Thule bike rack for Fortuner

Garfield2010

Is there any particular Thule bike rack that goes especially well with the Fortuner or is it a matter of taste?

I see the options are the bike mounted on top of the car (wtf? doesnt this increase fuel consumption? Also my bike was made to go 40km/hour, not 140km?)

The rack mounted 2/3 of the way up at the back and then the normal old school right behind the towbar...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thule 3 bike Euroway. Usefull in more than just for cycling as you can see. 60kg weight limit but i`d say we exceeded this on quiet a few occasions. Expensive but worth it. If you are a mountainbiker and take 2 bikes then dont wast your time with the 2 bike model as it is a tight squeeze. 3 bikes is best.

post-5378-0-72079300-1352700482_thumb.jpg

Is there any particular Thule bike rack that goes especially well with the Fortuner or is it a matter of taste?

I see the options are the bike mounted on top of the car (wtf? doesnt this increase fuel consumption? Also my bike was made to go 40km/hour, not 140km?)

The rack mounted 2/3 of the way up at the back and then the normal old school right behind the towbar...

Just be careful when purchasing. I had my Thule for about 4 years. When i bought myself a Fortuner the exhaust burnt the plastic bit on the rack that holds the front wheel. They now make a s/s plate to stop this but it only fits the "G6" which is R9000. I have Just ordered a G3 and will go to an engineering shop to have a plate made up to fit to deflect the exhaust gasses.

Just be careful when purchasing. I had my Thule for about 4 years. When i bought myself a Fortuner the exhaust burnt the plastic bit on the rack that holds the front wheel. They now make a s/s plate to stop this but it only fits the "G6" which is R9000. I have Just ordered a G3 and will go to an engineering shop to have a plate made up to fit to deflect the exhaust gasses.

`

This issue can be cheaply sorted out with a replacement slip on chromed exchaust endpiece which delects the exhaust gas downwards in stead of straight back.

`

This issue can be cheaply sorted out with a replacement slip on chromed exchaust endpiece which delects the exhaust gas downwards in stead of straight back.

Last time I checked with them I was advised it would void my warranty. Will check again tomorrow.

Had the same issue on the exhaust. Using the rack with the half melted plastic support at the moment and it still works.

Can't go wrong with the Thule. When you load the bikes in the morning you can deal with taking off wheels etc, when you get back after a few hours riding with a bike full of mud you are love the Thule

Thule 3 bike Euroway. Usefull in more than just for cycling as you can see. 60kg weight limit but i`d say we exceeded this on quiet a few occasions. Expensive but worth it. If you are a mountainbiker and take 2 bikes then dont wast your time with the 2 bike model as it is a tight squeeze. 3 bikes is best.

Like your work DirtyFrank

Come through to Woodmead, We'll give you a run through of all the options, really its your choice in the end. As for looks, the Euroway G2 3bike goes pretty well with most cars. As for the melting of tyre's/ bike rack, we have a plate which we can rivet on the rack, in front of the exhaust. (to prevent such things)

Edited by 2-D

We have a fortuner and we put 4 bikes on the roof no problem, just dont forget they are on the roof, we drive from capetown to Knysna and there must be more fuel consumed but can't say I noticed it

We have a fortuner and we put 4 bikes on the roof no problem, just dont forget they are on the roof, we drive from capetown to Knysna and there must be more fuel consumed but can't say I noticed it

I am also looking to get roofracks cause getting a trailer soon. Do you use Thule and is windnoise not a problem?

They do whistle while you drive but when doing 120 down the freeway we keep the windows closed anyway, yes Thule pro ride

Edited by udxcob

Come through to Woodmead, We'll give you a run through of all the options, really its your choice in the end. As for looks, the Euroway G2 3bike goes pretty well with most cars. As for the melting of tyre's/ bike rack, we have a plate which we can rivet on the rack, in front of the exhaust. (to prevent such things)

I thought that plate was made only for the G3? I have been dealing with Woodmead for a little bit now while trying to make up my mind on what bike rack to go for. My options were either G2 (3 bike) or G3 (3 Bike). In the end i got it in writing from Toyota that putting a tail piece on that turns my exhaust down will not void my warranty and went with the G2.