I hit a cyclist, now what??

RudoJ

Long story.

Yesterday morning on my way to work I stopped at a 4way stop, observed, and drove off. Just to be jolted by a school boy who rode into me, or I into him. Dunno that.

I remember I was thinking, geez this sun is bad (driving in eastern direction) at 7am. COuldnt see clearly, checked all the other cars and drove off. As a cyclist myself, I'm always extra carefull when driving looking out for anything with two wheels.

Anyways, after the incident I stopped, helped the boy up and parked to side of road. He didnt sustain ANY injuries, what a relief, one crank arm was a little bent and his earphones where damaged. He said he was fine, got on bike and rode to school. I on the other hand, have some damage to my car (R12500-00). This is ok, the main thing is that the kid is fine. One Lady helped him up, but I dont know` if they xchanged details. There were no other witnesses who came to assist after the incident

Im still in shock, this could have been my own son in a few years, or one of yours. I cant say wthout dobt that it was my fault or the kids. I went to report this at SAPS anyways, just in more details.

So the dad called me last night, wanting me to replace the bent crank, buckeled front wheel and earphones. Once again told the whole incident, kid didnt ear helmet, had earphones on and front brake cable was broken. Just got a call again, the kid is still fine, and dad wanted to leave everyting there, but I said lets keep the faith and I will give him a new front wheel (there goes my single speed plans)

What I actually want to say, that these things happen, we are all somewhat irresponsible sometimes, or dont concentrate when driving in our cars. We also know that kids can be irresponsible at times. I'm still in doubt if it was my fault or the kid's. I doubt if I can request them to help with the excess on my insurance. But its perhaps time to HTFU and get on with my life again. Sometimes these things happen to show us to get our lives in order.

I urge you, let your kids wear helmets on their way to school, check their bikes for road worthiness, and be alert in your cars. This could have turned out much worse.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudo, what wheel does he need ?

Dangle, he rides an old MTB with V-brakes. I have the spare wheel in my garage, a skewer as well, so will arrange to meet the kid tomorrow and fit the wheel for him. So I believe everything is ok. Have a few other spares as well that I will give to the kid to fix up his bike 120%.

Thanks for asking, appreciated. feel like such a a-hole, but need to get over it

Dangle, he rides an old MTB with V-brakes. I have the spare wheel in my garage, a skewer as well, so will arrange to meet the kid tomorrow and fit the wheel for him. So I believe everything is ok. Have a few other spares as well that I will give to the kid to fix up his bike 120%.

Thanks for asking, appreciated. feel like such a a-hole, but need to get over it

Noi problem man.

I feel for you though, you now have excess to pay.

Good thing you went to the SAPS and the dad also comes across as quite amicable.

Sorry to hear at least everyone was OK. The kid was more then likely day dreaming while listening to his music, did you mention this to the father?

Nice one Dangle :thumbup:

Sometimes things happen for a reason. By the sound of it the kid's bike was not road worthy, he was riding without a helmet and riding with earphones which is dangerous. He was not hurt and it could have been much worse. You are now able to help and reach out. Maybe the family is not so well off? Do what your heart tells you to do

Yep,the excess is R2500, which could have been spent on other stuff, but at least the kid is fine.

I think the dad had a good chat with his son last night, hence the call this morning. Shows me that it wasnt my mistake only but a good wakeup call.

We need to take responsibility and do the right thing if things like this happen.

Sorry to hear at least everyone was OK. The kid was more then likely day dreaming while listening to his music, did you mention this to the father?

Yep, I think this was the main reason while the father was much more chilled about the whole thing this morning

Sometimes things happen for a reason. By the sound of it the kid's bike was not road worthy, he was riding without a helmet and riding with earphones which is dangerous. He was not hurt and it could have been much worse. You are now able to help and reach out. Maybe the family is not so well off? Do what your heart tells you to do

Will do what needs to be done, and do what I would have expected someone else to do if it was my own son. There are so many possible reasons and causes. But it wouldnt help to play the blame game, just HTFU and deal with it.

Big up to you for dealing with this sensibly. Lot of times we dont deal with these things amicably and do not see it as merely an accident where no one is really to blame. This coud have ended in a nasty court case that drags on.You took every precaution to make sure it was safe before moving off and he could have been wrong rushing to get to school. Thankfully no one especially him was hurt or killed. I see on a daily basis the consequences of accidents and how it affects families. Hope you asked the dad to have a good chat with the boy about helmets and earphones.

It's great that nobody was injured and all is well. However, as nice a gesture as it may be, is giving him a new wheel not an admission of guilt?

This could come back to bite you on the butt when he suddenly develops injuries at a later stage. It happens.

Further, your insurance is definitely going to look for someone to blame, and if they feel that the kid was responsible, they will fix your car then go after the father for payment. It happened to me when an unlicenced kid smashed into my car.

When the father gets a summons from the insurance company, things could go pear shaped in a hurry.

My advice ~ don't give him anything, let the insurance deal with it.

I'm now wondering if the father is being nice now because he knows the son was at fault, and is trying to get out of not having to pay your excess?

Then again, I could be way off the mark.

Falco, thought I had it sorted out. Fark it. Will deal witrh what ever happens, gonna give my advocate friend a call quickly. Thanks for heads up. You need to be aware of everything that could happen

It's great that nobody was injured and all is well. However, as nice a gesture as it may be, is giving him a new wheel not an admission of guilt?

This could come back to bite you on the butt when he suddenly develops injuries at a later stage. It happens.

Further, your insurance is definitely going to look for someone to blame, and if they feel that the kid was responsible, they will fix your car then go after the father for payment. It happened to me when an unlicenced kid smashed into my car.

When the father gets a summons from the insurance company, things could go pear shaped in a hurry.

My advice ~ don't give him anything, let the insurance deal with it.

I think Mr RudoJ is doing the right thing, If the kid or his toppie were harregat about the whole situation, then fair enough get all legal on them.

By fixing the bike, he admits there was an accident, not who's fault it is. Kinda sucks about the excess though...but hey win some..loose some..

I'm now wondering if the father is being nice now because he knows the son was at fault, and is trying to get out of not having to pay your excess?

Then again, I could be way off the mark.

Gonna let insurance sort it out rather, not going to get too involved

You could ask the father if he coud make an affidavit and you coud oblige where both of you agree that no one is to blame here and no further action is neccessary. Explain to him that this protects both parties and is a sign of good faith.

Edited by MCipollini