Langebaan Lagoon Cycle Challenge

Cippo

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kloof seems to be about 9. something %... I was checking it out last night and found that Geneva Drive is a 7.7%, Ou Kaapse short side is 6.7% so if you can struggle up those then that's great.

Went up Kloof for the first time on the weekend. Was funny experience with my weight / sprinters shape loved the cheery 'mornings' from sunday riding ladies in tshirts spinning the granny gear.

at least after 80kms you should be properly warmed up. ;)

Town apparently... the bay side up Camps bay drive is a 3.9kms @ 5.5% while Kloof Road from Clifton is 2.1kms @ 8.2%. Kloof nek from Town is 9.2% and from Eaton Road it's about 1.2kms of wondering if you'd left that last beer the night before it would be easier.

Bit off topic but compare that to the Alto De L'Angliru that they love to include in the Vuelta on a regular basis:

The top of the climb is 1,573 metres (5,161 ft) above sea level. The height difference is 1,266 m (4,154 ft). The climb is 12.5 kilometres (7.8 mi) long, an average of 10.13%. It is near 24% at its steepest. The first 5 km (3.1 mi) are an average of 7.6%— stiff but not over-demanding for world-class cyclists. The sixth kilometre lessens to 2.1% and has a short descent. The last half of the climb is more severe. From six kilometres to the summit, it averages 13.1%. The steepest part, the Cueña les Cabres at 23.6%, is 3 km (1.9 mi) from the summit. There are two later ramps at 18% to 21%.

And I'm heading the europe to ride the classic cols next year - ouch.

Bit off topic but compare that to the Alto De L'Angliru that they love to include in the Vuelta on a regular basis:

The top of the climb is 1,573 metres (5,161 ft) above sea level. The height difference is 1,266 m (4,154 ft). The climb is 12.5 kilometres (7.8 mi) long, an average of 10.13%. It is near 24% at its steepest. The first 5 km (3.1 mi) are an average of 7.6%— stiff but not over-demanding for world-class cyclists. The sixth kilometre lessens to 2.1% and has a short descent. The last half of the climb is more severe. From six kilometres to the summit, it averages 13.1%. The steepest part, the Cueña les Cabres at 23.6%, is 3 km (1.9 mi) from the summit. There are two later ramps at 18% to 21%.

And I'm heading the europe to ride the classic cols next year - ouch.

you'll need a 27. lots of ice for the knees afterwards.

I

you'll need a 27. lots of ice for the knees afterwards.

I'll take anything... 34x29 or maybe even a triple ring (for the cols, not the mamba). As Pantani said "to use anything more than a 23 is to forfeit one's manhood". That's fine, I've crossed that line so why not go full eunuch!

I still say, go and do the ride, the rest of the Park is well worth experiencing the short incline at the end of the ride.... thumbup1.gif

I remember the last time this event was on the calendar a buck jumped out of the bush & nearly took out the entire A bunch that was the highlight for me.