shimano 105 10spd chain life

fandacious

i don't think there is a straight answer to your question. it depends on how clean you keep your chain, how hard you ride etc.

a 105 should last you a season. but normally change every 6 months to prolong the life of the cassette.

I use 105 and Ultegra chains, clean them off the bike (use quicklink) on a regular basis, lube after each clean (one tiny drop per roller) and get about 3000k's between changes.

Yip i'd say 3000kms is about right.

Mine has done 1500kms and is starting to show a little stretch. I'm guessing another 1500kms and it'll be time to replace.

I know this isn't helpful but I've got 1030km on mine so far. My XT chain lasted 3195km before breaking and I replaced it with the 105 as it was R100 cheaper. But so far so good.

Do you guys get away with just a new chain or do you bang on a new cassette and blades aswell,I have a park tool chain checker and my chain is on the 0.75 setting now,I'm not sure to put on a new chain and risk it slipping or to ride the current drivetrain into the ground and replace chain cassette and blades in one go?

I recently replaced my chain, it was YBN (as sold here on the hub) and I got about 7500km from it.

So I'd guess that a 105 should get the same mileage, probably even more.

It will depend on how you look after them and how much strain you put them under.

Do you guys get away with just a new chain or do you bang on a new cassette and blades aswell,I have a park tool chain checker and my chain is on the 0.75 setting now,I'm not sure to put on a new chain and risk it slipping or to ride the current drivetrain into the ground and replace chain cassette and blades in one go?

IMO replacing the cassette when the chain wears out is a bike shop con.

Blades last forever (well almost).

I use 105 and Ultegra chains, clean them off the bike (use quicklink) on a regular basis, lube after each clean (one tiny drop per roller) and get about 3000k's between changes.

yeh - i'm doing about 1500km / month so i dont see myself replacing a chain every 2 months :/

.......and how much strain you put them under.

Very true.

A sprinter or powerful climber is going to wear out a chain much quicker than a fun rider.

IMO replacing the cassette when the chain wears out is a bike shop con.

Blades last forever (well almost).

from the mountain bike side it's definitely not a con,it all wears at the same rate,but I'm new to the road stuff where you have no mud and grit so you obviously have far less wear on components

I have a 105 drive train, had it for 4 years, bought it second hand with about 2000km on it... Have since added another 7500 km, to it with nothing more than keeping it clean and lubed. It mostly does IDT duty, and my weekly climbing ride, but gets out for a few special occasions... it still shifts well, and does show some wear.

from the mountain bike side it's definitely not a con,it all wears at the same rate,but I'm new to the road stuff where you have no mud and grit so you obviously have far less wear on components

I have mostly replaced middle chainring only on my MTB's and on a very rare occasion the big blade when replacing the chain/cluster ..... I do know someone that has worn out a granny but he shall remain nameless hey DAN!

I have yet to replace a chain on either my Ultegra10sp on one bike and 9sp on my other bike but I don't do the kind of roadbike miles you guys do. Having said that both those groupsets are on close to 5000k's ......

I replace my chain when it is half worn.

Do roughly 8 months max on a chain - 8000 km's.

But it all depends on how you shift, clean chain etc.

I get the cheapest ten speed chain possible. Shimano 105 works for me even though everything else is force.