Am I doing it right? (training for running marathon)

CatGirl

I am training for my first marathon, The Winelands on 17 November 2012 and started training 9 weeks ago.

This is what i have done so far:

Week 1 13/06 12 km

Week 2 23/06 15 km

Week 3 27/06 12 km

Week 4 04/07 15 km

Week 5 11/07 15 km

Week 6 18/07 15 km

Week 6 21/07 21 km Total for the week 36 km

Week 7 niks

Week 8 01/08 15 km

Week 9 06/08 10 km

Week 9 08/08 10 km Total for the week 20 km

So wat hulle se is jy moet die afstand wat jy gaan hardloop in 'n week hardloop.

Dan se ander jy moet 30km op jou eie kan hardloop, dus as 'n training ride.

Ek mtb ook nog op saterdae(races) het gister ook gemtb(training), maar more vat ek af my bene is net te seer.

so nou weet ek nie, die Winelands is op 17 nov 2012.

Hoe gemaak? hoe lank voor die tyd moet ek die 42km vir die week doen en vir hoeveel weke??

Edited by CatGirl

I'm assuming that you are targeting a comfortable finish. If so, you need to get to about 50 - 70kms 3 weeks before the event. Do not increase weekly distance by more than 5 km per week. So if you target 70kms by end October you would appear to be on track. I quite like a training regime that works on 4 weeks cycles which entails increasing distance for the first three weeks and then using week 4 for active rest.

Good luck

Are you talking running marathon or mtb marathon?

She used the word hardloop in her post so I've assumed it is a running marathon.

I'm assuming that you are targeting a comfortable finish. If so, you need to get to about 50 - 70kms 3 weeks before the event. Do not increase weekly distance by more than 5 km per week. So if you target 70kms by end October you would appear to be on track. I quite like a training regime that works on 4 weeks cycles which entails increasing distance for the first three weeks and then using week 4 for active rest.

Good luck

oo ok i see...I must just add the people who gave the advice are all comrades runners and 2 oceans utra runners..so waaa kom jy aan 50km vir die week? LOL

I actually dont know what the cut-off is for this one, I just want to finish, even if it is 2 minutes before cut-off..it will be my first one so the finish line is all i have in mind, daarna kan ek ma drop dead LOL

She used the word hardloop in her post so I've assumed it is a running marathon.

yup running marathon 42km

oo ok i see...I must just add the people who gave the advice are all comrades runners and 2 oceans utra runners..so waaa kom jy aan 50km vir die week? LOL

I actually dont know what the cut-off is for this one, I just want to finish, even if it is 2 minutes before cut-off..it will be my first one so the finish line is all i have in mind, daarna kan ek ma drop dead LOL

I know what you mean when you ask an ultramarathon runner they will tell you to do distance. But I find that I do a better when I cut the distance and add more quality to the training. The longest distance you should be aiming for is about 30km in a single run, even if you run / walk it.

Don't bother training much. Then take pain killers and drink red bull by the litre from the 10km mark. If you live you will have more self respect than if you trained for it.

There is always the right amount of training that should be done and the bare minium...everyone has different ideas of what the bare min is and you always hear stories of people who ran marathons on zero training (LOL you even hear stories of people running comrades on zero training).

A very clever and good runner once told me something which seems to work for most type of events when you cannot do the right thing:

"At the least you should aim to reach the total race distance in one single week of training"

i.e. you need to increase your weekly mileage gradualy untill at some point it reaches 43 km per week, and this point should not be to close (a few weeks) to your marathon.

I know what you mean when you ask an ultramarathon runner they will tell you to do distance. But I find that I do a better when I cut the distance and add more quality to the training. The longest distance you should be aiming for is about 30km in a single run, even if you run / walk it.

i have done a 30km with the bay to bay ocean basket run earlier this year in jan and started in clifton and went over suikerbossie, to houtbaai en weer terug oor suikerbossie...net net in tyd klaar gemaak en moet byse het nie ge oefen nie! net opgedaag ha ha ha

There is always the right amount of training that should be done and the bare minium...everyone has different ideas of what the bare min is and you always hear stories of people who ran marathons on zero training (LOL you even hear stories of people running comrades on zero training).

A very clever and good runner once told me something which seems to work for most type of events when you cannot do the right thing:

"At the least you should aim to reach the total race distance in one single week of training"

i.e. you need to increase your weekly mileage gradualy untill at some point it reaches 43 km per week, and this point should not be to close (a few weeks) to your marathon.

dis ma wat ek ook gedink het...sal dit uitwerk op die calendar en dit beplan dat ek nie te op die tyd die 43 per week doen nie...

thanks

Don't bother training much. Then take pain killers and drink red bull by the litre from the 10km mark. If you live you will have more self respect than if you trained for it.

:lol: :lol: ja soos ek gemaak het met die bay to bay..boggerol getrain en net opgedaag...man ma ek was gaar by die fininsh! not a nice experience...

you have to get more km's, also include atleast a 21km race every second or 3rd week

you also need to run 30km atleas before the race, everyone can run a marathon without training the thing is if you want to do well and finish in a fair time you need to improve on the distance

your totals look like my totals when i do speedwork for a 5km time

training should be in 10, 12 , 15 , 20 and so , it's no good running 5x5km and then you say that you have done a25km for the week

you have to get more km's, also include atleast a 21km race every second or 3rd week

you also need to run 30km atleas before the race, everyone can run a marathon without training the thing is if you want to do well and finish in a fair time you need to improve on the distance

your totals look like my totals when i do speedwork for a 5km time

training should be in 10, 12 , 15 , 20 and so , it's no good running 5x5km and then you say that you have done a25km for the week

ja ja ja ek doen mos 10'e en 15's..ek wil op die ou en 3 10'e of 2 15's in die week doen en dan later 2 20's en so an :)

ja ja ja ek doen mos 10'e en 15's..ek wil op die ou en 3 10'e of 2 15's in die week doen en dan later 2 20's en so an :)

Rather do some fast 5 & 8 kms mixed with the odd 15 / 21 kms you'll get more value out of it.