A rave for my wife

HappyMartin

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats. 200km race? Definitely trying to kill you. Why didnt she enter you in DC here? Maybe cops here will ask too many questions. Btw dont pass any riders on climbs. You saw what happened in France.

• 9 months later...

A belated follow up.

Did the race. Measured it at 210km on my garmin. 3900m of climbing. Windy as hell, rain for the first 100km. It was not an easy ride at all but I loved it. Mate that did it with me had previously done a 7:30 and was hoping to go faster. Conditions were so hard he did a 8:50. I was quite pleased with my 8:20.

How to compare to races here. Firstly it was harder than anything I have done here. On the organization side there were many things that would have had Hubbers totally enraged.

12000 entrants and only 4 start groups. Imagine trying that here.

First water point at 56 km after the first climb. The first climb by the way was a little leg warmer not ever going above 12% and only 5km long. Imagine the Argus had its first water point after Smits Winkle.

Short route was 130km and they started and finished with the long route guys

No road closure but for the most part there was no space for cars so they seemed to just stay away

Not much potholes but frequent trips through narrow lanes over cobbles of various villages.

Good mechanical support but you paid for all spares and work in cash up front

At the start a level crossing was closed for a train to come through splitting our start group in half and then jamming us in with the next start group. Made our group about 4500 people.

R900 entry fee.

Goody bag consisted of a collection of free samples of stuff all in Italian. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to eat it or rub it on my bum. Nice wind proof thingy though. If only they got the sizes right.

It was a wonderful experience. I loved every moment. I will never forget the fun I had.

Again a big thanks to my wife. You are the best.

Riiight...tick that one off the list... what's next??

What's next? Good question. Always wanted to do the ride from Lhasa to Kathmandu. We went to Tibet for our Honeymoon so............

Great story.

Traveling is one of the special special things to do

I agree with that. One also learn so much more about yourself and the other person.

It is deffo one of my hobbies.

Today is our 6th anniversary and my wife woke me with a cup of coffe and a lovely gift

Next year in May we go to Italy for a 10 day cycling holiday including a visit to the Pantani museum and a race. Might need advice for a training plan as the race is 200km and has 3800m of climbing. Perhaps she is trying to kill me now I think of it.

What a holiday it will be what a fantastic gift. What a totally awesome woman I am married to. She is the best in every way every day

Well done and congrats on your 6th.

Enjoy it while it lasts, cause you don't wanna hear what is in store for your 25th, I just had to rebond my house to keep the peace