If you're looking for a trail / AM helmet, check out 661

wesley_r

I am a fan of helmets that extend down a bit at the back - trail / AM helmets if you will. I've had 2 Fox Flux helmets, a 2010 model and now a 2012 model (since I crashed with my old one). They are great, but the main reason I bought them was price, and lack of anything else on the local market. The only 3 helmets I could find at the time were the Fox Flux, the Specialized Vice, and the Giro Xar...

The Xar was approaching 2k, the Spez was 1.2k, but buycycle.co.za has the Flux almost permanently on sale at sub-R1000, so I went for it (they still do, if you're looking for one).

However, if you want another well priced alternative, Dial'd bikes now have the 661 Recon helmet, at R980. I've checked this helmet out in the flesh, and it's the business, had I not already replaced my helmet it would be a strong contender. The graphics also look damn goon in real life.

Check it out:

http://dialdbikes.co.za/661-recon-wired-helmet.html

The purpose of this post? Just to let you know what's out there. Variety is the spice of life, it's nice to know we have more options, and personally I think R980 is a steal for a good trail / AM helmet like this.

Happy shopping!

post-12904-0-48339900-1344672251.jpg

post-12904-0-12111100-1344672376.jpg

Paid 696 from crc for the top 1,Under 800 rondt landed.

Bit of a bowling ball,but so comfy & fits better & feels lighter then my giro livestrong.

Very pleased.

I do think diald could do abit better on there pricing,they making over 180 rondt profit thats why i got it thru CRC :thumbup:

You got lucky - it must have been on sale. The current price on CRC is R860, plus 25% import duty on helmets that'd be R1 075 + shipping. So R980 doesn't seem that bad now. You can't say Dial'd's price is too high if you're comparing to a CRC sale price.

The guys are trying to run a business, they need to eat too - CRC constantly has massive sales, because they're moving massive amounts of stock.

You got lucky - it must have been on sale. The current price on CRC is R860, plus 25% import duty on helmets that'd be R1 075 + shipping. So R980 doesn't seem that bad now. You can't say Dial'd's price is too high if you're comparing to a CRC sale price.

The guys are trying to run a business, they need to eat too - CRC constantly has massive sales, because they're moving massive amounts of stock.

Ye i hear you wes,but if i as an individual can beat their price when they too order bulk,maybe they too need to have a more reduced sale.Sometimes shops by from suppliers @ a higher rate then what i can get it for now,unfortunately they have to take a knock,thats the yo-yo effect of running a business.Unless you want to sit with 2009 stock for more then sum 1 can buy a 2013 product.

Not bashing diald its just never seen a price from them i cudnt beat,they shud make it impossible for us not too purchase from them.

But if that is the price now, then you right deal for under 1k :thumbup: .

How much is diald's shipping on that helm to your door>?

Helm is imba tho :clap:

At the moment Dial'd's shipping orders over R500 free, so the helmet will ship free. These are guys worth supporting - it's a new business and if as an industry we support them, it'll only be good in the long run. Even if the difference was R180, I'd still buy from them :thumbup:

Of course, they are mates of mine, and I want to support them wherever I can, because they're doing a good thing, so excuse me if I'm a bit passionate :w00t: . Thanks to them I've managed to set myself up with Deity Dirty30 handlebars, a Dartmoor chain guide and 661 Rage knee guards. All stuff I'd have to import otherwise, instead I've managed to lay my hands on the stuff in a couple of days, all for a good price :thumbup:

Rage Knee - R511 on CRC + 38.5% duties = R707.70 excl. shipping. R600 on Dial'd

Deity Dirty30 bars - R614 on CRC + 15.4% duties = R708.50 excl. shipping. R685 on Dial'd

Dartmoor Simple Chain Guide - not available on CRC, R255 on Dial'd

Source for duties: http://www.thehubsa....-cycling-goods/

PS I was wrong about the helmet - according to that link (if you scroll down) it's actually more... unless you get lucky and customs are snoozing. So the 661 Recon from CRC at the moment will cost you R860 + 44.3% = R1 240

Edited by the_wes

Eish... I've got the bell Faction, and it's pretty much ideal for what i need. Yes, it can get a tad hot, but that's why o try to keep my hair short (nr 1)! And... It's half the price.

I like those helmets, but what others are good in that style? Fox Flux? I see crc has some other brands as well how would they compare?

If you can find a Bell Variant locally, try it. Are there any places in GP that stock the 661 helmuts? Sizing is always an issue for me, but I am now gatvol of points breaking off my Sweeps....

Well I just actually checked pics on google for the 661 and some others including the Bell that you mention. I have a Giro Indicator and the fit is very similar at the back. So I will stay with that and the DJ lid that I have. Just thought that it would go as far down as the DJ, which does tend to get very hot