Maximum HR decrease?

Handlebar

I've been training with a HR monitor for about a year now. When I started I could, with effort, get my HR up to around 192bpm and actually measured 195bpm once or twice.

Now days I have to almost pass out to get to 187bpm.

I was under impression that maximum HR only decreases by a couple of bpm per year.

So do I need to get my HRM checked or is it something to do with getting fitter.

You are just not working hard enough - get a team to support you during a max effort test.

Karvonen is at best an approximation - don't use it - use test results only.

Max HR does not necessarily decrease as much per year in fit people who train consistently.

As to why yours decreased, perhaps the latest test you did was done differently to the first one you are referencing to?

Max HR test results can easily produce different results (by a few bpm), it’s a damn hard thing to test and depending on how you “feel” at the time you might just reach the point of “slowing down” sooner or later than the last test you did.

If you insist on doing max hr tests I would suggest that you follow the same protocol every time, i.e. don’t use a hill climb test one time and then next time flat route test. Chances are you will reach your true max HR easier on a hill test than a flat test.

Don’t stress about your max HR, imo its value is overrated and not required to be checked continually.

Edited by SwissVan

Max HR does not necessarily decrease as much per year in fit people who train consistently.

As to why yours decreased, perhaps the latest test you did was done differently to the first one you are referencing to?

Max HR test results can easily produce different results (by a few bpm), it’s a damn hard thing to test and depending on how you “feel” at the time you might just reach the point of “slowing down” sooner or later than the last test you did.

If you insist on doing max hr tests I would suggest that you follow the same protocol every time, i.e. don’t use a hill climb test one time and then next time flat route test. Chances are you will reach your true max HR easier on a hill test than a flat test.

Don’t stress about your max HR, imo its value is overrated and not required to be checked continually.

Wait, I'm getting my glasses. Who on ZUG can type so small, must be out of their minds.....

Edited by Schwynn

Wait, I'm getting my glasses. Who on ZUG can type so small, must be out of their minds.....

LoL sorri fixed it

I blame admin and last nights update

I've been training with a HR monitor for about a year now. When I started I could, with effort, get my HR up to around 192bpm and actually measured 195bpm once or twice.

Now days I have to almost pass out to get to 187bpm.

I was under impression that maximum HR only decreases by a couple of bpm per year.

So do I need to get my HRM checked or is it something to do with getting fitter.

When you get fitter it becomes more difficult to get your HR close to your max. I noticed this trend in myself way back when I was racing lots. I also noticed that if I lost aerobic fitness but kept the legs quite strong - gym for example - that I could get the HR up to max quite easily. Likewise if the aerobic system becomes stronger and the legs battle to match it, they (the legs) cannot drive the aerobic system hard enough to get to the heart close to max.

At Epic this year I noticed a large slide in max HR.

Day 1 - 190

Day 2 - 187

Day 3 - 175

Day 8 - 163

Your body adapts...

Hijack on with apologies

Heuna BradW! Were you racing epic?

Day 1 - 190

Day 2 - 187

Day 3 - 175

Day 8 - 163

Your body adapts...

One of the signs that you have not fully recovered from a very hard and long ride (Epic per definition) is that your maximum heart rate will be lower. It is simply your body preventing damage by making you a bit slower the next day. Once you've recovered completely your maximum heart rate will go back to normal.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I need to concentrate a bit a strength training - which I do very little of and don't need to lower my HR zones.

Day 1 - 190

Day 2 - 187

Day 3 - 175

Day 8 - 163

Your body fatigues...

I feexed it for you.

Been training/racing with HRM since '95. Read Swiss' mail. You need to be consisted with you protocol to test Max HR.

BTW I cannot get to my max during training - too lazy I would guess.

My Max HR reduces by about 1 bpm per year.