Time to Stop Counting Metres?

BBJSportGuy

I think that it is high time that the ABSA Cape Epic stop counting how many metres are climbed on every stage.

Yes, we get it, it's a tough race.

Yes, it goes up some amazing mountains.

Yes, not everyone can do it, we get it.

A race is not the road, it's about who you are racing against. Even a flat race can be tough if the conditions are right and the racers are tough.

I don't think that the average person can even comprehend what it means to "climb 2500m" in a day.

I think it's time that the Epic find another attraction factor.

J

Leave it as as it is.

I like knowing what they ar riding and if the average person does not know they will either try and figure it out relative to a climb or elevation they know or they will just not care. Either way, those that do know what it equates to I am sure value the information.

Leave it as as it is.

I like knowing what they ar riding and if the average person does not know they will either try and figure it out relative to a climb or elevation they know or they will just not care. Either way, those that do know what it equates to I am sure value the information.

The Tour de France doesn't advertise how many metres the riders climb, rather how difficult individual climbs are. I have seen Le Tour riders hurting up little 3rd Category climbs. It's about the riders.

Why not advertise just how fast they ride, or for how long etc?

The average person knows tha Table Mountain is about a thousand meters, so during the Epic they climb it x times. The average person has no idea what a "category 3 climb" means, except "frikken tough".

The average person knows tha Table Mountain is about a thousand meters, so during the Epic they climb it x times. The average person has no idea what a "category 3 climb" means, except "frikken tough".

And the Tour category ratings are a complicated affair.

The Cape Epic is not the Tour de France. Show me an Epic rider who doesn't want to know the vertical ascent and I will show you a liar. :-) how can you want take away something that defines an event? What value will that add? Remember for the majority it's not a race, it's you against the climbs and those guys want to know who that opponent is.

The Cape Epic is not the Tour de France. Show me an Epic rider who doesn't want to know the vertical ascent and I will show you a liar. :-) how can you want take away something that defines an event? What value will that add? Remember for the majority it's not a race, it's you against the climbs and those guys want to know who that opponent is.

Can't agree with you more, in MTB it's much more about the terrain you're facing than the other riders. A tough stage will always be tough regardless of who is riding with you.

I think that it is high time that the ABSA Cape Epic stop counting how many metres are climbed on every stage.

Yes, we get it, it's a tough race.

Yes, it goes up some amazing mountains.

Yes, not everyone can do it, we get it.

A race is not the road, it's about who you are racing against. Even a flat race can be tough if the conditions are right and the racers are tough.

I don't think that the average person can even comprehend what it means to "climb 2500m" in a day.

I think it's time that the Epic find another attraction factor.

J

Why spend so much energy campaigning for what seems - to me - such a small issue.

I can only speak for myself, but surely the more information available on each stage the better?

As far as i am concerned vertical ascent is THE most important stat on a ride. If a ride is 100km or 50km its irrelevant. Whats relevant is climbing. A 100km ride with 1000m climbing is much easier than a 50km ride with 2000m climbing.

Counting metres (vertical ascent as well) is part of the brand feature of what 'Epic' means....

Suits just fine.

What other "attraction factor" can you suggest?

I can't think of any other, in the spirit of 'Epic'.

To the OP, are you trying to up your post counts by writing a bull***t comment?ph34r.png

Do you even ride a mtb?

I know every race or ride i compete in I am most interested to see how how much climbing is involved and the route profile to see at what distances the climbing comes into the race.