1st road 94.7 on Mtb and I have some questions

Active Monkey

I had a spare set of wheels, so just purchased slicks and put them on. Now I can swap between the wheelsets according to my requirements. No fuss, no drama

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting slicks on an mtb is not as dof as you make it sound. The difference in effort to your ride is huge compared to the costs. Who cares what roadies think about your mtb with slicks anyway?

If you can afford a road bike too, buy one. If not, fit slicks for your road events

It's not the roadies judging but the MTBers. I thought the mountain goats had a live and let live thing going but here they are using cool and uncool...

I'll be there on my Dale in all my fancy kit and the only guy I will shake my head at is the one chewing up his R 500.00 UST tyres and grinding his dirty XT drive chain to hell because he thinks it will be cool to pass roadies like that.

The only roadies he will pass are slow ones and what's the point of that?

Use slicks if you want, it's cheaper and faster, clean and lube your bike properly and whoever recommends a smoke beforehand, or any other time, needs to be shot.

Actually very valid point...so two slicks guessing they cost 150-200 bucks a pop so lets take an avg = 175 * 2 = 350 bokke

Tubes = 35 * 2 = 70 bokke

Sealant wasted after fitting tubes and then converting tubeless again..lets say half a bottle joe's = 80 bokke

For a grand total of 500 rond....ag nee my donner for what...so that you can have skinny-malinky tyres on your way to race for 9123 position. It will never be a road bike no matter what makeup you put on.

Try bru but those slicks can be used over and over and will last a very long time. Most folk got back up tubes too.

I wouldn't put slicks for a single event only but they are useful for indoor and road training.

If you know what you are doing you won't waste your goo either...

Ahhh what the hell...

You're right... Use your knobbies or get a road bike, Colnago or Dale and run with the tight pant crowd...

At almost 50 years old and it being my first 94.7, I dont give a rats bum about being cool...when I am so tired I cant even say my own name, "cool' is the furtherest thing from my mind!w00t.gif ...I will go for what will make my ride easier, more comfortable and more enjoyablethumbup1.gif

Enjoying this thread....clap.gif

At almost 50 years old and it being my first 94.7, I dont give a rats bum about being cool...when I am so tired I cant even say my own name, "cool' is the furtherest thing from my mind!w00t.gif ...I will go for what will make my ride easier, more comfortable and more enjoyablethumbup1.gif

Enjoying this thread....clap.gif

You know there is a 40km version this year...no need to thank whistling.gif

It's not the roadies judging but the MTBers. I thought the mountain goats had a live and let live thing going but here they are using cool and uncool...

I'll be there on my Dale in all my fancy kit and the only guy I will shake my head at is the one chewing up his R 500.00 UST tyres and grinding his dirty XT drive chain to hell because he thinks it will be cool to pass roadies like that.

The only roadies he will pass are slow ones and what's the point of that?

Use slicks if you want, it's cheaper and faster, clean and lube your bike properly and whoever recommends a smoke beforehand, or any other time, needs to be shot.

Crackendale....nuff said.

You know there is a 40km version this year...no need to thank whistling.gif

I thank you anywaythumbup1.gif ...in a moment of "I have always wanted to do the 94.7", mid-life crises driven, mad, irrational moments, I signed up for thisblush.png ...nuff said!

I thank you anywaythumbup1.gif ...in a moment of "I have always wanted to do the 94.7", mid-life crises driven, mad, irrational moments, I signed up for thisblush.png ...nuff said!

Lekker...and good for you man...I was taking the piss a bit in my posts above, stirring a bit you know, but in all honesty just go and have a jol, take in the vibe and have a good time. That is what it is about...don't over think it.

Edited by rouxtjie

Lekker...and good for you man...I was taking the piss a bit in my posts above, stirring a bit you know, but in all honesty just go and have a jol, take in the vibe and have a good time. That is what it is about...don't over think it.

thumbup1.gif ...Fanks...

hit a nerve there didn't I....

Oh and for the record we not proclaiming they are uncool...the ARE uncool.

Slicks on a mtb = like putting a moerse wing on your 1.3L chico that does 0-100 in 30sec. But if it rocks your world who I am to judge

You definitely did hit a nerve thumbup1.gif One of my pet hates....

Agree with the tubeless thing, won't mess up a good tubeless conversion to put slicks on, but not all mtb'ers are riding tubeless and if you already have tubes on why not?

If you have no ambition other than to ride at the back of the field with a Gunston in your mouth and beer in your bottlecage, then by all means keep on the knobblies. But for others there is some satisfaction riding as hard as they can, crossing the line in 9123 position seeing only road bikes around them knowing you brought a knife to a gunfight and still did pretty well. Different strokes...

You definitely did hit a nerve thumbup1.gif One of my pet hates....

Agree with the tubeless thing, won't mess up a good tubeless conversion to put slicks on, but not all mtb'ers are riding tubeless and if you already have tubes on why not?

If you have no ambition other than to ride at the back of the field with a Gunston in your mouth and beer in your bottlecage, then by all means keep on the knobblies. But for others there is some satisfaction riding as hard as they can, crossing the line in 9123 position seeing only road bikes around them knowing you brought a knife to a gunfight and still did pretty well. Different strokes...

Good now that we have covered you pet hate, here is mine...okes that take themselves too serious. I am glad that sprint to the line where you pipped tant mossie from driefontein gave you a semi, give yourself a high five and fistpump 5 times....the slicks and your eye of the tiger instinct really made the difference.

PS I heard autozone is having a end of year sale on their performance wings. You might wanna check it out

Hehe for a crackerjack.

Never fear, it's a CAAD, only crack you'll see is mine if your sucking my wheel!

ahhh you doing it right...proper geo, proper gearing, proper wheels for the road.

Good now that we have covered you pet hate, here is mine...okes that take themselves too serious. I am glad that sprint to the line where you pipped tant mossie from driefontein gave you a semi, give yourself a high five and fistpump 5 times....the slicks and your eye of the tiger instinct really made the difference.

PS I heard autozone is having a end of year sale on their performance wings. You might wanna check it out

Geez you are a stirrer. He-he. One can take the "dont take yourself too serious"-thing too far also. In the end only the top 10 roadies will have proper gear and the rest will be in slops on Makro bikes. Give us slowpokes a chance to play dress-up too! Will be looking out for the smoking podium guys...

ahhh you doing it right...proper geo, proper gearing, proper wheels for the road.

Forgot to mention the Giordana bib shorts and sidi shoes, oh crap, no wonder the MTBers hate us...

Forgot to mention the Giordana bib shorts and sidi shoes, oh crap, no wonder the MTBers hate us...

nah I love roadie tannies...I would do two 94.7 laps if I was sitting behind the right boude. And for the record I reckon roadies can suffer much more and for longer than us goats....those big rings are not for sissies.