Tyre problems on 29er

Gazzer996

Hi Guys,

I've got a Momsen, with 29 Crest wheels, and have had endless tyre issues, namely them jumping off the rim,

I have tried new rim tape, different tyre sealant, and different types of tyres (6 tyres on the back rim) 2 on the front,

Have also tried different pressures from hard to soft, same result,

most recently the tyre popped off the rim while i was inflating it (pressure on the gauge 2,8)

I have tried the following tyres, Continental (standard on the bike); Maxxis UST, and now hutchinson.

Any ideas as to why im having all these issues?

Am trying to go to tubes now, and see if i still have the problems,

Thanks

Gareth

What width is your rim?

I've heard about some guys having issues with rims that aren't wide enough for the tyres.

It's the only plausible explanation for the tyre popping off when you're inflating it (since there's no sidewards pressure on it from cornering, etc).

Bought a pair of Botragers from the Solomons bargain bin . Popped them onto Shimano rims with a bit of Insulation tape for good meassure . Pump them to 4 bar with compressor . Took a spin around the block , deflated and added plenty of Stans . Up to 4 bar again , did the 94.7 and this morning had to let air out for my offroad ride . Sound like you rims .

I have the same bike, same rims, 2.4 tyre (as wide as they come).

I don't have any issues, and throw them around quite a bit. Sounds to me like a faulty rim or tyre.

i had a set of crest where the was a flattening of the bead holder that meant no tyre could stay on the rim... The first time it happened was at 2.8 bar too, and I needed new pants, as I had just started walking away and the tyre slipped off with a bang.

same problems with crest rims after inflating a new tire to 3 bar (to assist the tire to seat properly). Now when putting a new tire on, I just inflate to about 2 bar and leave it to settle in on it's own which takes about 10min. Haven't subsequently tried pumping to 3 bar but I think that if the beading is properly seated on the rim the chances of it blowing off again are slim to none.

Get GEAX - problem solved.

GEAX doesn't fit on Stans.

You can get them on, and in the process damage your rim, but you will need a scissor to get them off!

Ride Stan's rims ONLY, and no tyre issues (other than Geax not fitting).

Conti

Bontrager

Vredenstein

Schwalbe, these fit the best!

Uhmm - nope you are wrong...

And read the OP's post -this specific set of rims cause 3 different makes of tyres to pop off...

GEAX will be a TIGHTER fit therefore he won't have these issues.

Hmm...definately sounds like a rim issue...

have them looked at...

PS: are you perhaps selling off some of all those tyres you tried??

Hi Guys,

I've got a Momsen, with 29 Crest wheels, and have had endless tyre issues, namely them jumping off the rim,

I have tried new rim tape, different tyre sealant, and different types of tyres (6 tyres on the back rim) 2 on the front,

Have also tried different pressures from hard to soft, same result,

most recently the tyre popped off the rim while i was inflating it (pressure on the gauge 2,8)

I have tried the following tyres, Continental (standard on the bike); Maxxis UST, and now hutchinson.

Any ideas as to why im having all these issues?

Am trying to go to tubes now, and see if i still have the problems,

Thanks

Gareth

What width tyre are you running??

Max PSI for 2.2 is 2.2 Bar