The Audiophile/reference music thread.

Wyatt Earp

When I bought me a set of KEF bookshelf speakers about 15 years ago (back when I had cash!) the track to use for reference was The Cranberries track "Zombie". that will get those Base and Mid-ranges working for their money, to earn their keep!

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fruity,

Now these are a good looking set of cans!

And price, if you don't mind me asking? They look expensh.

Cheers,

Hey Fruity,

Now these are a good looking set of cans!

And price, if you don't mind me asking? They look expensh.

Cheers,

Hey Jager,

I paid R5500 for both, R700 for the external sound card and like R300 for a decent set of cables..

Totally worth it in my books.. I spend most of my days in front of the PC, and its so much better when I have the best quality music going all day..

I do produce and edit music every now and then too, which is amazing on these.

Let me know if you want a pair and I'll direct you to the right guys. KRK is among the best.

I bought a pair of AKG K242HD Headphones about a year ago, man these are excellent.

Good value for money as well. AKG is a division of Harman Kardon.

Not a brand you see very often - I was looking at buying some Sennheiser HD500 Series, Dr. Dre Beats Pro and Bose Headphones.

The AKG's cost about a third of the others, and I'm really happy with them.

Actually listening to them right now, while surfing.

Cheers, LibrariesPicturesAKG%20Headphones.png

Ah thanks for the offer, but a bit rich for me.

I agree it's worth the money though.

I have an Onkyo surround sound receiver coupled to my KEF's and I love them, get such enjoyment from the system.

I have small kids now, so that's why I opted for the headphones...does not disturb them!

When in the office I use the headphones too, same reason.

Nice!

And those speakers are pretty!

when i was studying the only issue with KRK's for producing/mixing/mastering is that they were always bass heavy ended up always stuffing the ports with whatever i could find (That was long ago im sure they have fixed that) BUT brilliant sounding though especially for the price of the rokit 6's (another mate just bought a set on special somewhere, cant remember where)

The best monitors i have ever used and are still used in my mates studio are the Yamaha NS10's, best ever.

Not pretty, but amazing.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5GDIfmEJXds/TkXKXI3O41I/AAAAAAAABBs/xEsLYVzXQeE/s640/yamaha-ns-10m.jpg

when i was studying the only issue with KRK's for producing/mixing/mastering is that they were always bass heavy ended up always stuffing the ports with whatever i could find (That was long ago im sure they have fixed that) BUT brilliant sounding though especially for the price of the rokit 6's (another mate just bought a set on special somewhere, cant remember where)

The best monitors i have ever used and are still used in my mates studio are the Yamaha NS10's, best ever.

Not pretty, but amazing.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5GDIfmEJXds/TkXKXI3O41I/AAAAAAAABBs/xEsLYVzXQeE/s640/yamaha-ns-10m.jpg

You can adjust the low end to suit your style or need.. So that has been solved..

Those look awesome! Can just imagine the old school craft that went into them, they must sound so sweet!!

My dad has a home automation and audio business so our home theatre system changes quite often. The best so far had to be these MartinLogan electrostatic speakers, the quality was unbelievable and wish they never went!

http://www.martinlogan.com/images/montis/montis-large.jpg

current system: Bose Panarray 502

My dad has a home automation and audio business so our home theatre system changes quite often. The best so far had to be these MartinLogan electrostatic speakers, the quality was unbelievable and wish they never went!

http://www.martinlogan.com/images/montis/montis-large.jpg

current system: Bose Panarray 502

I am using the Vantage speakers.

I am so deeply in love with them.

As far as computer speakers go, I've got a set of these Bose AM5's which are just awesome. Unfortunately they are being powered by an Olivia AMP-100 at the moment as my Rotel amp is in for repairs.

http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/56/62/44/70972-260x260-0-0_Bose+Acoustimass+5+Series+III.jpg

I play that when Schalk comes to visit, play it on vinyl through the Avid Volvere Sequel with SME V arm and ZYX 4D. cartridge.

I will not lie when I tell you it gives goose flesh and brings a tear.

Might need to meet "Oom Schalk" one day!!!

As far as computer speakers go, I've got a set of these Bose AM5's which are just awesome. Unfortunately they are being powered by an Olivia AMP-100 at the moment as my Rotel amp is in for repairs.

http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/56/62/44/70972-260x260-0-0_Bose+Acoustimass+5+Series+III.jpg

Had the companion 5's and I was not impressed. For their price bose has got to be the most overrated audio company imo.

Also had the harman/kardon soundsticks, wow what a lovely set of speakers and they look excellent!

Remember pro studio monitors need to be 'flat field' so the waveform can be truly represented and therefore don't necessary sound that appealing, compared to consumer / bookshelf speakers which tend to have more low-end / bass giving a "Phatter" sound.

Wow I have a Marantz PM 5003 with a set of B&W 686's connected to the PC and even on this it is awesome.. need to get a copy...

Man this was also simply awesome once I got a decent copy. The 604's had lots of fun....