Support your LBS! or don`t.

BergForce

Is he a normal bike shop or have another type of business on the same premises, and does he do this with all his customers, or only the special ones?

Ja I would keep him if i were you

It is a workshop/ shop. They do it with all the customers as far as I know, thats why they are so successful.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't agree with it. Lets take an example of my mechanic, can source the same parts from the same agents cheaper then any of the 8 LBS stores around me. I can choose to buy from him or bnring in my own, yet he still does not charge me more for bringing in my own stuff to be fitted, in fact he encourages it. I get advice, and I keep going back to chat about anything, he also has a workshop so please don't use the overheads as a point of contention.

I will take his advice over any LBS in Durban.

When I want advice I ask for it on the Hub. Heck the thread may even include some handbag slinging and Slowbee can get his bit of glory by locking the thread......... That is after consulting with all the udder Mod's

It is a workshop/ shop. They do it with all the customers as far as I know, thats why they are so successful.

So he makes his profit from labour and new bike sales?

So he makes his profit from labour and new bike sales?

They sell 2nd hand bikes, some parts and the rest is servicing of bikes.

We often get this in the meat trade. Bloke buys something from a farmer or whoever 'cause the butchers rip you off you know.

Now you've got to cut it for him 'cause his connection has zero equipment .

We do it but we don't like it. And at a take it or leave it price. Or just go buy your own bandsaw at R 25000 p**pol.

I still don't agree with it. Lets take an example of my mechanic, can source the same parts from the same agents cheaper then any of the 8 LBS stores around me. I can choose to buy from him or bnring in my own, yet he still does not charge me more for bringing in my own stuff to be fitted, in fact he encourages it. I get advice, and I keep going back to chat about anything, he also has a workshop so please don't use the overheads as a point of contention.

He has not got the same overhead costs a proper bikeshop so you can't compare

He has not got the same overhead costs a proper bikeshop so you can't compare

How do you know what his overheads are like? He has a big workshop, staff etc. Granted it may not be as much, but still.

And the prize for sweeping statement of the month goes to....

lol, Nevermind all the proper machinary he has, which most LBS stores do not have

Echo what Swiss said....keep him, maybe he his business model allows him to do this, dunno. For a normal run of the mill LBS that has a busy workshop it won't make business sense to do this since the mechanics won't be busy with the bikes that bring in the most moola.

lol, Nevermind all the proper machinary he has, which most LBS stores do not have

Yeah. Precisely.

And as for the whole servicing malarkey - the guys charge per hour, regardless of where you bought the stuff. Consider if you had had the part sitting at home collecting dust, and yo wanted it fitted 'cos your current one broke. Would you accept a surcharge just because you didn't BUY it there? No - I didn't think so. The LBS charges a set rate (or hourly rate) for a specific job, finish and klaar. Sales of parts & servicing of bikes are 2 different departments. You cannot penalize a person for not buying the part through you and asking you to fit it. That is just not good business practice.

Echo what Swiss said....keep him, maybe he his business model allows him to do this, dunno. For a normal run of the mill LBS that has a busy workshop it won't make business sense to do this since the mechanics won't be busy with the bikes that bring in the most moola.

Rouxtjie, that's just it. If they haven't priced their service charges in order to allow for a profit margin on each service, then they're doing it wrong. And just because a bike may have to have a part replaced, doesn't mean that the guys must charge additional fees if the client brings in his own spares. They will still be making money on the service, which will take just as long as normal.

Exactly the same with my mechanic here in Randburg and he has recently joined the Hub too. :D

Rouxtjie, that's just it. If they haven't priced their service charges in order to allow for a profit margin on each service, then they're doing it wrong. And just because a bike may have to have a part replaced, doesn't mean that the guys must charge additional fees if the client brings in his own spares. They will still be making money on the service, which will take just as long as normal.

But they won't be making money of the parts sold for replacement where its needed also they need to stock parts for guys that will use this service which is the norm. They have a dual income from this where the oke that stands there with his CRC sakkie presents one to them, only labour. Now if you have a busy workshop it wouldn't make sense to accept jobs that represents a single income stream and then turning okes away that represents both.

Also if they are clever they should market it that way..."lower" the labour costs and make it up in parts bought.

I think inflating labour costs or charging "corkage" would be acceptable if you did need a busy workshop to help you and you are lucky if they don't ask extra

Edited by rouxtjie

Just to add, I do support my LBS when I can.

Just not for parts & servicing, all consumables/ odds & ends etc are bought there. I am supporting them as it is, yet then come service time they wanna charge me a premium for my supplied part, I don't think its right or good business practice. Hell, the one LBS I used to support when I got back from the UK has lost out on all of my business because they wanted to do this. There loss not mine.

I would love to able to just walk in and not have to worry about pricing at all, but alas I can't. .

Sorry about the sarcasm but you can not compare the Spur to a LBS.

I fit in the category of buying wherever I want, but I don`t have time to work on my bike, I would prefer the LBS to work on my bike. But it seems that the LBS don`t like working on stuff not bought from them, so now I have to find the time to do everything myself. I would like a LBS to offer ordering stuff online on my behalf, and then installing it.

But are you prepared to pay for their time and effort? Keep in mind that many businesses also discount their labour when buying the retail item from them.

What you could do is just install the item yourself and then book your bike in a for a service ;) to get the LBS to fit it properly for you.