29er frame size

Jaco-fiets

I know it has been debated here but i actually measured the geometry (actual top tube length) on my current 26er and compared it to 1 or 2 29er geometry charts. According to this i don't see people shorter than me (1.77m) being able to ride allot of 29er brands.

I took the B measurement in this image:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2e1zvir.jpg

The measurement on my current 26er is 570mm. When i go to the Momsen geometry chart i barely fit on a small frame.

Is my assumption correct or am i missing something here?

My Bianchi 29er is a medium and I have no issues at all with reach. I'm 176 or 177-abouts.

Thing is, a lot of people that are in the 160-170cm ranges have no issues fitting on a 29er, so I think it comes down to the individual's arm reach and torso length at the end of the day.

Correct sizing depends not only on your height. Inseam & arm length all play a part. So too does individual comfort. Many 29rs run shorter stems than what you would find on a 26r. This shortens the overall gap between bars and seat.

I'm 174cm and feel completely comfortable on my 29r dual, 29r HT & 26r dual. Just get the correct frame size, Set things up correctly and go ride.

My xc bike (26er) medium's toptube is 585mm, and most medium's are in that range. Anthem is even longer at 595. Am / DH bikes generally have shorter toptubes than xc bikes, it depends on riding style.

I'm 1.74m tall so it also depends on torso length and reach, but you should be able to fit on a medium, maybe even a large 29er. Go for a proper bike fitting to see.

ps. Have a look at the FS Axis 29er geometry here, it has quite a short toptube: http://www.axis-bikes.com/bikes/mtb-full-suspension/a-10-fs-29er

Edited by Jacquers

When i look at the 2012 momsen SL929 frames their top tube lenth is 600mm for a small and 620m for medium. Because my current 26er is a medium and 570mm, do i go for a medium momsen frame or a small?

When i look at the 2012 momsen SL929 frames their top tube lenth is 600mm for a small and 620m for medium. Because my current 26er is a medium and 570mm, do i go for a medium momsen frame or a small?

You should also check the seat tube length and stand over height against your 26r...

Thanks for all the info guys. Phoned couple of people and seems the conclusion is that in almost all brands i will ride a medium 29er except for the pre 2013 momsens and 1 or 2 other brands which would be a small

You should also check the seat tube length and stand over height against your 26r...

Stand over height means very little, geometries are not the same and your center of gravity is higher than a 26er.

Seat tube length could play a roll ... on some Large frames I use a 400mm seatpost and can not get my correct saddle height without going way past the minimum insert mark ... good indication to move on to the XL frame size for me!

Stand over height means very little, geometries are not the same and your center of gravity is higher than a 26er.

Seat tube length could play a roll ... on some Large frames I use a 400mm seatpost and can not get my correct saddle height without going way past the minimum insert mark ... good indication to move on to the XL frame size for me!

Not so much refering to the 29r vs 26r stand over height differences, more the differing frame to frame stand over heights. Means a lot and makes a difference to me. Frames with the same seat post length can have differing stand over heights determined by where the top tube meets the seat tube. Guess the importance of this depends on your riding style...

Measuring 4 fingers between your sack and the top tube is very old school and I am of the (personal) opinion that it means jack all.

Its all about your position ON the bike. Sloping top tubes, especially on mtb's and even more so on dual suspensions and different geometries from all the different manufactures,. raised and lower center of gravity between 26er, 650b & 29er, makes stand over height the last thing on my list. Effective top tube length remains the most important measurement when sizing/buying a bike.

How do you ride in the stand over position?

Measuring 4 fingers between your sack and the top tube is very old school and I am of the (personal) opinion that it means jack all.

Its all about your position ON the bike. Sloping top tubes, especially on mtb's and even more so on dual suspensions and different geometries from all the different manufactures,. raised and lower center of gravity between 26er, 650b & 29er, makes stand over height the last thing on my list. Effective top tube length remains the most important measurement when sizing/buying a bike.

How do you ride in the stand over position?

Comes down to personal preference I guess. I prefer sloping top tubes, you may prefer a setup more parallel to the ground... the OP must decide what he likes by actually riding the bikes.

Does anybody have experience with the full dynamix brand? If i checked correctly i might even ride a L 29er in that brand. Crazy!

Personally I feel standover height is important..unlike on a road bike you mount/dismount alot more while on a mtb. Theres numerous times you want to dismount without having to climb off the bike.

I'm 181cm tall and test rode the merida BIG9 TFS XT 19" and I've got ample standover clearance, on the titan 29er PRO 19"(slanting top tube) my standover height is only abt 1/3 of the merida. That is a bit off putting because if I were to go for the small frame to help with standover height, my seat post would be out waytoo far even when running a 350mm postthumbdown.gif

I think the best would be test ride the bikes and see what fits, on paper nothing seems to be the samemellow.png

offtopic.gif : anyone know when the 2013 AXIS A10 will be available? ON PAPER IT SEEMS AS IF THIS BIKE WILL FIT ME BETTER, HAHAHAHAHAHwhistling.gif

Agreed, if you dont have a girlfriend your sack is gonna be way closer to the frame and you will end up with a frame too small for you.

I have a 83cm inseam and ride a medium