Bestmed Jacaranda Satellite Classic 2012: 20.10.2012

Warrior Princess

I saw one ambulance coming racing up the road just before the Hekpoort hill and then turning right. Not sure if that was where the 116km riders were coming from.

I did see another group of parameds putting a drip in a cyclist after Hekpoort. Hoping he is okay.

Riding in EM, when I came in there was no option of being in a group and you had to check for cars coming past before you could overtake a cyclist.

But all in all, was my first Jacaranda and I believe I will add this one to my list.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Times weren't adjusted. Bleak!

Got this from Asg events

"Good day we announced yesterday that your times would be adjusted accordingly the same people that do the timing for argus and 94 were the people there yesterday and will adjust all persons affected accordingly"

I had a very late start so I was also held up by the accident. Traffic was hectic the last 5km'. I had to completely slow down and was stuck between all the cars.

I did the Satellite last year and hated the traffic and danger on the roads. I saw more than one close call. Precisely the reason I elected not to do it this year, and don't think I will again unless something drastically changes.

My thoughts go out to the crashed rider, his family and friends. If someone could please keep us updated on his status...

Looking at the timed results for the 94km race, are those times legit for the top 6 riders?

All coming from EM and FM group and being 40 minutes to half an hour faster than the A group winner.

51km an hour average, what are the odds? If so, respect.

http://results.racetec.co.za/results_by_event.aspx?RID=4020&EN=Sat%2020%2F10%2F2012%20Bestmed%20Jacaranda%20Satellite%20Classic%202012%20%2894km%29

Faster than Tony Martins winning average speed for half the distance to take the Worlds TT title. Sound a little like something might have gone wrong

Faster than Tony Martins winning average speed for half the distance to take the Worlds TT title. Sound a little like something might have gone wrong

All lower group starters. They most probably decided to cut the route short (beer stop at VG with MTB buddies and then the 40km route perhaps?) Went over the finish line to get their medal and glass of free blue fizz... I'd take the 2:38 as the fastest time for the 94 (91.5km) route

Edited by robox

I had a small altercation with a FJ cruiser going up Hekpoort. I could not get past so I tapped the car and waved to ask him to move slightly right so I could pass. Turned into a shouting match. He did move over eventually even though there was no cars coming from the front.

Traffic out of the parking area was craz. Took me 45min to get out.

All lower group starters. They most probably decided to cut the route short (beer stop at VG with MTB buddies and then the 40km route perhaps?) Went over the finish line to get their medal and glass of free blue fizz... I'd take the 2:38 as the fastest time for the 94 (91.5km) route

Most likely.... all of them (bar two who are new to the sport) have 16-22 averages for all their other races :P

Traffic out of the parking area was craz. Took me 45min to get out.

Yeah. I eventually phoned the cell number on my race number and asked the friendly guy to send a pointsman to that intersection so we could get moving.

It helped a lot and we got going. If only the twats in their cars would wait their turn to fall in the exit line in the parking area.

Good day out and we managed a 3h00 on the 94 (91km)

..Not to mention that there were no motorbike marshals ~ wtf was the story with that? I'm still trying to work out what my 200 bucks entry fee actually bought. I hope the airlifted cyclist is OK, but that brings me to another point ~ I didn't see a single ambulance or paramedic anywhere on the route.

At one stage we had two bike marshals. So they were there and doing a good job.

As for the ambulances, i think the start is a central point to work from. No point in roaming, and then having to race to an accident 70km from where they are at that moment?

Edited by Fester

We had excellent support from a bike marshal in VC until I got shelled. Can't expect a marshal to stick with every rider that gets dropped however

terrible race, standard of mtb races is through the roof while most jhb based road races seem like nothing more than a good way to fatten the wallets of the organisers. terrible start, boring straight roads and a mess of a finish with cars, cyclists, walkers. a disgrace that so little logistical planning and control went into the start/finish area. we pay good money to put ourselves in bigger danger than we would face training on our own.

My second Satellite Classic, and I enjoyed the race - the surges in the massive AL bunch was annoying up until Hekpoort but then again the headwind was killing us up in front and it was virtually impossible to set a steady and consistent pace. Bunch obviously sorted itself out after hekpoort and it was a pleasant time trial to the finish blink.png.

However, I just came to realise again that this is really not one of the safest races on the road calendar and I agree with others that the start / finish really needs sorting out. Navigating a bunch of 20+ riders through heavy traffic, parked cars and pedestrians on the last stretch did not only cost us A LOT of time but it's also dangerous.

I also think that this race specifically needs to be thoroughly advertised within the area beforehand, and on the day other road users MUST be made aware that a race is taking place on the busy roads.

Several cyclists did not receive medals. I was riding in the BL bunch and we had several incidents! The traffic was hectic!