New or used?

forkie

I have always been a bit wary of buying second-hand - sorry all the okes that use the classifieds. I am currently looking at upgrading my bike and I have the oppertunity to get a 2 year old Merida 96 Carbon for around 20k. Now you can get quite a decent new bike for this money. It wont be carbon but will have very somilar components. So am I mad to consider buying second hand or am I mad to miss out on a Carbon 96 for 20K? All advice welcome. Ta

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No dude, thats a rip off.

Seriously? Dont these bikes retail at around 40k new? I thought it was quite a good price. But I have no idea about how much bikes depreciate etc.

No dude, thats a rip off.

Plus one.

If it is similarly specced and second hand, i wouldnt pay more than R13k.

Plus, dirtbreath makes a good point about carbon second hand.

Unless you know and trust the guy selling it, i would rather buy new or wait for a better deal on a proper metal bike :)

Seriously? Dont these bikes retail at around 40k new? I thought it was quite a good price. But I have no idea about how much bikes depreciate etc.

These bikes depreciated like crazy (a large factor is the wheel size)

I agree with Wayne's price.

A few month back I was looking at buying a new 96 on clearance because of the 2013 models coming out, I was given a price of 16k... so 20k for a two year old is MAAAD!!! as mentioned previously stick to alloy if you buy second hand or find a nice new carbon bike.

Edit: might have different components though but the 96 I looked at retailed for 26k before the clearance special.

Edited by Nofearnofun

@facmp...that is not the best price for that particular bike...16k would be a good deal...20 is a bit much. Now its carbon and we all know the risks associated with buying secondhand nevermind carbon secondhand, no warrantee claims so make sure its insured for all risk. Inspect thoroughly...around the bb...chainstays and seatpost are the usual suspect points...Any indication of a crack cosmetic or otherwise...walk away.

I saw some 96's at Wayne Pfeiffer on Tuesday, sorry I did not check prices. Give them a call to get the new price, and use that as a starting pointthumbup1.gif

A few month back I was looking at buying a new 96 on clearance because of the 2013 models coming out, I was given a price of 16k... so 20k for a two year old is MAAAD!!! as mentioned previously stick to alloy if you buy second hand or find a nice new carbon bike.

Edit: might have different components though but the 96 I looked at retailed for 26k before the clearance special.

I tend to recall them selling for about R 20-25k two or three years ago....but cannot remember secs and such.

For 20 K I would rather buy a new Cannondale CAAD 10 with Ultegra. A far better bike in my opinion and most likely even lighter.

For 20 K I would rather buy a new Cannondale CAAD 10 with Ultegra. A far better bike in my opinion and most likely even lighter.

I'd rather jump off a building for free before buying a road bike...whistling.gif