Substitute for a front Maxxis Crossmark

crodi

Have a look at the Conti Mountainking II. It is a brilliant allrounder and won't let you down when it is wet, rocky or rooty either.

PS not the Mountainking 1. Not a great tyre.

racing ralph, front and back.

+ low weight, high grip

- cost, lifespan.

But still, when they wear out Ill be looking for more.

racing ralph, front and back.

+ low weight, high grip

- cost, lifespan.

But still, when they wear out Ill be looking for more.

The quick wear adds to the already high cost, compounding the problem. But if money is not a problem a great tyre. Just be prepared to change them quickly. The RocketRon UST is a good front option, it clears mud a bit better. Maxxis Exo sidewall protection is the best it lasts the longest and is much lighter than UST and is rock solid tubeless.

If you like the Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeksin but not happy with lifespan and sidewalls the the GEAX Saguaro is your answer. Similar knob patterns and grip but much longer lasting and no sidewall issues...

I'm running 2.1 Mountain King II up front and X King at the back. UST's. This works really well for me. Now my new bike has come with 2.1 Rocket Ron's and these feel surprisingly good. Going to fit the Conti's next week so will see which work better. As mentioned the tyre pressure make a huge difference. I've slowly learned that 2 bar at the back and 1.6 to 1.8 bar in the front works for me. I'm 70 kg's.

Definitely Monorail, it will be a great improvement over a Crossmark, and it seems quite big for a 2.1. I would put one on the back too. I wish I could get a 29er Monorail.

+1

Already suggested... :-P

Hey, I was browsing on my phone over the weekend and did a quick skip to the end in order to avoid the crappy tyre choices these JHB boys and girls usually make and recommend

Damned... we need a flame suite icon / tab thingy

What is the ave weight of a "heavy" tyre vs a "light" tyre?

How would you measure this in performance terms?

Continental x king. Works for me, maybe for you too.

I find that the X kings knoblies tears out, already had waranty replacement and they also going. Great grip on the tyres but they dont last.

I put a Monorail on the front. I’d say it’s definitely addressed the crossmark’s wide washing cornering and the steering feels more direct. Threw it around at speed on loose surface and grips very well but once it loses grip, you go sideways very quickly unlike the more progressive slide of a crossmark.

Just now had a look at reviews for the Ardent, looks like a very good tyre.

Heard good things as mentioned here about Contis but it seems they are not as durable.

If you can get an Ignitor Exo for the front it will make a great combo with a Monorail or Crossmark on the back.

Monorail is more grippy than crossmark but I found it threw up a lot of collateral dirt and moisture, now use x king and Ikon up front both protection type fitted tubeless no hassles at all and plenty of grip and a good rolling speed.