IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

Well if Ironman is your first tri then RESPECT! But im certain that 99% of entrants would have done some type of tri by then

HAHA.. I entered the Hartes (21 oct) and Vanderbijl (2 Dec) BSG tri's last night so it should be no.3... Anyone doing those?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But you are not normal :whistling: I did a 3 day stage trail race totalling 75km . At the time my first run over 22kms. But im sure you did a smaller race beore that.... but like i said if its your first time then - RESPECT! Having to navigate your first transition zone that has over 3000 athletes can be quite intimidating im sure

Ja, I ran a marathon on the road.

Haha, ja poor thing. You will make errors in trnasition if this is your first tri race! Best you do a BSG or a olympic distance man!!! So many things that can go wrong. Or train transitions in your garden. Wetsuit on, get in the pool biatch. ok get out quikly etc etc.

Come to think of it, I can bacome a transition coach!.

Get down and give me 20 helmet on and offs!!

Get down and give me 20 helmet on and offs!!

I can see a "Coach Garf's transition battle plan" thread coming soon.

HAHA.. I entered the Hartes (21 oct) and Vanderbijl (2 Dec) BSG tri's last night so it should be no.3... Anyone doing those?

Yeah, I'll also be thrashing out those 2 BSG events.. (+ Sasolburg this sunday)

there is also JHB City Tri on the 28th Oct to consider, sprint and olympic dist. (check out the TSA website)

racing is your best training for racing ! :whistling: :drool:

drafting was a huge problem at this years 70.3. But the organisers are very aware of it and Paul Woolf was very vocal about it in the race briefing for the full Ironman. He advised that in future refs will be told to stop the entire bunch and release riders one at a time. They are furthermore going to increase the number of groups going off, so this should spread the field. In terms of DQ's, you need to attend the race briefings the day before the race, even if you have done the race a couple of times. I saw someone drop a gel 5 meters outside the litter zone and get DQ'd! he had no one to blame but himself as this was highlighted in the race briefing, which I suspect he had not attended. The "poor" guy was running down Bunkers hill on the way to the finish! what a way to go!

Yeah, I'll also be thrashing out those 2 BSG events.. (+ Sasolburg this sunday)

there is also JHB City Tri on the 28th Oct to consider, sprint and olympic dist. (check out the TSA website)

racing is your best training for racing ! :whistling: :drool:

Ja for sure I think the BSG's are a little on the short side to really be prep. What is olympic distance?

Standard Distance and Olympic Distance are the same:

• 1.5km swim
  • 40km bike
  • 10km run

Standard Distance = No drafting

Olympic distance = Drafting permitted

5150 and the Jhb Tri Series are all Standard Distance races.

Edited by davem

Ja for sure I think the BSG's are a little on the short side to really be prep. What is olympic distance?

1.5/40/10 .... BSG will hone your transition skills as they are also quite well attended. IM uses the bag system which is a little different anyways

1.5km swim / 40km bike / 10km run

the course is flat and fast..

The best training for T1 at 70.3 would be try taking your wetsuit off in the middle of Xmas shopping at Cresta on 23rd Dec.

Complete chaos, nowhere to sit down. Lots of people running past jostling you while you are trying to stand on one leg.

The best training for T1 at 70.3 would be try taking your wetsuit off in the middle of Xmas shopping at Cresta on 23rd Dec.

Complete chaos, nowhere to sit down. Lots of people running past jostling you while you are trying to stand on one leg.

:clap: the most accurate description yet!

Unless you going for podium position whats the rush ? garf does t1 in 2m I do it in 4m. in my 4m i get to survey the scenery, watch the chaos from the outside, develop a smile, take in the hot babes watching, give my wife a kiss, stroll into t1 and casually do my stuff.

1.5km swim / 40km bike / 10km run

the course is flat and fast..

that part almost has me sold! Where is the swim?

Where is the swim?

That is quite flat too normally :w00t:

Not so fast...

Edited by davem