3 x10 to 2 x 10

You were riding when you should have been walking

pushing ur bike is the most inefficient thing you can do to a bike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was your smallest chainring on the 2x10 - a 26? If so I would have a similar feeling to you. I use the 24 chainring on my XT 3x10 and am very grateful to have it. I couldn't pull a 26 with any real comfort up some of the climbs I've done this year.

But with Shimano now supplying a 24 on a 2x10 chainring I can't help but think that 24/38 on a 2x10 is the way to go. I agree with Eldron about range being the relevant point of a 2x10 vs 3x10 debate and for me the lower end of the range is most relevant. But to be honest I don't know how often I would use/miss a 42/11 when a 38/11 with a aero tuck and freewheel will probably be as fast?

28 ?!

it was crap , and rule no 5 would FU the best of us no matter how much HTFU you sucked in.

Just a question... and bear in mind, I've never been to Magoebas...

What about rule no 5..?

Would it make a diffrence?

N, F, O, NO !!

Edited by Iron

pushing ur bike is the most inefficient thing you can do to a bike

I found polishing my bike to reduce wind resistance even more ineffecient than pushing it - each to their own I guess

28 ?!

it was crap , and rule no 5 would FU the best of us no matter how much HTFU you sucked in.

28 - Ouch!

I remember the Magoebaskloof race (the one that ran from the school) from a few years ago and I know I would never be able to turn a 28 on that route

28 - Ouch!

I remember the Magoebaskloof race (the one that ran from the school) from a few years ago and I know I would never be able to turn a 28 on that route

i have a small 28 in the front and with a 36 at the back - its more than adequate

i have a small 28 in the front and with a 36 at the back - its more than adequate

One day when I'm a real cyclist I'll be able to say that

it's what I currently have and those steep long climbs up the escarpment from the low veld up to the high veld that wind through unused forest roads F@@@ed me up good and solid.

short climbs are ok but when its a few Km's of it then no .

Edited by Iron

lol - i am far from a real cyclist!

Well if that's the case (and no disrespect intended) maybe you've not yet done some really long, hard climbs? e.g. if you can climb the 916m in 13 odd km at the start of the barberton marathon (1+ hours of non-stop climbing) and go on to finish the rest of the marathon at a decent pace on a 28 chainring, then in my book and you're a real cyclist.

Well if that's the case (and no disrespect intended) maybe you've not yet done some really long, hard climbs? e.g. if you can climb the 916m in 13 odd km at the start of the barberton marathon (1+ hours of non-stop climbing) and go on to finish the rest of the marathon at a decent pace on a 28 chainring, then in my book and you're a real cyclist.

ok - let me put it this way - did sani2c using the same gear ratio's

I found polishing my bike to reduce wind resistance even more ineffecient than pushing it - each to their own I guess

LOL

mmm...you get my point...

3x10 works for all conditions - spruit, breedts, magoebas, tokai mast, long straight drags!

if you are happy 2x10 or 1x10 you are either

a. not riding a wide variety of routes

b. much stronger than the above average rider

c. spinning like a mofo on the straights

you miss out on either the bottom or top end when you reduce the amount of chain rings...that is simple math

I'm spinning like a mofo on the straights. Until I get strong enough to turn a 36/34 up the hills, that is. May be there now, but still want to have my other gears there for the steepies.