Holla trails

Helpmytrap

Okay, so round about the 26th my girlfriend and I are going down to Umhlanga for a week or so and since I'm missing the 24hr for this holiday I'm taking the bike with.

Are there any places to ride in the area and/or hubbers willing to include me on a ride?

Much appreciated. PS, I'll bring beer.

Hey Helpmytrap, if you and the Ms's are wanting to venture out of the concrete jungle and up into the midlands, go check this link out .. https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/123557-karkloof-mtb-trails/ - and for those that view this, remember I live in howick and class myself as being "mildly biased" towards the trails in the Karkloof .. whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Rode Holla trails, red long new on Sunday - was great! Other than one instance of no marker, perfect ride. Compliments to the staff, very friendly and helpful and the bike wash is probably the best I've ever experienced - wash, polish, super shiny!!

Think I will visit again tomorrow.... If this crazy weather is a bit better

Rode Holla trails, red long new on Sunday - was great! Other than one instance of no marker, perfect ride. Compliments to the staff, very friendly and helpful and the bike wash is probably the best I've ever experienced - wash, polish, super shiny!!

Think I will visit again tomorrow.... If this crazy weather is a bit better

You'll have to leave your bike at home and take a canoe instead. I'm sure the routes will be nice to paddle along today...

You'll have to leave your bike at home and take a canoe instead. I'm sure the routes will be nice to paddle along today...

How's this weather? My heart goes out to all the folk living in temporary shelters. Don't think I've ever seen persistent heavy rain like this. The roads are like rivers. If you coming here for the holidays, pack an umbrella. And a wetsuit.

will be hitting the red and yellow over new year with mackie....can't wait!

If I'm not mistaken the yellow and purple share the same single track that descends under the "canopy" (that smells super miff) and then you come out at the bottom and ride up the right hand side of some sugar cane as it bends left. If it is the same, that stretch up along the sugar cane is un-ridable (rode there on the 30th-Nov) and was so muddy and smelt like who knows what that you even struggled to walk through (the tractors had been through there). So that was before all the recent rain, hope it dries out before you guys ride out there.

Anyway, I was able to go ride out there on one of the days and rode the purple and red new long. The red was pretty awesome except for that descent under the canopy about midway, super steep and slippery, I nearly cr@pped myself! You just touched the back brakes and the wheel locked up. Here are my rides (my Garmin had a fit, so the red is missing the whole start and section under those trees with all the ups and downs.)

Red: http://app.strava.co...vities/30233467 (I got lost at the 7.7km from home mark, you turn immediately left after a river crossing to go to the pic below)

Purple: http://app.strava.co...vities/30233465

post-35204-0-87291800-1355206332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Helpmytrap

will be hitting the red and yellow over new year with mackie....can't wait!

We need to hookup , im there too .

What dates you guys around in KZN

We need to hookup , im there too .

What dates you guys around in KZN

From around the 27th to the 3rd...must defnitely do mnr....taking the SS. Need to train for J2C so defnitely riding come rain or shine, let me know.

@helpmytrap...thanks, yea that is the same route from your pic...that is the yellow if I am not mistaken. Hope it dries out a bit before then. I remember that steep part on the red....luckily they had chicken wire over the wooden slats....but its a commit or fall type section. You cannot stop so you might as well go balls to the wall. I really loved the red route though.

The parts for my rear hub should finally be here by the end of the week so I can get my mtb operational again.

If you folks tire of Holla and are interested in seeing some other stuff in the bigger ranges behind Holla, give me a holler :)

The parts for my rear hub should finally be here by the end of the week so I can get my mtb operational again.

If you folks tire of Holla and are interested in seeing some other stuff in the bigger ranges behind Holla, give me a holler smile.png

Will def take you up on that offer. Fanks! thumbup1.gif

Here's a Google Earth image of one of my routes down from the Noodsberg at about 1,000m altitude into the upper Tongaat river valley. This is about 2/3 of the way down, where you drop off the edge of a ridge and descend for about 10km, losing about 700 vertical metres, all singletrack, and probably never ridden by a mountain biker except me.

There's hundreds of km of this stuff, all waiting to be discovered. Without my Garmin I'd just disappear into these valleys and get lost in the spiderwebs of tracks and roads. Cycling nirvana, no doubt.

post-22004-0-16457200-1355236079_thumb.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the yellow and purple share the same single track that descends under the "canopy" (that smells super miff) and then you come out at the bottom and ride up the right hand side of some sugar cane as it bends left. If it is the same, that stretch up along the sugar cane is un-ridable (rode there on the 30th-Nov) and was so muddy and smelt like who knows what that you even struggled to walk through (the tractors had been through there). So that was before all the recent rain, hope it dries out before you guys ride out there.

Anyway, I was able to go ride out there on one of the days and rode the purple and red new long. The red was pretty awesome except for that descent under the canopy about midway, super steep and slippery, I nearly cr@pped myself! You just touched the back brakes and the wheel locked up. Here are my rides (my Garmin had a fit, so the red is missing the whole start and section under those trees with all the ups and downs.)

Red: http://app.strava.co...vities/30233467 (I got lost at the 7.7km from home mark, you turn immediately left after a river crossing to go to the pic below)

Purple: http://app.strava.co...vities/30233465

Great minds.....

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/G5GTI05/Biking/21754_10151311714820376_155153201_n.jpg

Anybody know the state of the Holla tracks? Keen to ride tomorrow..... but with all this rain, may be unridable?

Any locals got a report