Big props to the 94.7 cycle challenge and E-TV

tombeej

I had a surreal experience on my afternoon ride today.

Decided to take a run north up the R102 from Ballito. On my way, got the usual greetings from everyone I passed on the way. I’m a bit of a regular in the area and so I’m sure I’m recognised as I go past, but today was different.

As I went through the village of Etete and the main football field next to the road I saw a game in full swing ringed by spectators, etc. One of the goalies saw me first. His loud whistle and wave caused the other players to turn around. Next thing the game pretty much came to a stop as everyone gave me a wave & a noisy greeting. I was blown away.

A couple of kay’s further on, saw about 6-8 teenage girls up ahead. They started ululating and dancing in the road, waving their arms. I turned around behind me to see who they were looking at… until I realised I was the focus of their attention. As I came up, I stuck my hand out and they all jumped in line to give me high-fives as I wizzed past. We were all laughing like mad. Again, blown away.

I had taxi drivers and people in cars sticking their heads out of windows giving me encouragement. And the usual kids running out of their homes when they saw me, all shouting and waving. And other kids banging the metal railings next to the road in support as I came past.

Turned into one of the most memorable times I’ve ever had on a bike. I've never experienced something like that.

About 10km from home, coming through Shakaskraal, I saw young Zulus riders up ahead on road bikes, all kitted up and in their own little pace line. As I came past them they got onto my wheel and we had a bit of a chat. First thing they asked me is if I saw the race on e-tv this morning. I said ‘sure’, and they were saying how they were happy to see it live.

Right there it struck me that the reason for the amazing vibes I got on my ride today had a lot to do with the 94.7 cycle challenge airing live on e-tv. How many of those folk in their homes woke up this morning and found themselves watching a live cycle race for the first time in their lives. The only other race like it in SA (I’m talking about live coverage for the masses) is Comrades, and that race is like a religion in the black community.

So from me to the organisers of the race and e-tv: a big fat well done on what you did today. It seems to have made a serious impact.

This is what we need is SA to promote the sport and draw the sponsors thereby taking away the negative stigma attached to our sport at present.

This is what we need is SA to promote the sport and draw the sponsors thereby taking away the negative stigma attached to our sport at present.

True, Cippo', true...

Nice to hear the nation being built more as well.

Agreed - having the event on a free-to-air TV station is great: win-win whatever way you look at it.

I saw SABC Live Broadcast trucks though at the event, perhaps they were contracted to do the actual broadcast?

damm missed it, was wonder where on TV it was, and when I could not find it on one of the SS channels gave up.

G

Heard etv have signed a 3 year deal to broadcast the race.

Saw a bit of this afternoon. Was really cool how they spoke to the people in the race, May it grow from strength to strength for them!

Hope SS stays out of this event. We really do not need more monopoly & same old same old commentary & recipes from them.

Their camera picture quality is shocking compared to the footage we see of the other international races.

Well done eTV for broadcasting live