Trail runners on the , err , trails.

jimmy hardtail

Trees, I remember trees!!! (and sometimes horses and dogs) and riding on my "green mamba" where I liked ;-) slipping on sand and pine needles and falling in dongas, and never seeing another cyclist. And a goshawk taking its catch right under my nose.

The Goshawk is still around.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like where the conversation has gone.

A few facts about the trails runners. Through Old Mutual events, donations of up to nearly R250 000 has been made. This is to fund the repair of hiking trails and reforestation of areas recently felled being used by the runners. I am unfortunately not expecting any of this money to make it's way to Tokai as there is already a system here that cares for the trails.

I am however going to suggest that a registry of runners entering the park be kept. Similar to mountain biking, It can serve as safety as well as to track the numbers making use of MTB ST, these figures should be reviewed regularly to ascertain the viability of MTB only funding used for the upkeep of the trails. Noel, thanks again for your contribution to safety for cyclists and runners alike, note that if one-day instituted, this contribution towards trail maintenance would come out of the trail runner funds managed by the SANParks HR's.

Should runners have their own custom trails? Le Parcours anyone?

Edited by Pain or Shine

I believe Trail Runners should enjoy the right of way always. They leave a smaller carbon footprint in anycase. I havent heard of an antelope choking on Gu gels from trail runners, only form MTB'ers.

Oh and also they have more respect for nature as a whole.

I also feel that MTB'ers should all wear clearly marked numbers on the front and back so that if we trail runners see them acting untoward, we can hand in their details and they can get a ban or something. I am tired of you MTB'ers acting as if you own the trails. The audacety is shocking.

Guest Omega Man

I just had an idea regarding the encounters.

Some of the trails are being made directional. Slow but it has to happen. Maybe the runners using the trails should be encouraged to run in the opposite direction that the MTB trails go.

I.e. Runners must run UP the DH (JUST DON'T BREAK THE LIPS OF THE JUMPS) and down puffader for example. That way they will be able to see the mtbers coming and take evasive action.

This is of course a utopian ideal as it's difficult enough to get MTBer's to ride in the correct direction.

Edited by Omega Man

I have been training my closeline so beware MTB'ers. I will get physical from now on. And in anycase, it is better training (and safer) to carry a tire-iron with me on my runs.

Guest Omega Man

I believe Trail Runners should enjoy the right of way always. They leave a smaller carbon footprint in anycase. I havent heard of an antelope choking on Gu gels from trail runners, only form MTB'ers.

I also feel that MTB'ers should all wear clearly marked numbers on the front and back so that if we trail runners see them acting untoward, we can hand in their details and they can get a ban or something. I am tired of you MTB'ers acting as if you own the trails. The audacety is shocking.

Haha. Wait. What? You mean we don't own them?

And when it is a mountain bike specific trail, we should then also give right of way? Carbon footprint, smaller, how?

Unless you are just trolling for sh*its and giggles..

Guest Omega Man

I have been training my closeline so beware MTB'ers. I will get physical from now on. And in anycase, it is better training (and safer) to carry a tire-iron with me on my runs.

You know. a mate of mine was riding on an illegal trail in Austria (Yes Yes I know it's illegal) and he rode into a piece of wire strung across the track that the farmer had rigged. He almost lost his head (literally)

The police were looking at charging the farmer with attempted murder.

There, I fixed your post to resemble reasonable comment! wink.png You obviously have your tongue very firmly in your cheek.

G ... we ride with bombs, so that tyre iron might be a little lame.

Carbon foot print ... do you drive to work and back every day .. .do you drive to the trail you are running on ...

In my case I cycle to work and back every day on my MTB (hell my bikes do far more mileage per month that the car could ever do), more often than not I cycle to the trail and eat dates not GU's ....

My bikes are built up from second hand frames and often many parts too (yebo, recycling)

I recon my Carbon foot print is nice and small!

I like it when someone threatens physical violence on an internet forum, like a "tire-iron" especially stringing up a "closeline" the cowardice behind something like that is so in sync with keyboard warrior syndrome.

Guest Omega Man

I like it when someone threatens physical violence on an internet forum, like a "tire-iron" especially stringing up a "closeline" the cowardice behind something like that is so in sync with keyboard warrior syndrome.

He's just messing around.

ph34r.png

Haha!

whistling.gif

Actually I do both MTB and Trail running and I dont know why it is such an issue. I always hear the MTB'ers coming from a mile away and get out of the way. In anycase if you run on trails with a MP3 player - you are doing it wrong buddy (except Ryan Sandes - he is allowed to do it)

Of course we own the trails runner boy/girl- this is CT after all, not Jhb amd we'll defend our turf to the bitter end. In fact, trail runners at Tokai will soon be obliged to wear bright orange bibs and run barefoot to limit their range, so come prepared when you travel down to run here! devil.gif cursing.gif clap.gif

Of course we own the trails runner boy/girl- this is CT after all, not Jhb amd we'll defend our turf to the bitter end. In fact, trail runners at Tokai will soon be obliged to wear bright orange bibs and run barefoot to limit their range, so come prepared when you travel down to run here! devil.gif cursing.gif clap.gif

Obviously you dont know what the Garf is capable of???

I eat MTB'ers for breakfast brother. The Garf is more renowned than Jack the Ripper was.......

The thing is that you never see me... Next time you get a flat and wonder if it was natures fault.... it was NOT, it was the Garfs claw you just didnt see me.....

The Garf likes Dassie. Its like a big rat.... only it tastes better in lasagne