SRAM PG1070 Cassette 10sp - yes/no?

Stretch

quick question.....My sister is coming over from the uk so doing some spares shopping. I currently have a sram xx setup but there is no freaking way I am paying R2800 for a new cluster...even the X0 at R1900 seems a bit ridiculous.....but the x9 PG1070 is only R600 on CRC......I am no weight weenie so not worried about the extra grams...durability is my main concern....anyone else using this with an xx setup?

1050 is supposed to be lighter than the 1070 according to cr website... fwiw

interesting.....although you cant buy an 11-36 for the 1050

1050 is supposed to be lighter than the 1070 according to cr website... fwiw

interesting.....although you cant buy an 11-36 for the 1050

Which is mainly the reason for it being lighter, the extra metal for the 36 teeth. 1050 is 299 grams (11-32T).

The PG-1070 (359 grams 12-36) will also last longer than either the XG-1080 (239 grams) or XG-1099 (208 grams 11-36) versions too at a marginal weight gain. It's a no brainer. Although some will find the extra 151 grams over the XX - XG-1099 an unbearable penalty.

Other option is Shimano XTR M980 10-speed cassette - some of the cogs are Ti

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/54862.jpg

quick question.....My sister is coming over from the uk so doing some spares shopping. I currently have a sram xx setup but there is no freaking way I am paying R2800 for a new cluster...even the X0 at R1900 seems a bit ridiculous.....but the x9 PG1070 is only R600 on CRC......I am no weight weenie so not worried about the extra grams...durability is my main concern....anyone else using this with an xx setup?

My bike came with the 1070 cluster. The first race I rode with it, 2 of the cogs on one of the central sprockets sheared off. Whether it was a manf fault or just poor luck I am not certain, but I replaced it with a 1050 and no issues since. (15 races completed)

1050 and 1070 are different designs, spiders are not the same.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Which is mainly the reason for it being lighter, the extra metal for the 36 teeth. 1050 is 299 grams (11-32T).

The PG-1070 (359 grams 12-36) will also last longer than either the XG-1080 (239 grams) or XG-1099 (208 grams 11-36) versions too at a marginal weight gain. It's a no brainer. Although some will find the extra 151 grams over the XX - XG-1099 an unbearable penalty.

You can definately get an 11-36 - I have one, got it a couple of weeks ago from CRC, have not even taken it out of the car yet - tried taking a picture, but the flash washes out the label - I should maybe weigh it :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=88855

My bike came with the 1070 cluster. The first race I rode with it, 2 of the cogs on one of the central sprockets sheared off. Whether it was a manf fault or just poor luck I am not certain, but I replaced it with a 1050 and no issues since. (15 races completed)

1050 and 1070 are different designs, spiders are not the same.

wow - certainly sounds like a manf fault

You can definately get an 11-36 - I have one, got it a couple of weeks ago from CRC, have not even taken it out of the car yet - tried taking a picture, but the flash washes out the label - I should maybe weigh it smile.png

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=88855

wonder how i missed that - cool thanks - whichever gets in stock first will be my purchase as both the 1070 and the 1050 are out of stock

12-36 perhaps? SRAM website doesn't list a 11-36 1050, but Cape Cycle Systems local price list does? Go figure.

SRAM PG-1050 CASSETTE 10SP 11-32T

SRAM PG-1050 CASSETTE 10SP 12-36T

SRAM PG-1050 CASSETTE 10SP 11-26T

SRAM PG-1050 CASSETTE 10SP 11-36T

edit: table

Edited by CarbonDual29er

wonder how i missed that - cool thanks - whichever gets in stock first will be my purchase as both the 1070 and the 1050 are out of stock

For whatever reason CRC has that one on a different page..... but if you build a custom wheelset, they do (did) show the 1050 as 11-36 - then I searched... mostly because their custom wheelset build tool only does 26" wheels - only found that out when I got an order confirmation email....neearly a small problem, but they sorted it out for me without too much hassle (except for having to find all the parts individually, which in the end was not needed).

• 1 month later...

Hi Stretch, I'm in the same boat at the moment and really don't have the money to replace my XX groupo with XX again.What did you go for and is there any difference, performance wise, between XX and X9 cassette and chain except the weight?