Cape Town Riders. Submit your TMNP MTB trails. Legal or illegal.

kandui

Also, sorry to say this, but just because you started a club, does not mean you speak for all who ride the hills.

Seriously? Whats your problem.

Having met and ridden with a Rob a few times I can say he has nothng but the best intentions for riders who use the mountain. Unlike you - he has taken a significant amount of his personal time to deal with people you and I wouldnt to try and get a long term sustainable relationship that will benefit all - not just you and your hidden trails.

What have you done for MTB? or the enviroment?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nishiki. Just to be clear. The Table Mountain MTB Forum is not my club. If you want to trash the TMMTB website, then speak to Meurant Botha who whipped it up. We prefer to get things done instead of sitting in meetings and chomping on biscuits.

If you want to trash my club, then go to www.tablemountainbikers.co.za , take a look and come back here and vent.

If you have something meaningful to contribute, or want more clarity then by all means give me a call on 083 6319796 . If not, then don't call me.

If by 'meaningful' you mean tell you where we are riding on the hill, then I don't have anything to contribute.

Instead of giving away your precious trail locations, how about general areas?

1.Signal Hill on the Sea Point and Fresnaye slopes. the Kramat to View Point trail

2.Lions Head- the trails around it

3.The Glen downhill track

4.Various tracks leading into Higgovale and Oranjezicht

5.Hiking trail from the Kings Blockhouse towards Tafelberg Road

6. Trail from the Blockhouse towards Newlands.Include the turnstile track

7. Animal tracks in the Rhodes Memorial precinct

8. Newlands Forest , between Rhodes Memorial fence and Kirstenbosch Gardens

9.Cecilia Forest up to the Reservoirs

10. Cecilia Forest to Constantia Nek

11. De Hel

12. Constantia Green Belt, next to Rhodes Drive

The list goes on.

Guest Omega Man

Are 'The Glen' trails legal?

No. You aren't allowed there on a bike. But on the bright side your dog is allowed to **** the place to smithereens, You are allowed to smoke as much tik and weed as you like there and you are allowed to shag as many prostitutes as you want. By the look of the litter on the ground condom use however is required.

Don't go there on a bike tho. You'll be arrested for trespassing.

Edited by Omega Man

If by 'meaningful' you mean tell you where we are riding on the hill, then I don't have anything to contribute.

Cool. Thanks for playing.

Furthermore: Okes, stop being a bunch of Bitches!!! At least guys are trying to better the Sport of MTB and not just simply "free-riding" like most and take on okes like SanParks and build trails etc. I take my hat off to anyone who does anything to promote and better MTB, build trails etc. You will find the okes bitching on the hub and not doing anything constructive are probably the same ones dragging their back wheels down singletracks!!!

Seriously? Whats your problem.

Having met and ridden with a Rob a few times I can say he has nothng but the best intentions for riders who use the mountain. Unlike you - he has taken a significant amount of his personal time to deal with people you and I wouldnt to try and get a long term sustainable relationship that will benefit all - not just you and your hidden trails.

What have you done for MTB? or the enviroment?

Hey, my opinion on the way San Parks operates is different to yours. The truth though is seen in the way they handle Tokai, the way they deal with crime hotspots on the hill etc. etc etc. Rob might be a stand up guy, that's not the dispute. The issue is in him wanting riders to disclose all of the spots they ride, so he can hand a list of these spots over to the park.

What's the plan? Riding doesn't need to be about clubs and meetings. Some of us just go out and ride. I completely disagree with the idea of submitting this info over, and I absolutely feel that these clubs do not represent all mountain users.

Feel free to your views.

Guest Omega Man

Hey, my opinion on the way San Parks operates is different to yours. The truth though is seen in the way they handle Tokai,

Changes are happening at Tokai through the efforts primarily of Deon (Pain or shine) He gives significant amounts of his time for free to deal with parks and the riders. Much like Rob is on TM.

BTW. There's a build day at Tokai on Sunday. Come and help out.

Hey, my opinion on the way San Parks operates is different to yours. The truth though is seen in the way they handle Tokai, the way they deal with crime hotspots on the hill etc. etc etc. Rob might be a stand up guy, that's not the dispute. The issue is in him wanting riders to disclose all of the spots they ride, so he can hand a list of these spots over to the park.

What's the plan? Riding doesn't need to be about clubs and meetings. Some of us just go out and ride. I completely disagree with the idea of submitting this info over, and I absolutely feel that these clubs do not represent all mountain users.

Feel free to your views.

Not wanting to give away 'your' secrets is one think - acting like a nob is another. Rob has made more effort towards this than you ever will so if you have nothing positive to add - then why reposnd? do you need attention?

As to my question - what are your contributions to the sport?

Are 'The Glen' trails legal?

It isn't. When asked by the Head Ranger for the Northern section of the park, how they could stop cycling on the non-cycling trails, my answer was simple. You can't. So instead of trying to stop it, why not try and manage it? Managing takes less resources than prosecuting as the riders would take over a certain responsibility as well. If we break the rules, we stand to lose a privilege as well.

These are some of the suggestions I put forward:

1.Shared trails with runners and hikers on trial basis. Mark the trail heads, informing the public and see how it goes. Keep a log of complaints and if we coexist, extend the trial period. I proposed the Kramat to View Point trail as it sees heavy use by runners and cyclists already.

2. Shared trails with one-way access for cyclists

3. Open Trail days. Open certain areas of the park once a month for cyclists.

4. Night Rides. There are established night rides in some areas where are not supposed to ride. Make night riding legal in certain areas as there is no conflict with other users at night.The question of disturbing animals may come up,but there are areas like the Green Belt which could be used at night.

5. Instead of us demanding new single track being built off the bat, why not look at the trails already there and see how suitable they are for cycling? Come up with a suitability index and then open up a trail , again on a trial basis. I am referring to the trails outside of the Tokai precinct.

I'm sure there are plenty more ideas out there. Those suggestions are also useful and would be appreciated.

Edited by kandui

you guys do realise that only a handful of people are members on the hub!

There are so many people riding whether roadies or mtb'ers that dont even know where they should and shouldnt ride! I have spoken to a few, and all they say is, its a dirt track or jeep track why cant they ride there?

So instead of trying to find out what trails etc, how about an awareness campaign that really speaks to the masses, maybe demo days, newspaper adds, tv adds, mail drops etc.

Not wanting to give away 'your' secrets is one think - acting like a nob is another. Rob has made more effort towards this than you ever will so if you have nothing positive to add - then why reposnd? do you need attention?

As to my question - what are your contributions to the sport?

Stop making this an ad hominem argument dude. I could just as well ask you what have you done.

This is about my absolute disagreement with riders submitting to this, and for clubs to think they represent all of the riders out there. Simple. Now grow up pal and argue like a man. Calling me names doesn't mean a thing.

You guys must READ and UNDERSTAND before typing - this is what kandui is getting at. Opening up a constructive platform for Sanparks to understand our needs. They have simply never understood how to get hikers and MTB'rs to use the same trails - kanduis work is trying to rectify this.

Stop making this an ad hominem argument dude. I could just as well ask you what have you done.

This is about my absolute disagreement with riders submitting to this, and for clubs to think they represent all of the riders out there. Simple. Now grow up pal and argue like a man. Calling me names doesn't mean a thing.

Do you even read what is posted? It was all explained - it is not Rob's personal club - it is a forum along with others working to try and make things better for all people who love using the mountain. Hence his request for input

Edited by JGR