My old (stolen) bikes on gumtree - what to do

Brawler

Hi.

My bike was stolen out of my garage in 2010. It was reported to the Police.

Today it has re-appeared on Gumtree, I am 99% sure it is mine because there were only three in Cape Town and I had changed a few parts on it an guess what - the Gumtree bike matches it perfectly.

I still have the invoice & photos of the bike. I don't have the police case number any more but I do have the incident date. Will the cops be willing to help?

I have the guys name and telephone number (Rica?)

Whats my next move?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

My bike was stolen out of my garage in 2010. It was reported to the Police.

Today it has re-appeared on Gumtree, I am 99% sure it is mine because there were only three in Cape Town and I had changed a few parts on it an guess what - the Gumtree bike matches it perfectly.

I still have the invoice & photos of the bike. I don't have the police case number any more but I do have the incident date. Will the cops be willing to help?

I have the guys name and telephone number (Rica?)

Whats my next move?

Did you not post the pic somewhere?

Sometimes these fraudsters pinch a pic and slap it up on Gumtree

Did you not post the pic somewhere?

Sometimes these fraudsters pinch a pic and slap it up on Gumtree

No.. definitely not my pictures. Bike looks all abused to :|

Go straight to the cops.

What happens if it is not my bike? (1% chance...)

I know what happened to the 2nd bike but the 3rd maybe got the same part installed?

What happens if it is not my bike? (1% chance...)

I know what happened to the 2nd bike but the 3rd maybe got the same part installed?

Apologize for moering him and pay for the medical bill...

Do you have any security or cop buddies you can take with you to meet this guy at his place.. Im not saying the cops wont do anything about it but they are pretty busy. When you have confirmed its yours leave the guy and call the cops while you wait nearby for the cops to arrive. Save yourself embarrasement if it aint yours.

Chances are the seller is not the thief, but if its stolen property and you can prove it, then the wheels of justice must roll. If its a mistake, they apologies will be in order and you will explain you had reason to believe it was stolen property. You should visit the SAPS where you reported it stolen and they will advise you how to proceed.

eish Dude. get cops involved. for sure. They only way for us to stop they sycle is to cut in the cycle where we can. If he aint the culprit it wont be an issue as his bank account will have details of the purchase. Private or otherwise. For the sake of all the cycling community. Get the cops involved.

Ok went to cops and they were helpful as always (Rondebosch).

They managed to pull the details and the case number. The detective on the case will be in on Monday so I am going to go back then see what he can do.

No doubt, the investigating officer will have something to work with.Just to be certain, I would give the guy a call, as an interested customer, find out how old is the bike, how much he is paying for insurance, if not insured, ask him if he has an original invoice as you wish to have it insured...from this discussion you can tell if he bought the bike from a thief, of if he is a thief himself.

Offer to buy the bike and go and look at it.

If it is yours, seem very keen, ask to take it for a test ride then just keep going.......

Edited by eddy