Which stem (road bike)

Mr SingleTrack

Ok so I need to get a shorter stem for my Scott R3 Addict. I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible without compromising on strength. I am looking at one of the Richey 260 stems but to be honest I really don’t know how strong they are.

Any suggestions?

A stem is a stem is a stem.

The weight difference between the lightest of stems and the heaviest of stems is about 50g or so, but the price difference is staggering. Buy the cheapest one that looks coolest on your bike.

I have never heard of somebody breaking a stem.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

ive got a richey wcs stem, not the lightest but very durable for the weight.

Jip that's the one that I have toothumbup1.gif

I ride a WCS stem on my mtb and a WCS 260 on my road bike and I wouldn't put it on my mtb.it flexes quite a bit compared to the WCS but it is lighter and looks cooler with the 3bolts.

A stem is a stem is a stem.

The weight difference between the lightest of stems and the heaviest of stems is about 50g or so, but the price difference is staggering. Buy the cheapest one that looks coolest on your bike.

I have never heard of somebody breaking a stem.

I've broken lots of light stems. The usual rule applies:

Light

Cheap

Strong

Pick two.

I have a 130mm PRO Vibe stem at the moment which has been excellent.

I also was unable to break my 120mm ControlTech stem - weighed 99 grams.

By contrast I've had KCNC stems that only lasted a few weeks. Not a nice thing to have fail. Depends on the rider though, I am quite a big guy and others have used them without issue.