Chain Reaction Cycles experience

Clinton1

I know there are lots of discussions about overseas online ordering on here but I just thought I'd share my experience with CRC for others who have not tried it and would like to know. For those who know it all ( :) ) you can stop reading now ;)

Placed an order 26/08/2012 (a Sunday) at 14:53pm while the sale was on for delivery via standard postage. I was concerned about stock issues so I placed the order in a rush once I'd chosen some items. I then (stupidly) continued perusing the site and saw other items that appealed to me. Tried to add these to the order already placed online but it is not possible. So I placed the second order, again not wanting to lose out on the price and stock.

On Monday, as soon as their offices opened I phoned them via Skype to try and see if we could join the two orders to save delivery but they do not budge on their policy to not amend orders, even though they had not been processed the orders. I suppose I can understand as they do receive a lot of orders but in previous interactions with Evan's Cycles they have been happy to accommodate changes. But so be it though. It just meant an extra R99 for delivery.

First lesson learnt - you can't amend an order with CRC. You'd need to cancel and reorder.

After reading all over the internet about people experiencing parcels not arriving via SA postal services, the wait began.... the website says 4-8 days (excluding weekends) but I assumed this would be unlikely.

Anyway, this morning 10 September 2012 (10 workings days after the orders were placed!) I checked my post box and there was the slip for the first order to be picked up:

Goods valued at R514.43 (gloves, cycling jersey, multi tool)

No duties

VAT of R63.81

Clearance fee of R15.

Picked up from the post office and paid.

Then to my surprise I got back home and a short while later someone from the post office knocked on my door with the second order:

Goods valued at R631.37 (Salomon shoes, cycling jersey)

Duties of R172.67 (30% shoes, 40% jersey)

VAT of R106.00

Clearance fee of R30.

Second lesson learnt - with customs, you win some, you lose some.

So all in all it seems I got real lucky with my delivery via normal postal services, and partly lucky (the first order) when it came to duties, or things aren't nearly as bad as some make out (or experience).

I'll definitely consider doing so again. I'm sure the provider does make a difference as I am still awaiting an tiny order (around R100) placed in July with Dino Direct!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just placed my 3rd order yesterday in as little as two months. Prices have been good. I recieved my first order within 3 weeks. Waiting for the next one this week hopefully. I opted for free postage as their is no rush. Save where I can. My credit card though is being trashed.

Ordered about 3 or 4 times from CRC. No problems at all. But I have heard of other people who had a lot of probs with them... as long as they fix the problem for you it's fine!

It's not about the amount slip ups, but how they fix the slip ups!

No problems either. More than 30 orders placed.

Their aftersale service has been superb, instant replacement of broken parts, and quick easy swap out of incorrect items.

My biggest worry is always with the local post office and things going awry this side, it often takes longer to get through our efficient postal systems than getting the items here from the UK, go figure.

Until the local stores match their prices, availability, and choice, I will keep supporting them.

CRC isn't the problem. It's our local postage services. 5 days from Ireland to DBN International and a further two weeks to get from DBN Central post Office to DBN North!!!

I have been part of a large order from CRC that included parts and clothes. That order was split due to stock issues. We paid our duties as expected on some items and slipped through on others. Not really sure how customs work their stuff out...

All in all no problems though :thumbup:

I have done several CRC orders over the years and have never had a problem.

But since they changed their shipping policy, things take a LOT longer and there seem to be more stories about items not arriving. But that is more Royal Mail & SAPO - not CRC.

post-615-0-27780000-1347279757.jpg

Also no complaints with CRC. Must agree that most of the delay sits with our reliable postal service as well as customs clearing

Done ALOT of orders through them, never had issues, but I also do shipping with tracking, even if the purchase qualify for free shipment.

My most recent order went missing. Ordered BB and crank cap was R300 in total and had it sent via Royal mail due to total cost. Placed order in May by end of September it had not arrived. Filled in CRC missing in action form and they resent the order. Less than a week later the 2nd order arrived. So win some loose some. The IMPORTANT thing here is that CRC resent the order at their own cost, no hassles, and it did arrive. I can only assume CRC have some sort of insurance covering orders going missing in the post.

I ordered a few times from them and always had it sent via normal post. However the last time CRC took it upon themselves to supply me with somthing different to what I ordered. Now while I like the gesture, it would have been better served if they emailed me with options for to choose from instead of giving me somthing which I did not like. Needless to say i had to sell a new item on Gumtree and I dont buy from them anymore. I know they would have swopped etc, but I did not have the energy or the patience for that. For me it is either get it right or dont waste my time!!

Ordered from them a few times. Also had an episode with a changed order due to my trigger happy clicking, but they sorted it out with no hassles. (Ordered a white rim in stead of a black one)

So ya, only had good service from them thus far. :thumbup:

A friend once ordered shoes, jerseys and t-shirts as part of an order and was hammered with 40% duties. So I make a point of it not to order clothing. Customs basically added duty to ALL goods in the order, not only to the shoes etc.

Expensive lesson it was for him.

Edited by whistler

Ordered plenty of times, never an issue.

The delay is mainly due to cutoms who seem to take forever before releasing into our postal system. Is really hit and miss with customs, some items cleared within a day or two, others a couple of weeks.

Have all arrived so far using the standard delivery. Even on the standard delivery there is a tracking number with the email confirmation, so no need to pay extra for this service and you can track the goods internationally and locally :thumbup:

Hijack on. Anyone ordered from bike24.net out of Germany. Prices good and €20 postage. Campy prices not too bad. Hijack off.

Damn you - just ordered my campy groupset from Probikekit. I thought I was getting a deal. Bike24's prices are impressive! R8k cheaper than what you would pay locally - and that includes customs and duties.

Still waiting for a multi-tool I ordered on 29 June 2012.....was shipped through Royal Mail and the post office cannot track anything cause there is no tracking number...

I am still waiting for that slip in the post box to tell me to collect.... WTF!