Bike shudder when braking

JohnnyReggae

New to the whole 2 wheeler thing. Have a question about braking, specifically a shudder when using the back break. I assume it is due to a misalignment of the brake callipers on the disk ?

New to the whole 2 wheeler thing. Have a question about braking, specifically a shudder when using the back break. I assume it is due to a misalignment of the brake callipers on the disk ?

Or your disk is warped.

Those two are the most common I would say, but in more detail it can also be the material of the pads them self (heat distribution over contact surface to disk).

Try and allign the brakes 1st (that isnt too difficult - search for vids in the web) or pay attention to the disk when spinning the wheel to is if it is warped.

edit: my famous spelling mistakes

Edited by hayleyearth

As the lovely lady said "check alignment"

Easy to do.

Take a 5mm alen key and undo the two bolts holding the caliper to the mount. Don't remove them.

Make sure the caliper is free to move.

Now have a friend or pet hold the brake lever fairly tight to ensure the pads are making good contact with the disc.

Now tighten the bolts back down to the correct torque specifications.

It should be fine now unless your disc is in fact warped.

I have also had some success cleaning the braking surface with alcohol pads .....

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Just did a quick adjustment as per S.I.R. Maxxis suggestions, will see how it goes on the ride home this afternoon after work. I did notice that the calliper moved when tightening it despite the brake being pulled really hard, it also pulled the disk when tightening. I tried to hold it in place when tightening it to prevent that extra pull as the washer grips the metal. Clearly I may just be doing a hack job, but let's see how it goes :)

Just did a quick adjustment as per S.I.R. Maxxis suggestions, will see how it goes on the ride home this afternoon after work. I did notice that the calliper moved when tightening it despite the brake being pulled really hard, it also pulled the disk when tightening. I tried to hold it in place when tightening it to prevent that extra pull as the washer grips the metal. Clearly I may just be doing a hack job, but let's see how it goes smile.png

Yo Johnny, welcome to the world of two wheels

To take care of that caliper body sliding when fastening the bolts turn each one a quarter turn at a time to spread the loading and this usually helps when you get to the real "torquing down those mothers" to make sure they are well fastened.

Keep an eye on it as usually the leading bolt is the culprit ... get this one fastened a bit first and then the other ... alternate and ride your bike that has two wheels, gears, suspension, handle bars, brakes and free hub .... this is all a new experience for you :)

Just did a quick adjustment as per S.I.R. Maxxis suggestions, will see how it goes on the ride home this afternoon after work. I did notice that the calliper moved when tightening it despite the brake being pulled really hard, it also pulled the disk when tightening. I tried to hold it in place when tightening it to prevent that extra pull as the washer grips the metal. Clearly I may just be doing a hack job, but let's see how it goes smile.png

Yip, that usually happens - the movement when tiightening it. Like Hairy said, tighten them a bit at a time, not one all the way and then the other.

This is also a reason why I allign them with the eye and not always the brake 'grabbing' way...play with it, it is worth it.

It could simply be a loose calliper.

or rotor... I've had shudder with both.

orrrrrr...

you're riding on the limits, taking flat corners with your rear wheel drifting out and the lateral flex of the wheel causes it to shudder as it slashes the terrafirma. that's the best kind of shudder!

or rotor... I've had shudder with both.

orrrrrr...

you're riding on the limits, taking flat corners with your rear wheel drifting out and the lateral flex of the wheel causes it to shudder as it slashes the terrafirma. that's the best kind of shudder!

Rubbish man even on my Tektros that doesn't happen when I do that eek.gif

Sure, that kind of shudder is ok, but only if you're not getting the best kind....

....but then the Mrs can get funny about tyre-tracks on the bedsheets.

Edited by Joe Low

Yo Johnny, welcome to the world of two wheels

To take care of that caliper body sliding when fastening the bolts turn each one a quarter turn at a time to spread the loading and this usually helps when you get to the real "torquing down those mothers" to make sure they are well fastened.

Keep an eye on it as usually the leading bolt is the culprit ... get this one fastened a bit first and then the other ... alternate and ride your bike that has two wheels, gears, suspension, handle bars, brakes and free hub .... this is all a new experience for you smile.png

It is a new experience :) or rather a renew of an old experience, but it has been at least 6 or 7 years since I was last on a bike and even then it wasn't much. I've probably done more riding in the last week commuting to work than I have in the previous 10 years on a bike. My unicycle is some much simpler to deal with, although I've just put a disk brake onto my mountain uni and have to contend with some alignment issues now.

I'll redo my handy work from earlier using your tweaked method when tightening, and see how it goes later.

Rubbish man even on my Tektros that doesn't happen when I do that eek.gif

Lies! Lies! We know you don't brake... you just rail them corners at full speed!

Yip, that usually happens - the movement when tiightening it. Like Hairy said, tighten them a bit at a time, not one all the way and then the other.

This is also a reason why I allign them with the eye and not always the brake 'grabbing' way...play with it, it is worth it.

Another option to try, thanks ... Maybe some more experience riding on a bike and I'll get the hang of it ;)