Training Wheelset Choice from a select short list?

ZippWheelsForSale

where can one buy these online in SA?

Try Queens Cycles (Pretoria), maybe they will post to you. I paid about R2k a year or so ago. Great wheelset - nice and heavy for training. Bullet proof.

Hi,

Ignoring purchase price, which of these wheelsets will cost least in terms of maintenance and service (both number of 'services' and cost of bike shop 'attention')?

Or put differently, on which set will I get the most training miles over the next couple of years?

• Mavic Aksium, 2013
  • DT Swiss R1900, 2012
  • DT Swiss R1800, 2012
  • American Classic Sprint 350, not sure about year
  • Alex R380 (Rims build onto American Classic Hubs, not sure about spoke choice or year of manufacture)

Thanks

I got a set of Mavic Open pros built up on Hope Pro3 hubs - and boy does that rear hub sound wonderful humming down the passes. Not the lightest option of course, but for training I like a bit more weight - feels like I've got new legs when the event wheels go on. I also value toughness and long-life in training wheels - given the hammering they get, and how often you are a long way from home, I shy away from going cheap on the build.

and how often you are a long way from home

This is another reason I'm a big fan of training wheels with high spoke counts. I you lose a spoke on a 20 spoke wheel, it may well be an end-of-ride event. I managed to lose a spoke on my 32 spoke Open Pro and, after a little bit of truing, I was still able to ride the 50km home. I even did it at close to full training pace.

This is another reason I'm a big fan of training wheels with high spoke counts. I you lose a spoke on a 20 spoke wheel, it may well be an end-of-ride event. I managed to lose a spoke on my 32 spoke Open Pro and, after a little bit of truing, I was still able to ride the 50km home. I even did it at close to full training pace.

100% agree - the above are 36 spoke rear and 32 spoke front. Being tough they'll also double as my Audax wheels next year on LEL

where can one buy these online in SA?

I bought mine from CWC a few years ago, but I don't see them there at the moment..

I got a set of Mavic Open pros built up on Hope Pro3 hubs - and boy does that rear hub sound wonderful humming down the passes. Not the lightest option of course, but for training I like a bit more weight - feels like I've got new legs when the event wheels go on. I also value toughness and long-life in training wheels - given the hammering they get, and how often you are a long way from home, I shy away from going cheap on the build.

Mine are Open Pro's with Record hubs. Radial front and radial/3 cross on the rear. 32 hole rims. They are absolutely bullet proof.

Custom built is generally pretty pricey, so for off the shelf products:

Easton EA50

PlanetX Model B

Shimano RS30

Fulcrum Racing 7

Custom built is generally pretty pricey, so for off the shelf products:

Easton EA50

PlanetX Model B

Shimano RS30

Fulcrum Racing 7

No one ever mentions them, but the Khamsins deserve a spot on that list too...

Re Aksiums:

I dont like training wheels with streight-pull bladed spokes. Round butted spokes are best, and j-bends are easier to replace. Also, despite the bladed spokes, the air through the wheels are too noisy if there is the slightest cross-wind. I have done no measurements, but more wind noise could mean more drag.

The wheels are also too heavy imo. Sure, training wheels does not need to be weight weenies, but these weigh more than my mtb wheels. I dont belive heavy wheels make you stronger, Imo you just train a bit slower.

Thirdly, a lot of Mavics Ive ridden develop a squealing free-body. My Aksiums are starting to show early signs. Easy to fix, but I put more than 20000km on a set of Campy wheels without needing free-body or bearing maintenance.

Training wheels? Buy the cheapest set of 2nd hand wheels you can find? Simple.

It's cool to have reliability though, Azonic,

That's what the OP is asking advice for...

Re Aksiums:

I dont like training wheels with streight-pull bladed spokes. Round butted spokes are best, and j-bends are easier to replace. Also, despite the bladed spokes, the air through the wheels are too noisy if there is the slightest cross-wind. I have done no measurements, but more wind noise could mean more drag.

The wheels are also too heavy imo. Sure, training wheels does not need to be weight weenies, but these weigh more than my mtb wheels. I dont belive heavy wheels make you stronger, Imo you just train a bit slower.

Thirdly, a lot of Mavics Ive ridden develop a squealing free-body. My Aksiums are starting to show early signs. Easy to fix, but I put more than 20000km on a set of Campy wheels without needing free-body or bearing maintenance.

I have to agree about the noise in the wind but i ride with music most of the time.

I haven’t needed to replace any spokes in the time that i had them but they are pretty expensive if you do.