Giant Anthem x29er Advanced(carbon) VS Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon

VT2jp

What frame to go for??

Take all parts as a constant and the frames in question as the decider???

Riding: Stage races, marathons, hitting singletrack and downhill sections at super speed.

Previous frame: Giant Anthem X 29er Aluminium. Built weight: 11.9KG's

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been on both and have to say the cruz(maybe look at the Tallboy LT, that is the one!). Take nothing away from the anthem, its a fantastic bike.

They are both farm gates.

Erm... expand on that please?

If my heart were to choose, I'd say the Tallboy. Then the Tallboy LT would pop up and wring my neck for not choosing it.

I'd pass all the okes on the Anthems and smile, knowing that I made the right choice.

What's the price diff on the frames, just outta interest? I have the impressions that Anthem X advanced = R22 k, from the us website, and Santa = R26 - R30 k?

If you want to "hit singletrack and steep downhill" neither is a good option. They are both big, heavy, flexy bikes AKA a gate.

If you want to "hit singletrack and steep downhill" neither is a good option. They are both big, heavy, flexy bikes AKA a gate.

Yeah, but then a Santa Nomad will never be a marathon event machine. So what's your point? Santa TBc is super duper stiff, as evidenced by their superiority in carbon design, and is for all intents and purposes one of the BEST XC/Marathon biased singletrack munching machines.

The Anthem, for all it's commonality, is a highly accomplished XC bike that is surprizingly competent at the technical stuff. Again, for an XC bike.

Neither of them are farm-gates. That award is reserved for something like a Trek Superfly, or a GT Marathon or similar.

Guest Omega Man

No-one who is looking to buy a 29er is looking to "hit singletrack and steep downhill"

No-one who is looking to buy a 29er is looking to "hit singletrack and steep downhill"

The OP is. Contradiction in terms, yes. But there are bikes that are semi-capable of both. The Rocky Mountain of Garlicki, for example. He threw that thing all over the Urban Assault.

Except the guy who started the thread...

I am with Routjie on this one. Rode both, weight wise basically the same. Decided on the Santa, never regretted my choice