Extra cash ... where to spend?

DaleE

Looking for some opinions ...

I'm in the process of buying / building a bike. The frame, bars, stem, saddle are all sorted, and my original idea was for Ultegra with Easton EA70 wheels, but it looks like I will be under budget :) ..... so ..... I can either upgrade to 10spd Dura-ace mechanical OR Ultegra electronic OR better wheels with the extra cash.

Which to choose?

I'm not the most clued up when it comes to tech, but I think you would get a bigger performance upgrade by buying better (lighter) wheels over the more expensive groupset...

Wheels. The EA90SLX are great, and at 1330g are about 300g lighter than the EA70.

The EC90 on the other hand are about 80g lighter but cost at least 5k more.

If you're thinking of spending more on the drivetrain, the 2013 SRAM Red will blow your mind. It's amazing.

Not trying to threadjack, but seeing as consensus seems to be wheels, I also need advice on whether to spend cash on a new bike, or upgrade my current one...

Last year I bought a second hand Ridley road bike (around 2007 vintage) - alu frame with carbon fork, Campy Veloce group and Campy Vento wheels.

Triathlons are my focus, so I have a TT bike (my "proper" bike - which is Shimano / SRAM) and I only do the odd training ride and non-drafting tri on my road bike, so not keen to spend too much money on it. Looking to either upgrade or get a new road bike with Shimano / SRAM groupset, primarliy so that I can interchange training and aero wheels on my road and Tri bike for races and training).

I worked out I can proably rebuild the Ridley with a new SRAM Force / Ultegra groupset and training wheels for around R10k.

The frame is in good condition and I really like it, even though its old and Alu, it probably could use a new paint job (which I'm mulling on trying myself as a little project - if I stuff it up I will just get it professionally resprayed).

What would you do -

(i) upgrade the older Alu bike for R10k with Ultegra / Force (and get some money back selling the current group and wheels); or

(ii) sell it, save up a little, and get a newer carbon framed bike with probably a 105 group for around R17 - R20k?

Not really concerned with resale value...

Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated!

Mix and match Shimano 105 & Ultegra and then spend the sizeable balance left on the best wheels and tyres you can buy

If you're thinking of spending more on the drivetrain, the 2013 SRAM Red will blow your mind. It's amazing.

Can you elaborate? I know it's lighter than Ultegra, but why "amazing"?

Thanks for all the replies ... interesting that everyone has said "wheels".

Yeah. You won't notice an increase in performance with slightly better groupset. Lighter, stiffer wheels on the other hand you will really feel the difference and enjoy.