How do I keep it down? - MTB front wheel

The Ghost

Yesterday I was riding out at Thaba trails, and coming up from the Fire Station section there are a few short (up to about 10m) sharp inclines.

I had to dismount to get up these, mostly because I just could not keep the front wheel down. I tried hard to get my weight forward and bent well forward, but still couldnt do it. I also tried not to pull on the bars at all. :blush:

Any advice?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be the gear choice. If you're in granny and you're putting a lot of power in to the cranks the front has a tendency to pop up.

A longer stem might help, but that will influence your whole setup and handling as well. Maybe try cranking it in a more difficult gear?

I find that using an easier gear means I spin more and because I don't have to pedal so hard, the front doesn't lift so easily. Of course, it doesn't help if you are in your easiest gear already. Also, wrt bike set up, that should be right. Some all mountain and trailbikes are quite upright and can sometimes do with a longer stem on the steepies.

Edited by DJR

As a newbie to the mtb thing, I find that on these steep climbs I keep my front shock locked and it enables me to handle the bike better over the rugged terrain.

Not sure about the section but try to always carry as much momentum into the climb as possible.

Try to stay in the saddle and move forward as far as your saddle will allow. Keep the spin as smooth as possible with as little mashing of the pedals as you can. The more you mash, the more torque you put down hence the popping up of the front wheel.

Should help you get up those little buggers.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

Got to Thaba after three yesterday. Saw your name on entry list just ahead of me .My 4th time on a MTB. Same problem same place.

I tried to lean forward on the front wheel and the back spun out from under me .Steep learning curve but I'm keen.

Not sure about the section but try to always carry as much momentum into the climb as possible.

Try to stay in the saddle and move forward as far as your saddle will allow. Keep the spin as smooth as possible with as little mashing of the pedals as you can.

Should help you get it up.

Pretty good advice!

The biggest problem with new riders and climbs is that you think you need to select the lightest gear on the bike and then power up the climb.

There is a lot more to it than this. You need to know how your balance, center of gravity and position on the bike will affect the actual handling and performance of the bike.

Blokman, you mentioned this was your fourth time on the bike. You are welcome to join one of the skills training rides.

Try to stay in the saddle and move forward as far as your saddle will allow. Keep the spin as smooth as possible with as little mashing of the pedals as you can. The more you mash, the more torque you put down hence the popping up of the front wheel.

Should help you get up those little buggers.

Yebo yes to the info above.

You might well end up on the tip of your saddle with it precariously placed, but stick it out, get your upper body down and low over the bars (You will feel when more is required) and as noted before .... keep it smooth.

If the front lifts or you stray off line, remain calm and gently coax the bike back on line.

Silly as it sounds, practice riding as slow as you possibly can and this will teach you how to "feel" your bike better and how to shift your body language in order to keep your weight well distributed.

If the above fails then get a 10kg weight and strap it to your handle bars :whistling:

Hairy, you should know better, how does locking out the rear shock help with this? I don't have lockout on my current frame but I would imagine it would prevent shifting of the weight to the back due to rear shock compression.

That would be the theory anyways.

Thanks all.

The only thing I dont recall is how far forward on the saddle I was, but I will take note next time.

My bike is what Ghost refer to as their AM bike, and I have shortened the stem because with the longer one the "cockpit" was just too long for me; so a longer one would make the hills easier, but everything else not so lekka.

Try moving your saddles forward but only small steps at a time. This will move the centre of gravity forward and should help with climbing. Or just get a 29er.