Which side are your brakes?

G00SE

Left:front, right:rear

Also think which is your dominent, stronger hand, I'd say use this for the rear, rather a hand full quick for the rear than a hand full to quick on the front,

My gears are also the same, left:FD, right:RD.

G

I disagree - with modern brakes, you don't need to be strong to lock a wheel. Your right hand (if dominant) is also better at motor skill/control, so best to use that for front where you need finer modulation to control the bike.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is I don't really care which goes where but after decades of wiring my reactions to a certain orientation changing it makes horrible accidents , like giant endos at 40km/hr trying to jam on brakes to avoid cars pulling out in front of you etc , in those situations your subconscious reactions take over and your brain says back brake is that hand whether its actually back brake or not.

I tried swopping when I got some brakes with cable lengths that forced the orientation to the opposite I'm used to , had some spine chilling experiences in very hairy situations doing endo wheelies , hahaha was funny afterwards but during the moment was *** , as was the roasty going over the handlebars into the rock garden....

I recently swopped my brakes on my new mountain bike to be the same as my road bike.

Left = rear

Right = front

Consistency is key... Lets hope my new road bike is wired the same o.O

All I can say is I don't really care which goes where but after decades of wiring my reactions to a certain orientation changing it makes horrible accidents , like giant endos at 40km/hr trying to jam on brakes to avoid cars pulling out in front of you etc , in those situations your subconscious reactions take over and your brain says back brake is that hand whether its actually back brake or not.

I tried swopping when I got some brakes with cable lengths that forced the orientation to the opposite I'm used to , had some spine chilling experiences in very hairy situations doing endo wheelies , hahaha was funny afterwards but during the moment was *** , as was the roasty going over the handlebars into the rock garden....

Pull your front brakes as hard as you want and you will have to try very hard to do an endo. You cant just merrilly be riding along and pop, pop a superman. Thats braking technique not orientation. Get used to your right (or more sensitive hand) modulating speed scrub. Locking the back ends up in more severe probles, speeding banshee comes screeching into his group. Try using your front brake as much as possible in replacing speed scrubbing u normally do with the back. Once you get the hang of it, it is amazingly effective.

Whether this is right/left is largely irrelevant.

So for all the guys that argue the "I used to be a hardcore biker so put my front brake on the right"... do you twitch your right foot when you want to use the rear brakes? Do you pull your rear brake just before you change gears?

:lol:

just messing with ya!

But I do know of some guys who ride moto and mtb and prefer to have the front brake orientation different cos it reminds them they're on a different machine (no clutch, no foot operated rear brake).

Blah blah blah :P

For normal riding having the brakes 'wrong' for you doesn't really matter too much as long as you use correct braking technique. Like when I rode your 6.6 around the parking lot the other evening... Bombing along a technical trail is a different story.

Moto here, but grabbed a handful of Avid Codes in the parking lot and they were switched.. !! Heck, it's like trying to brake with your clutch foot! Bike went vertical immediately..

For normal riding having the brakes 'wrong' for you doesn't really matter too much as long as you use correct braking technique. Like when I rode your 6.6 around the parking lot the other evening... Bombing along a technical trail is a different story.

Moto here, but grabbed a handful of Avid Codes in the parking lot and they were switched.. !! Heck, it's like trying to brake with your clutch foot! Bike went vertical immediately..

Slick, I'm not saying that the orientation doesn't matter. Hells, if I get on a bike with the brakes swopped I'll have a bad time.

What I'm saying is that because someone used to or still rides motobikes, it shouldn't dictate which way they have their MTB brakes. It's personal preference, not other-hobby-dictated.

Take Aaron Gwin for instance. He can ride MX and MTB better than 99.99% of the people on the hub (I left out 0.001 cos Mr Minn has shown face here on occasion :D ).

He rides his DH bike with levers opposite to his MX bike

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/07/07/1279119125640-bho5tblqohht-670-75.jpg

I disagree - with modern brakes, you don't need to be strong to lock a wheel. Your right hand (if dominant) is also better at motor skill/control, so best to use that for front where you need finer modulation to control the bike.

Agree with you there, RacerX. Strength has nothing to do with it. It's about fine motor skills and dexterity.

Guest The Bushpig

Can`t kill the habit of to many years on off road motorbikes - left rear, right front.

Yup, me too. I have gone A over K a couple of times on my bicycle because I grab the left lever(front) in order to start changing down gears. Tried to unlearn this, with limited success. Overdue for a swap-around.

Yup, me too. I have gone A over K a couple of times on my bicycle because I grab the left lever(front) in order to start changing down gears. Tried to unlearn this, with limited success. Overdue for a swap-around.

clap.gif clap.gif

do you make motobike noises with your lips as you carry out this gearing down procedure? :lol: ;)