2012 MTN Gravel Travel XCM ... what a rip off

grumpy

You came here to open up a can-of-whoop-ass, but instead opened up a can of worms.

Oh and yeah, this race would have been worth the R170 + R35 (+ R30).

Edited by BlinkFan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to crucify the poor guy.

On the topic of races, i have no idea on what the organizing costs are, but i also feel that the people saw an oportunity in the mtb'ing segment. Paying R200 per race, with all these extra day licences and what not even though you are a ppa member baffles me.

I also feel ripped off sometimes.

Ps: sorry for the spelling.

Edited by wheelerdealer

It's amazing, one guy has a go at Grumpy and you all gang up on him.

Good Hub etiquette.

Yes, R30 is not a lot, but I agree with him. He entered, he paid what was asked of him, then he arives there and is told he must spend another R30.

Isn't that ilegal in terms of the CPA?

I have no idea whether this happened or not as I haven't seen the entry forms, but all requirements of entry should have been explained before they took his money and not in an SMS later.

On the entries page there is an option stating whether you would like to purchase a new number board or use the one already allocated to you(if its not your first race). Its your own stupidity if you dont read through the entry correctly and arrogant to throw a tantrum if you dont have your facts straight about it.

This is not a church bazaar race. It conforms to UCI regulations and you compete with some of the best in SA. It is also rated as one of the best courses around. The funriders are split from the more serious riders with the shorter routes being split from the marathon and ultra. The OP clearly should n

Ot have entered for this particular event and will not see the value add for Tulbagh or Attakwas either. Rather go and do the PPA dirt-roadie church bazaar rides.

I would like to vent some steam over being ripped off.

A few weeks ago I entered to do the MTN Gravel Travel MTB race.. driven by Nissan, the entry fee was R170 plus R30 for a CSA day license, being an early bird I managed to get a R30 discount bringing the total to R175.

Nowhere was any mention made of addition fee's for number boards

A few days ago I received an email from the organisers with the following statement.

"Please bring your number boards with, these number boards are your personal boards to be used at all MTN, Nissan Series and SAS Seeding friendly events. Lost boards will be charged a replacement fee of R50.

New boards will also be issued on the day if you do not yet have one."

I took note of the statement and wrongly assumed that the cost of the board was covered in the entry fee.

When I went to collect the race documents I was asked to pay R30 toward the cost of the board, when I pointed out that I was not interested in seeding for the MTN series and did not need the board I was told to pay or not race, I pointed out that they simply cannot add costs at the very end to which the lady replied that they can.

To make a long story short I declined to do the race, I refuse to being ripped off, the MTN / Nissan series can do without my support

This was the Second best marathon course I have ever done. The best being Karkloof.

The price was totally worth it and it does give you the option to take the number board when you register to race. You should read the whole thing when you enter. As a guy who does races like Sani2c - Pioneer etc etc, How is R30 too much for you? Was it perhaps a little bit cold and wet?

PS, see you on the trails soon bud

Grumpy, the name says it all.

How much did you pay to get there? And then can it for R30? The mind boggles some times.

+1

And the R30 for the number board is not a lot if you take into account that the board can be used for all the races in the MTN national XCM series. I have purchased my board in 2008, and they changed it for free when the timing system changed. Used it a 11 races, so for less than R3 a race the board is actually cheap.

You didnt want to be ripped off another R30 rand so you throw away R175, you are pissing into the wind bud,well done..

A gholf ball costs R30 and sometimes you hit it only once .Racing fees are still cheap in my opinion.The petrol to get to the race is more

Just got back from the 45km . It was an awesome ride, probably the best route of the season so far. For the price of a cheese sandwich u really missed out . The race was worth every cent the water points had coke, juice, chocolate, sweets, bananas and oranges. I didnt even need a water bottle. The event was top class.

Stop being such a wienner and just pay your entry dingbat, staging races is a very expensive excirsize and its assholes like you who whine about R30 that really amuses me, but you will spend hours on your phone and on the internet, you want to be timed and you just. Want ,want and again want, maybe you should be a ANC politician, you have the right attitude,

You probably buy grey imported dvd's and branded sneakers made by some kid in either a Indian or Chinese sweatshop but you have the nerve to complain about R30 for a number boardm get a life

Hi Baster Bark

Your response is in line with your hub name, must have a small weenie....

I have no problem paying R30 if I knew beforehand what was in store for me, the attitude of the staff handing out the race documents was arrogant and that set me off.

It is understandable that the benefits of a SAS board is not clear to Cape Town based riders. In Gauteng most races are timed by Spectrum. Graveltravel is the only MTN/Nissan race in the Cape.

Max Knox 1st

Gravity last.

i would happily pay another 30bucks for that.

it was a total blast.

if any of the organisers are on here, thanks alot, really that was kiff.

It is understandable that the benefits of a SAS board is not clear to Cape Town based riders. In Gauteng most races are timed by Spectrum. Graveltravel is the only MTN/Nissan race in the Cape.

Tulbagh aswell