Do jump or to resign myself to a life in tights

SomeBloke

Hey guys, I've been thinking of trying out MB but I'm not really sure I'm going to enjoy just riding around offroad.

To make a short story long, I used to ride BMX about eight or ten years ago (I wasn't great but I really loved it, used to ride at Swells in PMB and then Cascades a lot before I moved to Jozi) so I was thinking of trying out a dirt jumper like a Chucker or Fireball. The only thing is that I'm 32 now (maybe this is an early midlife crisis or something) so I'm wary of going and throwing R5k at a bike only to realise I'm more of a pussy than I ever was.

I guess what I'm asking is, are there any guys around Jozi with spare bikes who I could join for an easy ride somewhere to see whether I enjoy it and whether or not I can still jump (or at least survive the crashes) like I used to.

I live in Linden

Yebo. we can make a plan. How tall are you?

I am just down the road from you in Blairgowrie.

Edit: sorry I reread your post and see that you specifically want to try out a jump bike. Haven't got one of those here at he moment...

I blame it on my meds. :eek:

Edited by slick

Hey guys, I've been thinking of trying out MB but I'm not really sure I'm going to enjoy just riding around offroad.

To make a short story long, I used to ride BMX about eight or ten years ago (I wasn't great but I really loved it, used to ride at Swells in PMB and then Cascades a lot before I moved to Jozi) so I was thinking of trying out a dirt jumper like a Chucker or Fireball. The only thing is that I'm 32 now (maybe this is an early midlife crisis or something) so I'm wary of going and throwing R5k at a bike only to realise I'm more of a pussy than I ever was.

I guess what I'm asking is, are there any guys around Jozi with spare bikes who I could join for an easy ride somewhere to see whether I enjoy it and whether or not I can still jump (or at least survive the crashes) like I used to.

I live in Linden

i used to ride street and dirt bmx about the same time ago.

now riding am/dh not at all serious or fast or fancy tho.

falls hurt a lot more than they used to, be warned. but its super fun you will enjoy it.

I live in Linden

don't do it - it's an (expensive) addiction. :whistling:

Hi my name is MTBorDIE and I'm an addict......

hey dude! why dont you join us at the mtn bikepark for some jumping? I have one slightly stuffed mongoose fireball (bent crank arm) but it still jumps fine. was planning on going with a buddy on thursday afternoon or the weekend as he also wants to give this thing a bash.

let me know.

hey dude! why dont you join us at the mtn bikepark for some jumping? I have one slightly stuffed mongoose fireball (bent crank arm) but it still jumps fine. was planning on going with a buddy on thursday afternoon or the weekend as he also wants to give this thing a bash.

let me know.

That would be awesome, man. Are there some tabletops there to ease back into or is it just doubles?

don't do it - it's an (expensive) addiction. :whistling:

Hi my name is MTBorDIE and I'm an addict......

Can't be as expensive as the trail riding, though? Guys seem to be spending as much on those bikes as they do on cars.

A good investment of R10000 will buy you a very capable 2nd hadn do-it-all bike like the Mongoose Teocali.

the left hand line is all tabletops except for the last which is a rollable double.

I will let you know by wednesday which day we are heading through.

cheers dude!

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the same situation. Bought a jump bike, but enjoy the AM and DH much more with the full sus.

BTW I ride in shorts or jeans. No way ill don those tights

Edited by braailegend

I was in the same situation. Bought a jump bike, but enjoy the AM and DH much more with the full sus.

BTW I ride in shorts or jeans. No way ill don those tights

Follow up to this… bought a Mongoose Fireball, 8spd. I love the thing, it's fun to just mess around like a kid again trying to manual, bunny hop random stuff and hit the odd jump plus it's pretty easy to ride along the Spruit as well. Definitely a good buy.

I say spend the £, once a dirt jumper always a dirt jumper, it just takes one successful jump & you are back in business. I also did bmx dirt jumping more than 12 years ago, then stopped & focused on bmx racing only which involved jumping doubles as you all know, then stopped bmx & dirt jumping all & all for the Lycra & thin wheels. After about 8 years I could pick the bmx up again & still be able to jump, but as mentioned before the crashes hurt so much more.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, i know this thread is a year old now but thought i would try my luck here. Same as SomeBloke, I'm keen to start dirt jumping. Ive tried the normal mountain biking thing but found it boring just riding along, much more interested in doing fun trails, and jumps. I use to skate and snowboard a lot, so I really do enjoy the trick side to any sport.

Where are the best spots in joburg, and what are the best shops to start looking. I noticed a cycle park close to me in Bryanston, although i have only seen kids on the dirt jumps ? Im also very interested in the Mongoose Fireball 26 as a starter DJ bike, and not looking to spend anything more than R5000

Hey guys, i know this thread is a year old now but thought i would try my luck here. Same as SomeBloke, I'm keen to start dirt jumping. Ive tried the normal mountain biking thing but found it boring just riding along, much more interested in doing fun trails, and jumps. I use to skate and snowboard a lot, so I really do enjoy the trick side to any sport.

Where are the best spots in joburg, and what are the best shops to start looking. I noticed a cycle park close to me in Bryanston, although i have only seen kids on the dirt jumps ? Im also very interested in the Mongoose Fireball 26 as a starter DJ bike, and not looking to spend anything more than R5000

Hey Waldo, a bunch of us regularly meet up on a Friday afternoon after work to hit the Scout Hall line. The invite goes out fairly regularly here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/122950-scout-hall-dj-session-friday-16h00/

WRT a bike, keep an eye on the classifieds here as every now and then a DJ bike comes up at a decent price.

Here are a couple to look at:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/66828-specialized-p2-dirt-jump-bike/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/65061-dirt-jump-bike-dmr-reptoid/

Also check out Dial'd bikes online and I think Mikes Bikes in Greenside sells DJ bikes new.

Hey Waldo, if you want you're welcome to give my fireball a spin on Friday at the jumps. I'll take an extra bike. You can generally pick up a DJ like a Fireball or Chucker for well less than R5k. I'd refrain from buying new since you're going to trash it a few times. Just upgrade as you break or bend things and you'll have a great rig eventually.

Ah great thanks guys! Would really be keen to join you guys next friday, can't make it this week. SomeBloke, would be great if I can try out your ride, will try not to wreck it ;) promise ill go easy. What time do you guys meet up on a friday?