Advice on what MTB shoes to buy

Nofearnofun

Hi All,

Please help out, I need to buy new MTB shoes as the ones I have were cheapies and only lasted 6months...

I am on a budget so I am looking to spend between R500,00 and R1000,00.

Please could you help out with shoes within that price range as well as shops I should try calling.

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Please help out, I need to buy new MTB shoes as the ones I have were cheapies and only lasted 6months...

I am on a budget so I am looking to spend between R500,00 and R1000,00.

Please could you help out with shoes within that price range as well as shops I should try calling.

Thanks

Cajees, Princess Crossing, had quite a selection when I bought some last year. Are you lucky enough to never have to get off the bike and push or do you do some 'foot' work as well?

Shimano M087.

2 years and 6,000kms on and they are as good as new.

Stiff and comfortable.

You must try on a few brands and see what fits you well before you buy.

http://www.cyclemadn...products_id=319

The ones I have are MrPrice shoes as I wasnt sure if I was going to get back into riding or fade out again so I didnt want to spend more than the R399 then haha... but 6months (just over 1000km) later the metal loop for the top strap has pulled through the "leather" so it is time to buy some decent entry level shoes if those two words dont clash..

Thanks for the link.

Cajees, Princess Crossing, had quite a selection when I bought some last year. Are you lucky enough to never have to get off the bike and push or do you do some 'foot' work as well?

The occasional dabbing, not much walking...

I am not familiar with this fastening system. any good? looks cool.

Upper: Full grain leather and mesh with a molded, vented heel counter. Outsole: Lake Race 100% Carbon Fiber Sole with Mountain Race X real rubber sole with Mudstuds. Closure: Heel Mounted Push/Pull BOA lacing system with powerzone in the forefoot.

post-31228-0-25669900-1349959373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nofearnofun

You must try on a few brands and see what fits you well before you buy.

http://www.cyclemadn...products_id=319

Can't agree more. European brands tend to be narrower than the equivalent size US offering...somthing about the "last" they use.

Just know that my frogfeet don't go into a Sidi...comfy in a Spez. Both being great shoes of course....

post-11519-0-63767300-1349958745_thumb.jpg

What about SIDI Sierra @ R899.00?

post-11519-0-54738100-1349958956_thumb.jpg

What about SIDI Dominator @ R1599.00?

Sierra looks awesome. Im guessing the reason for my current shoes breaking (besides for being from MrPrice) might have something to do with the amount of water they have been used in... Im thinking staying away from the velcro strap shoes might be a good idea?

my olympics lasted me for years and years.plenty good for walking uphills as well.bought pair of Pro Bike's last month.no complaints as yet.the overriding factor should be fit though.

....have something to do with the amount of water they have been used in... Im thinking staying away from the velcro strap shoes might be a good idea?

Treat your shoes with Nikwax (available from Cape Union Mart/sport stores) to protect them against water damage.

Can't agree more. European brands tend to be narrower than the equivalent size US offering...somthing about the "last" they use.

Just know that my frogfeet don't go into a Sidi...comfy in a Spez. Both being great shoes of course....

I have a bit of a wide foot as well, was keen on SIDI. will try some but wont get my hopes up for a comfy fit.. :mellow:

SIDI do manufacture a 3mm wider shoe on certain ranges however, the most important aspect of a shoe should always be comfort.

Edited by Malachi