Abu Dhabi

Garfield2010

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know its likely to be a non wet suit swim right......... You being the wetsuit champion and all :whistling:

Edited by Bubblez

You know its likely to be a non wet suit swim right......... You being the wetsuit champion and all :whistling:

Haha!! Thats OK. The swim is only 3km.

Actually they are not an IM body so they spesifically state that the organisers can decide at their own descretion and the average water temps that time of the year are 22 degrees.......... Anyways there is a difference in swimming in clear hawaian like waters and the muddy waters of PE.........

But thanks for that in anycase. Was trying to block that out until I get there

Watched this event last year on dish and it was good. Lots of Top athletes took part. Cool thing of it you ran along Yas Marina and the cycle leg goes partly on the F1 circuit at Yas Marina. Enjoy your trip. Abu Dhabi is awesome to visit. I was lucky enough to go to the F1 last year.

Watched this event last year on dish and it was good. Lots of Top athletes took part. Cool thing of it you ran along Yas Marina and the cycle leg goes partly on the F1 circuit at Yas Marina. Enjoy your trip. Abu Dhabi is awesome to visit. I was lucky enough to go to the F1 last year.

It just makes sense. 3km swim, 200km and 20km run is perfect 6 weeks before PE. You can recover in time. If it was 42km run maybe not!

Also its not that expensive....

Normally if you fly down to PE and all that the whole trip also comes down to R10k.

So I will do this and then go cheapskate in PE. Drive down with other people etc.....

Deon Braun from Go Multi did it in 2011 and wrote an article for the magazine afterwards.

iirc he had an enjoyable experience.

cool thx. Found it on google....

You know IM train so hard.... might just as well reward ourselves with racing at exotic locations!

I saw it on supersport a while back. It looks hot, flat and boring, especially the bike.

I like hot and flat.... PS:- on the website it says the max that time of the year is 28 degrees which is perfect.

Not sure what you mean with boring?

Cycling around a massive ocean city and over the F1 track and over islands seems better than Germiston or PE!!!???

If you book now on Emerates its R6,600 per ticket from Joburg - Abu Dhabi (via Dubai) and back.

Then you can stay at the Hilton Hotel for 2 nights BB included for R1,500. This Hotel is next to transition.

So what remains is entry, your visa and pocket money.

Go read what the pros say about the race, they all seem to like it.

I've been to abu dhabi. not much to excite me, but if you're into creative ways to waste cash, then you'll enjoy it(skyscrapers in a desert being a good one!)

http://www.abudhabitriathlon.com/

Anyone done this before?

I am going to do it.

Total costs R10k. Thats not bad! And it is perfectly timed before PE.

That's the cost for 4 of us to race for 3 days in the cederberg next week. and it includes a half day of whitewater rafting!

If you're worried about the cost of triathlons, start adventure racing(ridiculous, really):

http://quantumadventures.co.za/page-content.php?pageid=77

I like hot and flat.... PS:- on the website it says the max that time of the year is 28 degrees which is perfect.

Not sure what you mean with boring?

Cycling around a massive ocean city and over the F1 track and over islands seems better than Germiston or PE!!!???

There was a shot from the air of the guys cycling out into the desert on a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG flat rode with nothing but flat desert on either side as far as the eye could see. The thougth of 100km out into a desert and then 100km back again just doesn't appeal to me. I prefer interesting bike courses, hills, bends, supporters and the like.

That being said, the Arabs do things properly so I would imagine it will be a very well organized race.

I spent a lot of time on business in AD a couple of years ago. If you can stay at this hotel:

http://www.rotana.com/rotanahotelandresorts/unitedarabemirates/abudhabi/beachrotana

it is much nicer than the Hilton, I have stayed at both. It is a proper "resort" hotel.

Thanks!

Ja I hear you. But in my experience in general the first time you ride any course it is fun or interesting......

The cradle is quite entertaining but since I have done it 30 times already I would probably rather do a spin class in my toilet as this point in time!

And on a 180km route you are bound to get bored somewhere!!

Even Kona's bike route looks very *** at some areas.

Also I will just ride a photo along with me of an Oasis and whenever I feel bored or tired I will take it out and look at it. Mind over matter

I stayed at the Rotana when I was there. In the middle of town, right next door to a decent mall. Its about half hour by bus to Yas Marina circuit and Ferrari world. They have something like 8 restaurants all with its own theme. Its 4 star but definitely higher than that in my opinion. View from hotel. The new complex Souwa Island opposite should be complete by now.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q605/shaheedosman/A47EAFED-1C49-461E-8BA7-B7F17FB42BFA-5417-0000049EADF42EF5.jpg

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q605/shaheedosman/6084BF9D-244C-45CA-AC55-C96214A1D9E1-5417-0000049E6DB3E79E.jpg

Edited by MCipollini