The cost of 2013 Argus.....Phew!!

It's me man

My advice to anyone is do it at least once for the experience.

I've done 10 and if i can get the logistics sorted, will collect my yellow number next year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just booked for my son ( 1st argus ) and myself and unfortunately had to renew PPA family membership,

R 1048-00 !!

most of the staff n marshals are volunteers, coke sponsor as do many other headline sponsors, there is a request for R120 donation for cycling development which i don't have a problem with, so where does

R10 500 000-00 go ( 35000 cyclists @ R300 )?

Well I would imagine it costs a fair bit to close the roads for 15hrs. Then theres

medical,

refreshments,

control,

logistics,

the encampments at the start,

entertainment and refreshments at finish,

salaries,

wages for temp staff,

thats just a few of the items. On top of all that, I see they allocated 1.85mil to project funding in 2011.

Let me know if you think you can do it cheaper

It's had a strong charity focus pretty much since it started.

Have a look at this link: http://www.cycletour.co.za/index.php/causes/beneficiaries/

'The PPA and Claremont Rotary currently share over R5,5-million in Cycle Tour proceeds, making the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour an event with a lot of heart.'

At least one gets to hear and see what the Cycletour does for the community and cycling in the Cape whilst here in Jozi we do not know what happens with the proceeeds of the 94.7cyce challenge charity wise.

I'm contemplating the Argus, but.....seeing that i've only just started cycling, let me do the 94.7 first and see if i still feel up for Argus! :unsure:

I think the Argus is overated, last did it in 1997 (1 and only)

You know what, onpar I happily pay the R3500+ that the ARGUS weekend costs (race entry, bike transport, airfares from Gauteng, accommodation and other expenses).

The reason: you’re not paying for a race entry...you’re buying a once in a lifetime experience, and the tremendous privilege to:

…be part of the largest participation sporting event in the world.

…experience the excitement and exhilaration at number pick-up, at the ARGUS show and pretty much across Cape Town where everybody, talks, eats and drinks cycling for that entire weekend.

…do the world’s best pre-race training ride, taking Victoria Road out to Noordhoek past Camps Bay and Hout Bay (and quietly crying when you see, and ride Suikerbossie and Chappies…).

…feel a sense of being part of history when riding down to the start in Hertzog Boulevard with its Colonial buildings and rich heritage, at daybreak.

…feel the fine, salty sea mist on your skin when you descend into Scarborough…on cycle back!

…that first beer after the finish line…and one hell of a party where the race is ridden over and over again in many conversations.

And finally

…enjoy sore-leg-sun-downers in Blouberg, glancing across Table Bay and the peninsula with a sense of achievement, pride and nostalgia – knowing that you have conquered it.

I hope that this will ease the pain of paying and training…

post-36036-0-83478100-1347268068.jpg

Indemnity: I’m not a Cycle Tour PR employee…I swear! :P ;)

My advice to anyone is do it at least once for the experience.

I've done 10 and if i can get the logistics sorted, will collect my yellow number next year.

Nice one, scotty.

True.

It's a spectacular day for road cycling on the SA calendar - whether you're a race snake or weekend warrior.

Lots of good is done with the proceeds.

One year I spoke to the people that help at the start and they all volunteer for an NPO, they get a sum of the money for helping out.

The lovely lady told me they paint schools, install libraries ect through out the year and this is where their volunteer money goes.

To the OP. Make sure you don't renew PPA subs et al to only do this race. That's what has the fee loaded! Pick 4 other races in the calender and drag junior off to those as well. Yes you'll spend more money doing all of them, but then the discounts of joining and doing more races start to make it worthwhile.

Argus weekend is a winning weekend for anyone who enjoys riding a bicycle.

I decided a couple of years ago that the cost of travelling (without the family) for a self indulgent weekend couldn't really be justified. That said I currently still consider the Argus a must-do. So to fix the condundrem I make sure that the trip is essentially free except for the entry fee and possibly bike transport...

To explain, I entered and booked travel this past weekend as follows:

- flight on Kulula - 35% discount thanks to vitality and balance paid with discovery miles

- accommodation @ southern sun - 50% vitality discount balance paid with discovery miles

- car rental - will be paid with ebucks or discovery miles (wasn't able to book when I tried - I think its too far in advance...)

Do it like that and its the best R300 you'll ever spend.

waffle waffle waffle

that first beer after the finish line…and one hell of a party where the race is ridden over and over again in many conversations.

more waffle waffle waffle

are you outta your cottin pickin' mind ?

That should be beer number 6 or so ...... muizenburg, simonstown, smits, noordhoek, houtbay, camps bay ....... its called the CYCLE TOUR ... if you dont take longer than 6 hours to ride this you have not been on a tour.

Hopefully no Boyes Drive next year, so will be a bit easier than this years tour!

No Boyes drive !!, that is confirmed. flat ocean view ride from muizenberg to simons town

To the OP. Make sure you don't renew PPA subs et al to only do this race. That's what has the fee loaded! Pick 4 other races in the calender and drag junior off to those as well. Yes you'll spend more money doing all of them, but then the discounts of joining and doing more races start to make it worthwhile.

Argus weekend is a winning weekend for anyone who enjoys riding a bicycle.

yep, unfortunately me subs fall due about this time of year, so every year its a whine, but admittedly with roughly about 7 rides a year it does even out. just noted that Argus is twice the price of your average burger or knysna ride.

are you outta your cottin pickin' mind ?

That should be beer number 6 or so ...... muizenburg, simonstown, smits, noordhoek, houtbay, camps bay ....... its called the CYCLE TOUR ... if you dont take longer than 6 hours to ride this you have not been on a tour.

No man, there is a way around that! Waffle waffle...

post-36036-0-59277200-1347278584.jpg

:D