Tall (dark & handsome) Boy

Delilah

N, I'd still rather get the Reba. Far more plush than the SID. And cheeper as well...

Yep, if they would only get some tapered ones :(

What the heck is wrong with fork manufacturers? WHY are most 29er forks white???? This is SSSOOOOOO frustrating! :angry: Maybe we should tell Julias about this - Rock Shox and Fox are clearly being extremely racist!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have stripped and sprayed many a white fork.....no weight gain and stickers are replaceable.....

I like the way you think! :thumbup: Have been contemplating the possibility myself.

Please don't ruin it with a white fork.. Paint one if you must...

Don't worry, there is NO way I'm putting a white fork on a black frame. :lol:

Think I should try and find a Sid WC at a good price, strip it and have it powder-coated black. No decal will completely cover every last bit of white. Also, for some reason, I can only find straight steerer Rebas - even in white. :huh: At least the WC will be really light.

This is some learning experience.

A lot of people who love cycling always buy complete bikes an never build (or have one built up) from parts. I've learned that a custom build, especially your first, is fun but stressful and hard work too. It forces you to read up about all the parts of a bike that you usually take for granted and just expect to always work. You have to weigh options and cost. There are MANY opinions out there, most are really well-founded and all are divergent! I now know considerably more about bike bits than before and have to say it came as a shock when it dawned on me how many different configurations exist for every single part AND how tricky it can be to assemble a whole that will all fit together and work!

Respect to all bike designers and builders :thumbup:

This is some learning experience.

A lot of people who love cycling always buy complete bikes an never build (or have one built up) from parts. I've learned that a custom build, especially your first, is fun but stressful and hard work too. It forces you to read up about all the parts of a bike that you usually take for granted and just expect to always work. You have to weigh options and cost. There are MANY opinions out there, most are really well-founded and all are divergent! I now know considerably more about bike bits than before and have to say it came as a shock when it dawned on me how many different configurations exist for every single part AND how tricky it can be to assemble a whole that will all fit together and work!

Respect to all bike designers and builders :thumbup:

It is fun and the bad news is you will keep changing things. My blue TallBoy is build up like this:

Wheels: Whyte titanium hubs with Crest rims.

Quarq SRAM crank

XX FD and RD

XX Grip shifts

XT brakes

SID Worldcup fork

I have not ever weighed it.

Edited by Newboy

A summary of the fork predicament:

This bike will be for playing. I already have a race-ready XC bike. So, I want 120mm of front travel. This can be achieved by either buying a 120mm travel fork or a 100mm Sid/Reba that can be adjusted by the LBS. The fork has to be black eventually, so either purchased like that or powder-coated. No 9mm QR. My front hub is 15mm Maxle. This can be converted to 9mm QR (don't want to, don't like it) or 20mm Maxle (if I absolutely have to).

So, in searching for a fork I have found that:

- All current Reba RL/RLT models are either 15mm with straight steerer OR 9mm QR tapered (That rules out Reba RL and RLT)

- The highly regarded Reba RLT Ti tapered is only to be found in 20mm Maxle and heavy trail-specific guise for 29ers. These weigh in excess of 1.87kg. This is the heaviest shock in this list. I've found a 120mm travel in white and a 140mm travel in black. The 140mm black = R5969 from Buycycle. Will also need a conversion kit for front hub.

- Sid XX WC 15mm tapered can be had for R8500 :cursing: from Summit Bikes and will have to be powder coated and adjusted to 120mm travel.

- Fox 32 Float Kashima 120mm (all of them in white only) @1.8kg weighs almost the same as Fox 32 Talas Kashima 120mm @ 1.84kg (can be had in black) according to the Fox website: http://www.foxracingshox.com/filter.php?m=bike&t=forks&f1=wheel&v1=29&ref=topnav Price for the Talas = $730 ex VAT and duties from Merlin Cycles

- CRC have the 2013 Sid RCT3 tapered 15 Maxle 120mm in black weighing about 1.6kg. It is solo air though and less adjustable. Price = R7166 ex VAT and duties.

Decisions, decisions :unsure:

Edited by Delilah

Rekon if u plastidip and tape off nicely u wont even have to disassemble fork,or even matt vinyl rap it.Sprayed most of the fairings & frame of a zx750 without removing anything,best part is you can just take either off no problem.

Plastidip def the easier option tho..

Just a thought.. :whistling: :thumbup:

Rekon if u plastidip and tape off nicely u wont even have to disassemble fork,or even matt vinyl rap it.Sprayed most of the fairings & frame of a zx750 without removing anything,best part is you can just take either off no problem.

Plastidip def the easier option tho..

Just a thought.. :whistling: :thumbup:

I've never heard of Plastidip. What is it and where does one buy it locally?

There is a Hubber in Pta that sent me pictures of his fork that was repainted to match is Giant, without being stripped apart. The workmanship looked very good. When I am ready I will do the same.