The Audiophile/reference music thread.

Wyatt Earp

I know Joel really well from the car audio side and from the AV Forums. He judged my car more times than I care to remember :D

I also met Joel through car sound comps.He has so much knowledge about sound for car or home.

I had my system built by Basswaves in PE.JL Audio system with KENWOOD CD PLAYER.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are way too many people with B&W speakers on this thread... I wish I could justify spending on a set, but first I have to spend R40k odd on double-glazing a window and french doors to prevent harassment to my neighbours (they're really close, one of the perks of living in a semi-urban setting).

I also met Joel through car sound comps.He has so much knowledge about sound for car or home.

I had my system built by Basswaves in PE.JL Audio system with KENWOOD CD PLAYER.

Basswaves really know their stuff. Good friends with Sean and Alicia.

Dangle, from the VA kit I take it you have had the pleasure of spending some quality time with Schalk? What a gentleman! His workmanship is incredible...had two Exclames before giving if up for Primare kit. You really do have some beautiful pieces there...those MLs must sing! How do you find the SFs on the VA amplification? They can be tricky to get right.

I'm at the point where I'm contemplating selling my various sets of loudspeakers for one do-most-of-it set...just can't see myself getting rid of the panels or Spendors.

RE Joel, I will never forget the first time I saw his USD waveguides...

Basswaves really know their stuff. Good friends with Sean and Alicia.

Aubrey did most of the work for me.

The GTI of Sean sounded awesome.

Do you know Kevin Paynter?He has done a few amazing DLS cars.

One of my closest friends. I competed as part of Payntwagon Audio for years. Also helped with a few of those installs.

I think this counts for this thread. So my brother and I have a guitar amp and speaker cab build project on the go. We will be building an Ax84 tube amp. Aesthetically at first I think the amp will be quite rough. But the idea is to build a classy looking amp with exposed tubes. Sound wise there are many options that we can play with but it will probably be in the region of 5watts with the option of going bigger and adding more pre-amp stages for gain.

The speaker cab will be made out of maple using a celestion speaker. It will have a closed back and a port which will be tuned to the lowest string of the guitar.

All in all it should come out pretty epic. The sound through a tube amp is quite awesome. Also the smaller build will allow us to really crank the amp and get the tubes hot. When the power tubes in a guitar amp run hot you get some amazing tones out.

So here's hoping it works and we don't blow something up. Added some picks to give you an idea of the direction we are heading.

post-9185-0-20311500-1348039351_thumb.jpg

post-9185-0-46041100-1348039375_thumb.jpg

post-9185-0-72672200-1348039402_thumb.jpg

I think this counts for this thread. So my brother and I have a guitar amp and speaker cab build project on the go. We will be building an Ax84 tube amp. Aesthetically at first I think the amp will be quite rough. But the idea is to build a classy looking amp with exposed tubes. Sound wise there are many options that we can play with but it will probably be in the region of 5watts with the option of going bigger and adding more pre-amp stages for gain.

The speaker cab will be made out of maple using a celestion speaker. It will have a closed back and a port which will be tuned to the lowest string of the guitar.

All in all it should come out pretty epic. The sound through a tube amp is quite awesome. Also the smaller build will allow us to really crank the amp and get the tubes hot. When the power tubes in a guitar amp run hot you get some amazing tones out.

So here's hoping it works and we don't blow something up. Added some picks to give you an idea of the direction we are heading.

Keep in mind that maple will make the sound harsher and more agressive, but not bad. Something like mahogany will sound a lot warmer. I would play around with different woods on the back panel. Even ash, spruce or pine (no jokes, the first fenders were made out of pine and sounded great).

Remember that you are needing to look at proper tone woods for sound, similar to the way I pick woods when I build basses.

BTW.....love the Alessandro.

Edited by DaLoCo

Keep in mind that maple will make the sound harsher and more agressive, but not bad. Something like mahogany will sound a lot warmer. I would play around with different woods on the back panel. Even ash, spruce or pine (no jokes, the first fenders were made out of pine and sounded great).

Remember that you are needing to look at proper tone woods for sound, similar to the way I pick woods when I build basses.

BTW.....love the Alessandro.

Yeah it looks awesome. Hopefully we can get the packaging of the amp looking good like that.

As far as the speaker goes I have been reading quite a bit and most people have recommended the maple as it will give the highs and lows and a nice mid punch. The maple will also match my Gibson Les Paul. But I haven't made the final decision yet. I have Maple, Mahogany, Rosewood and Cherry on the list at the moment. As I learn more I will make my decision. I could always build more than one as well. The wood will have to be a good looking hardwood, but I don't want to compromise on tone either.

Dangle, from the VA kit I take it you have had the pleasure of spending some quality time with Schalk? What a gentleman! His workmanship is incredible...had two Exclames before giving if up for Primare kit. You really do have some beautiful pieces there...those MLs must sing! How do you find the SFs on the VA amplification? They can be tricky to get right.

I'm at the point where I'm contemplating selling my various sets of loudspeakers for one do-most-of-it set...just can't see myself getting rid of the panels or Spendors.

We have become good friends Schalk and myself.

Enough for me to convince him to build me custom rosewood face-plates and the Trinity, only one in the country.

He is an awesome guy, whilst he was building for A.J. VD. Hul, A.J. sent Schalk a Colibri cartridge, that is a R 95 k gift :eek:

But being who they both are, one can understand how these things happen.

The ML's sing incredibly well, ear melting stuff.

Saying this the Fabers I have could easily become my final destination, the only issue I have is that I need a slightly bigger room for them, as crazy as it may sound, the Logans work best in my sound room.

Those Cremona's need at least another half a meter behind them to make my jaw hit the floor for it never to return

Sadly I can't move them more forward, my room is narrow and long.

They have a very tight controlled bass, with a heart shattering midrange and very controlled top-ends.

Quite easy to drive, contrary to popular belief.

Joel is a real cool character, we went to the Radium for his 40th. and he actually cracked a joke :D

Real gentleman as well.

Damn, I wish I had the money for those Fabers, even the small Auditor will do nicely, or even an old Electa if they can still be found.

My listening room is only 4 by 5 meters, and has to share the space with an upright piano (Fritz Kuhla from the 50s).

Anybody have a pair of these??

post-4111-0-96930300-1348047207_thumb.jpg

The original Nautilius, only around three pairs in S.A. from what I recall, they need around a millions rands worth of mono blocks.

I have their baby versions the mini pods at home on the HT. system and at work for music.

Current Stereo Equipment

NAD 1000-2100 Pre -Power Amp Combo

Marantz CD6000 KI Signature CD Player

NAD 5120 Belt Drive Table

B&W 604 Series 1 Speakers

and one day when I am big would love to own a pair of these

http://www.bowers-wi...00-Diamond.html

With a couple of Mark Levinson, Nakamichi or Aragon Mono Blocks

Saw these on Gumtree.... Have the babies 683's