GoPro Hero 3 Announced!

Action Cameras

Hi Action

sorry, but the line about limited stock all I'm seeing is, you not going to get it anywhere else, there are only so many, so we can charge full price, take it or someone else will.

Sadly thats the habit of 90% of retailers and dealers.

Had the same situation wrt to a newly launched handlebar, got it coming in now via another source, 2-3 weeks earlier than local importer and cheaper.

stating the local support situation, after many years of importing quality kit i'm yet to have a problem.

guys stating the 20-30% difference, those listed prices, go to the right shops in the USA or UK and you'll get it for even less.

Remember the online listed prices already include a cut for the dealer, so i'm not one that understand why we have to pay even more to the tune of 20-30%

will see what I end up doing.

simple question, why are we getting so little stock.

G

Hi Awesme,

Unfortunately with the limited amount of stock arriving in South Africa we can't offer any discount on the Hero 3's.

Here was an email that was sent out to our pre-order customers regarding the Hero 3 Black Edition:

Afternoon,

I trust this email finds you well,

Just some feedback with regards to the Hero 3 Black Edition pre-orders. It was first initially announced by GoPro South Africa that stock would be arriving in South Africa early December and pending ICASA approval they would be available for retail by the 10th of December. We've just heard news that stock will only be arriving late December due to production issues in the US.

We at Action Cameras SA sincerely apologize for this. We understand you highly anticipating the arrival of your new camera but please bear in mind the arrival of the South African stock is totally beyond our control. As soon as we have more news on the South African arrival date we'll send out a mail and keep you posted.

If you have any questions please send them my way.

Thank you

Kind Regards

If you would like to be a part of this list please email us at sales@actioncameras.co.za

Edited by awesme

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're paying the VAT on the import, then it is much closer to 10-20% premium. If you're not paying the VAT, well it's a bit unfair to criticise the distributor based on a price that you can only get through illegal means.

There is nothing illegal about buying something overseas and bringing it home, the duty free allowance in SA would cover it.

Additionally if you purchased it overseas, you could claim their vat back (up to 17%), making it roughly R500 cheaper. there are distributors overseas that make a profit as well as the retailer, so why 45% more here?

R4,999.00 From local retailer

R4,430.834 + VAT = R5050 from GoPro

R4,227.02 + VAT = R4818 from BH Photo Video

Well worth buying locally. Above also include shipping cost.

thumbup1.gif And hopefully if I need support it will be around the corner .

S.I.R.

Your starting numbers for B&H and GoPro, how did you get to them?

At those numbers I'm more than willing to support the local guys.

But

#1 get stock, plan better, here we are at xMas and telling me stock is a question is lousy.

#2, If we say, come you have a captive market on TheHub here, give us some specials, replying by saying stock is going to be a problem, as such you can't does not go over well, all I heard was, stock is a problem, we can ask what we want, if you don't buy someone else will.

G

Not sure where the maths come from, the Black edition is $399 from REI amongst others, that is R3600 at most?

Not sure where the maths come from, the Black edition is $399 from REI amongst others, that is R3600 at most?

Did you read the part about shipping being part of the price?

S.I.R.

But

#1 get stock, plan better, here we are at xMas and telling me stock is a question is lousy.

#2, If we say, come you have a captive market on TheHub here, give us some specials, replying by saying stock is going to be a problem, as such you can't does not go over well, all I heard was, stock is a problem, we can ask what we want, if you don't buy someone else will.

G

Calculated as

$399 + $100 +- shipping to SA. Used XE.com as the reference for R/$ exchange.

There is nothing illegal about buying something overseas and bringing it home, the duty free allowance in SA would cover it.

Duty free allowance only applies if you're bringing it back for your own personal use. It's OK if you're flying and bringing it in yourself. Not if your friend is importing it on your behalf.

It's still not really a fair comparison since you're not actually factoring in transport costs. The importer does have economies of scale to reduce their import costs, but still has to pay something to bring them in. He can't stick them in a buddy's luggage.

Minion

agree on the he has to cover his transport cost, but that transport cost is not to the tune of $100/unit either.

Also remember the $399 in the states is their shop price, which makes the dealer cost price less, which is the dealer price for dealers in SA also, he then ships it, and happily passes the $399 and continue traveling upwards.

Their landing price is way way below R5000, i'm all for making profit, running a business.

At times I think there are simply to many people with open hands along the way, each wanting his min 10%.

G

Duty free allowance only applies if you're bringing it back for your own personal use. It's OK if you're flying and bringing it in yourself. Not if your friend is importing it on your behalf.

It's still not really a fair comparison since you're not actually factoring in transport costs. The importer does have economies of scale to reduce their import costs, but still has to pay something to bring them in. He can't stick them in a buddy's luggage.

S.I.R.

But

G

Hi awsme,

Stock availability is an issue from GoPro side not the local distributor/retailer.

1. Omnico have ordered as many units from GoPro as we physically can for delivery pre Xmas.

2. White & Silver Editions have been delayed going to market locally as a result of pending ICASA approval.

3. Black Edition has been delayed by production issues in China. All we know is that the current ETA for production completion is early to mid Dec, so they will not be available anywhere till roughly mid Dec at best. We are airfreighting these units to have them here pre Xmas.

Ask your family to keep their eyes peeled at CUM, DueSouth and other retailers or pre order one from Action Cameras. As that is going to be your best chance of getting one for Xmas.

For those that want one ASAP: 599 dollars = around R5300

http://www.ebay.com/...2325aec767#shId

free shipping to South Africa.

Not saying it's a better deal and doesn't take into account any of the issues of buying items from overseas.

All I'm saying is it's available now if you want it (well within 7 days delivery).

G

Edited by Dubber