Riding on empty

I should perhaps add that I am never in the front of my group, especially at the start. As my body warms up and starts burning fat I gain some speed and pace. Helps to finish strong I guess.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will do anything up to a 50km mtb ride on an empty tank. It is actually not a clever idea. I have felt a bonk before. I mean a real bonk, not just low on energy. A real deal bad ass bonk. That was from riding a 80km ride on an empty tank. Not very clever. Thought I would die that day. Was horrible

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

I should perhaps add that I am never in the front of my group, especially at the start. As my body warms up and starts burning fat I gain some speed and pace. Helps to finish strong I guess.

Dude you don`t have fat on you, so I suggest try eat something before you start. Food is after all your fuel. Can`t be good for your health riding on empty your blood sugar levels will be too low. I eat a lot before the ride and then I eat something during and I always feel like braaiing a large sheep at the end.

Edited by Berg Bok

for the last 3 years I am starting on empty and have not bonked since then. We normaly cycle @ 5h00 in the mornings, so I cannot remember why I changed, perhaps it is becase I wanted to sleep a bid more.

You won't find a formula 1 driver practicing without petrol in the tank. Riding without nutrition is the same. You are training yourself to be hungry. Well done. You could do that in bed.

Can't leave home on empty, you never know how far you will end up going! But I do feel there is a big difference between going out early in the morning straight after waking up and later in the afternoon after work etc. Weekends I never leave home without something to eat, even if I just think i am going for an hour or so.

Early morning rides after coffee and packet of oats and Im good. Its not how much you eat its what you eat. I usually take a Woolies low gi bar with but rarely eat it on 2hr rides. Train on water only.

You won't find a formula 1 driver practicing without petrol in the tank. Riding without nutrition is the same. You are training yourself to be hungry. Well done. You could do that in bed.

Yeah, but they do practise with an exact amount in there. Even more so when doing quali and stuff. I mean they measure that **** to the last drop that will get them back to the box.

Sure but they have fuel. Just the right amount and the right fuel. It's not a fuel economy run. You can't hammer muscles that have run out of fuel.

Early morning rides after coffee and packet of oats and Im good. Its not how much you eat its what you eat. I usually take a Woolies low gi bar with but rarely eat it on 2hr rides. Train on water only.

Ag nee man! Nie al weer nie.

Why ride on empty? You compromise the quality of your training session by doing that and besides, if you eat something before hand even if it is small like an apple not only does it fuel your ride but also kick-starts you metabolism which allows you to burn more fat in comparison. So unless it's an occasional ride where you train to ride on your reserves, you're not doing yourself any favours.

Sure but the study is focussing on people using exercise to control weight and things like insulin resistance. What about those of us who are at our target weight, are not diabetic and are using exercise to get so fit that we can humiliate our friends in the next race which may or may not be an official event?

I meant as a finishing time :D

Rides start (or should) at 5.30.

Rides should start at 04:30 - after a double espresso...casual training ride under 2 hours - water only - intervals or hills or longer, then some magic miracle mooti - followed by more espresso and breakfast.

Racing - proper pre-race breakfast - juices and supplements and solid food depending on what it is.

• 1 month later...

Can some one tell me if I had a food bonk on a over training bonk or both.

I had some berries,granola and pronutro with honey and skim milk.- my usual. Never had any issues on this

Went for a fairly hard MTB ride at 30 km commented to my bike partner how easy the hills that used to kill us seemed to disappear. My hear rate was low and on some inclines went up a bit. Nothing wrong

After doing a steep incline for about 7 km , my hear rate peeked at 105% for some time we then had a long ride back in the middy heat about 31'c

We ran out of water and found a tap to rehydrate.it was hot

After 39 km my hear rate was low, it would not move up much and when it did it was with great exertion. BUT I felt like death , proper drop tired.

My legs were like jelly and I felt like I was going to drop. I managed to get back to the restaurant 50km and had to lie down and have a coke.

Symptoms

Weak, real weak !!

Pale

Sweaty ,clammy skin

Migraine

Sore back of neck- was hard tech ride.

Took us about five hours in sadel so pace was slow

Only had a gel

Had one bottle of energy powder with cretin.

Drank about 1,8 liters water.

age 48

My hear is good

My Polar which I don't trust to much, notes me as elite fit!!! Lol .

Had a coke and a few sips of recovery drink , one hour later was fine but very tired. A bit stiff.

What went wrong , I never felt like this and have done much harder rides and races !!

Actually it has put me of riding for a while and I got my fist 94.7 next week- Eeek!

I done some mtb 40 and mtb 50 km races and night races and had good times. Most I ever ridden is 73 km MTB at Northans, it was a easy.

I have been training very hard , with gym, swimming and spinning and rode last weekend about 58 km -Mtb . Only had rest day Friday.

My polar notes a five to six day rest period now.

Edited by Forthefun