agree with having to charge me a premium cause I so happened to have it lying about at home, was given it or bought it elsewhere.

The bike shops charge what they want, doesn't mean I must pay it.

I suspect some of the smaller workshops / mechs can do this because one bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, but the bigger workshops have a team of mechs that are sized according to demand no doubt. If they suddenly start accepting every guy with a crc order they will have to turn clients away that had both income streams.

I suspect some of the smaller workshops / mechs can do this because one bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, but the bigger workshops have a team of mechs that are sized according to demand no doubt. If they suddenly start accepting every guy with a crc order they will have to turn clients away that had both income streams.

Just not sure why everyone is attacking me because I don't agree with what they do. As TNT 1 said, I go to where is affordable. If I had to pay the premium I will, does not have to mean I agree with it. If I paid the premium and didn't try save the money I do, I would not have two nice bikes. I have not tried to take the piss or decieve any bike shop or workshop, ever.

Just not sure why everyone is attacking me because I don't agree with what they do. As TNT 1 said, I go to where is affordable. If I had to pay the premium I will, does not have to mean I agree with it. If I paid the premium and didn't try save the money I do, I would not have two nice bikes. I have not tried to take the piss or decieve any bike shop or workshop, ever.

Not attacking, I am just pointing out why you can't expect champagne on a beer budget. And yes I do most things myself so I am on a beer budget myself.

Not attacking, I am just pointing out why you can't expect champagne on a beer budget. And yes I do most things myself so I am on a beer budget myself.

Not yourself in particular, but hey thats the way the Hub goes I guess. :thumbup: I don't have a beer budget let alone a champagne budget, so will make saving where I can. I also do what I can, when I can. I'm not expecting the LBS to not make money, but some don rip you a new arsehole on things.

If I started to charge a handling fee, our customers would go around the corner to my opposition. So we don't and you know what, it works for us, as the small "cheapskates" come back and we get repeat business. Margins are tight in Engineering, so we can't do it to stay ahead, it just would not be good for business. It's also not just the "cheapskates" that don't want to pay, major compnaies are the same.

BTW

It is common practice in the construction industry to be given free supply materials or equipment from the client.However what is just as common is to be allowed a profit and P&G on said equipment or materials.That is not cheapskate and normal business practice.That is in addition to the labour required to install.

I was only explaining that there are multimillion Rand companies who are bigger cheapskates than you :devil:

BTW

It is common practice in the construction industry to be given free supply materials or equipment from the client.However what is just as common is to be allowed a profit and P&G on said equipment or materials.That is not cheapskate and normal business practice.That is in addition to the labour required to install.

Thanks for that, this I already knew. Thanks for the refresher course :thumbup: Same as we don't always charge for samples.

Thanks for that, this I already knew. Thanks for the refresher course :thumbup: Same as we don't always charge for samples.

Not trying to be silly but if you know that why don't you allow others to apply it.It is a common principle

Yes,we do charge for samples.It is a billed P&G item in 99.9% of projects

BTW if you want any further info you have my rates already ;)

Bottom line is everybody wants a freebie.

The problem is the LBS that charge a premium labour rate because you didn't buy from them (IOW you are being punished for not "supporting" them). To re-cap what I said earlier:

There should be a flat labour rate for the workshop. Customers that bought items from the LBS get preference in the queue. Obviously the relationship issue comes into play as well.

Any LBS is a business and they need to meet targets. However the customer's cash is responsible for meeting those targets. There is a lot to be said of word of mouth advertising. Treat everybody fair and they will come back.

Not trying to be silly but if you know that why don't you allow others to apply it.It is a common principle

Yes,we do charge for samples.It is a billed P&G item in 99.9% of projects

BTW if you want any further info you have my rates already ;)

I never said that others can't do it, just does not mean I have to agree with it. Not sure I could afford you :whistling: So may have to go elsewhere.

To recap my stance,

I don't agree with having to pay a premium for supplying my own parts as others have stated on here already and I agree with me, but thats not saying that your LBS cannot do it. I just won't go to them if I really don't have to, but I will pay if I am desperate.

No, I do not try to decieve any shops/ workshops into gettting free work done. I always ask charges up front, hell even if someone says no charge I always ask if they are sure. Thats just how I am.