Help comparing spec sets please - 1st "real" bike

diverdi

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I called I got Ulrich but he was busy and I've been dealing with Besim since. Seems helpful too but it doesn't hurt to try! Thanks

Goobacks - AL129 looks like a nice bike but I'm a bit short and heavy for a 29er so steering away from it. But another vote for the Momsen range is good too! :thumbup:

I've looked on the SW website ... a few Treks and Shwinns; not much in my price range. Are you saying the store has more models?

Edited by diverdi

I've looked on the SW website ... a few Treks and Shwinns; not much in my price range. Are you saying the store has more models?

For sure, the store in Fourways Crossing has expanded and have a wide range of bikes including Merida and Momsen.

For sure, the store in Fourways Crossing has expanded and have a wide range of bikes including Merida and Momsen.

That's great info - I'll contact them tomorrow. Thanks!

And fyi... Raidon is a far better fork than the xcr.

Agreed - but the AL126 has XCM according to Momsen website. Its the AL129 that has the Raidon (see earlier comments why I'm not looking at 129).

My experience with Sportman's Warehouse is that they are expensive and they shove anybody in their cycling section. That means you get a student, who has never cycled before, giving you advice on bikes. Stay with a proper bike shop..........better service and cheaper prices.

I would stick with a Momsen. They are good value for money and proudly South African. Most of the options that you have quoted are much of a muchness anyway and most brands, in your price category, are going to offer you pretty much the same in terms of spec.

Support the shop that has given you the best service or the salesman that tried the hardest to advise or assist you. They are the ones that deserve your patronage.

Eugene, the fourways SW has just redone their whole floor, and the store manager is a cyclist as well... He's apparently turned the store around and has hired experienced staff, and those not experienced enough he has trained up.

Yeah. Just answering your earlier q though.

Thanks for the input!

My experience with Sportman's Warehouse is that they are expensive and they shove anybody in their cycling section. That means you get a student, who has never cycled before, giving you advice on bikes. Stay with a proper bike shop..........better service and cheaper prices.

I would stick with a Momsen. They are good value for money and proudly South African. Most of the options that you have quoted are much of a muchness anyway and most brands, in your price category, are going to offer you pretty much the same in terms of spec.

Support the shop that has given you the best service or the salesman that tried the hardest to advise or assist you. They are the ones that deserve your patronage.

I will certainly try to support the store thats helped me - provided they have stock. If as per your (and a few others, thanks all) suggestion to go Momsen, I'm not sure that the store has stock of the 126 :-(

Eugene, the fourways SW has just redone their whole floor, and the store manager is a cyclist as well... He's apparently turned the store around and has hired experienced staff, and those not experienced enough he has trained up.

Nice info thanks.

Hi, so I thought I'd give an update on the great bike search.

I called SW Fourways 1st thing this morning and the guy who dealt with me claimed they don't sell Momsens. So either he wasn't all that well trained after all, or in fact they do not sell the bike.

I called Solomons again and was told no chance of a AL126 at this stage, however I was assured that my concerns re the AL129 were misplaced. So I went through and Besim tried to fit me on the the 129 and unfortunately it did not work out. It seems I have relatively long legs and short upper body, so even on the small size bike the handlebars are still uncomfortably a stretch for me.

I was offered the 2013 Trek Skye which was definitely better from a reach point of view, but I'm afraid to say it is in my eyes the most ugly bike since the Chopper (yes I know I'm showing my age!). It was also fairly pricey in comparison with the now never-to-be-mine Momsen :thumbdown:

So I did some more research and came across the Merida Juliet which is another Womens design (but much better on the eye). However so far I haven't been able to find one in my size despite having phoned a number of shops.

Cycle Lab said they may be able to get one in later in the week / next week but for now I remain bikeless and extremely frustrated because I really hoped that by now I'd be riding the thing and not still trying to find a bike that works for me!

Sorry might be my bad, thought i saw Momsen on the floor.

Merida bike give Finish Line cycles a call It's in Kempton Park, 011 391 6912 speak to Clint or Arthur, they might have one

Have you tried Linden Cycles to see what they got.Then there's also Westdene cycles, they have a few bike ranges as well.

Edited by scotty