The MTN OFM Classic

Agteros

entered as the final leg in a 3 week blitz on cycling events. Jacaranda Classic / Bela-Bela event / this... :w00t:

Anybody doing this?

What am I to expect for my first OFM?

Where to stay on Saturday evening?

Edited by robox

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Yes will be doing OFM, Its a very well organised race.

Most people will tell you that it should be flat and easy but not quite , of course no real mountains but they throw in three quite steep climbs of around 500m each in between 70-80 km and then another gradual climb of around 1.5 km at close to 100 km mark. There will also be wind on the route.

Nice roads . Should be plenty of accomodation. You will struggle to be more than 5km away from start as Bloemfontein is not that big.

Will also be doing the Jacaranda this weekend but only the 94km .

Seriously wondering if it is worth the effort to drive down......Bloemies is far and need accomodation for Saterday and mrs needs to organise to get off early from work in order to TRY and make number pickup.

So maybe too much of a drag.......

Seriously wondering if it is worth the effort to drive down......Bloemies is far and need accomodation for Saterday and mrs needs to organise to get off early from work in order to TRY and make number pickup.

Hi, this is my first OFM- don't know much about the number pick-up and nothing on cyclelab either. When and where? THanks!

My bad, see it's up now thumbup1.gif

Its definetely not the toughest but also not the easiest in the country.

What other races have you done.

First of all I really enjoy this race.

The OFM consists of long sections of relaxing in the bunch on wide roads and a few sections of hanging on where the bunch can split. It is very important to hang in there on every possible split to take advantage of the fast bunch so rather stay near the front of the group and do some work. If you sit at the back you have to work very hard to catch up as the front guys accelerate out of a sharp turn etc.

This is especially true at the start, warm up and be prepared to burn your lungs until you join the highway for the first time where you can recover.

In terms of comparison to other races my avg:

OFM 2011 - 33.83 km/h

Argus 2012 - 33.23 km/h

First of all I really enjoy this race.

The OFM consists of long sections of relaxing in the bunch on wide roads and a few sections of hanging on where the bunch can split. It is very important to hang in there on every possible split to take advantage of the fast bunch so rather stay near the front of the group and do some work. If you sit at the back you have to work very hard to catch up as the front guys accelerate out of a sharp turn etc.

This is especially true at the start, warm up and be prepared to burn your lungs until you join the highway for the first time where you can recover.

In terms of comparison to other races my avg:

OFM 2011 - 33.83 km/h

Argus 2012 - 33.23 km/h

I agree with you , few places where you need to hang on, for me it is up pellisier drive the first uphill when joining the Highway, the next two hills on the highway if bunch have not settled, The hill at Oranje meisies School, Albrecht street, Lucas Steyn, The Engen Hill on the N1 but after that I am fine.

My averages for OFM last year 38.8 km/H and Argus was 35.8 km/Hour so OFM was a bit easier but this year the route is a 8 km longer and I think a bit tougher than last year.

Its definetely not the toughest but also not the easiest in the country.

What other races have you done.

i have done the meals on wheels in Heidelberg and a powerade Vaal race and the jacaranda satellite, so this will be my fourth race ever..

Hi, Did the Meals on Wheels and and jacaranda this past weekend , if You can do those race you can do the OFM , The OFM a bit longer but we do less climbing 500-550m in the OFM while we did 700 in the 94km of the Satelite.

The wind also blew a bit at the meals on wheels .

come and enjoy a race that is a bit bigger than satelite classic , much safer and better organised. There is a small expo at number collection as well which can interest you.

Unfortunately we have not had any rain yet so it is really dry in the Free state so no green scenery.

IMO this race is fairly flat and fast. Yes there is 1 or 2 smallish climbs but it is not compairable to SBR or Hekpoort. However, expect some wind, and a lot of wheel suckers!