UCI Road Championships 2012, Linberg, The Netherlands, 15-23 September 2012

'Dale

Dont forget Gold in the Olympic Road Race!

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Photo/sport/General/01/30/87/71/1308771_M01.jpg

Oh yeah, T H A T breakaway in the wet.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Partly the crash and part due to lack of team support. The Dutch and Italians rode as a team. This also makes the Aussies silver quite remarkable.

And no one can call her a wheel sucker who snatched the victory at the last moment. She led the breakaway for about the last 20 k's

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2012/09/voswide-631x421.jpg

Marianne Vos carries the Dutch flag across the line during her home-country worlds win. Photo: Graham Watson

"Dutch superstar Marianne Vos put her five worlds silver medals to bed on the Cauberg Saturday when she stormed away with the women’s elite world road title in Valkenburg, Netherlands.

Rachel Neylan (Australia) was second and Elisa Longo Borghini (Italy) was third.

American Amber Neben was fourth.

Vos countered an attack from Neylan out of a five-rider breakaway low on the final climb of the Cauberg. Vos jumped out to a quick five-second advantage as Neylan and behind her, Longo Borghini, gave chase. Neben tried to draw the three leaders back, but was unable.

Vos ran up the left-hand barriers and carried her advantage over the 1.5km run-in to the finish from the top of the climb.

“I have had an exceptional day,” said Vos. “I was protected throughout the whole race, my team worked brilliantly… Everything went as planned. I attacked relatively early so as to make the race as tough as possible for the others.”

Neylan followed Vos over the line 10 seconds later for silver.

“We knew (Vos) wouldn’t wait until the final stretch,” said Neylan. “I was already happy to be in the team, so a silver medal is exceptional.”

The Dutchwoman’s home world road title follows a world cyclocross championship in January, the overall Giro Donne title in July and gold in the Olympic road race last month. She is also the 2012 World Cup overall champion.

Vos won a world road title in 2006, at the age of 19, and followed that first-year breakout with five consecutive silver medals. She has won five world elite titles in cyclocross, including four straight since 2009, as well as a pair of world titles on the track.

The U.S. squad was riding for time trial silver medalist Evelyn Stevens, but that plan went sideways when Vos jumped across from the peloton to the breakaway a lap earlier than the Americans expected.

“The plan was for me to go in the move to mark for Stevens,” said Neben. “I could hear the roar of the crowd when Vos was bridging up to our group. When we were all together — two Dutch, two Italians — I was trying to figure out how I could win on my own… when Vos attacked on the Cauberg the final lap, it was over.”

Longo Borghini held Neben off on the final approach to the finish above the Cauberg.

“I thought I could keep on her [Vos] wheel until she made her effort on the final climb,” said the Italian. “She was way too fast for me and I paid for the efforts in the other climbs.”

Velonews

Was this due to the crash or was it too long a distance for the the SA ladies that DNF'ed?

I wish these ladies could spend a few WHOLE seasons racing in Europe, not just blocks of action interspersed with local duties - they are at a distinct disadvantage when World's and Olympics roll around.

The SA ladies are good, really good, and need the support to crack the top level of the sport.

I have not seen the race, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt and think that the DNFs are directly or indirectly due to the crash.

128km is not that different from races in SA. I would say that our local races are better preperation for our ladies than men distance wise. This route was also flattish like our home races, with 2 climbs that are steep, short power climbs. (Ive ridden them both).

I also think racing a whole season in Europe would take them to the next level. But that is tough, the weather, racing and money in SA is much nicer, I think it would not be so easy to keep them there for a season.

Edited by Christie

I have not seen the race, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt and think that the DNFs are directly or indirectly due to the crash.

It was very slow speed pile up, I don't think too many injuries, probably more a set back in lost time since the road was blocked for a while. Don't the stragglers get pulled if they are falling behind a certain time in each lap?

Today's 261 km course is gonna deliver some serious action in the men's race.

So many contenders and favorites.

What a fantastic race by Marianne Vos produced yesterday, she was terrific, and awesome result for Ashleigh Moolman in 12th position.

Contador says he will make it interesting today :thumbup:

What time is this by the way?

fantastic race by Marianne Vos produced yesterday, she was terrific,.

Vos is from another planet.

She was bridging the gap, pulling the breakaway, and still finished secs ahead...