Full suspension bike, up to 25k

Craigwt

I love my SS but I hated every second of the sluggish handling on Sunday.

Oops. Did this just become a 29er vs 26er thread?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other side of the coin:

of all the bikes I have sold I miss my hard tail 26" Zaskar the most. Single track feedback and line choice are what made the bike fun to ride. I sold it because back problems over longer 80 km + rides forced me to move to a full suss.

For me full suss bikes are like riding a couch, unresponsive and bendy, and so I enjoy tight, twitchy, full suss bikes like the merida 99 which allow me to emulate my hard tail when climbing, on district and tar roads, on tight single track and are still capable enough of bombing down any descents I encounter here in Tzaneen which has more mountains than most.

You can keep your boingy boingy Trances and PYGAs and give me tight and fast and fun any day.

No, I am not ever going to win a marathon but I sure like trying, just like most of the DH crowd aren't Minaar but they still buy the big hit bikes and consider it "real" MTB.

I love my SS but I hated every second of the sluggish handling on Sunday.

'Tis okay. I didn't mind waiting .........zzzzzzz....zzz....zzz...

Rofl. He was asking about anthem 29 vs Trance 29.

Me, I'm just building up a Reign X! That's definitely a sixxer!

Just watch that lower link... Do you have the gen 1, 2 or 3 lower link?

Before you get too carried away with the build, you should consider doing the modification to the bottom end. That would be taking off the top ISCG mounting lug and replacing the bottom link with a Reign (not X) link.

There is a lot of info on the "Official Thread : I broke my lower Reign X lower link" (or something like that) on MTBR.

I replaced the Gen 1 link on my Reign X with a Gen 2, and that still broke.

Of course, the other option is a brand new reign.

Comes standard with dropper, 720mm bar and chain guide, slx parts kit and their own wheelset. Cost? 25k.

Bargain of the century. And a very, very capable bike. I know okes on reigns that do the multi day events and absolutely love their bikes.

I love my Reign 0 (2011). I have ridden Sani2C on it, and it was my fitness that held me back, not the bike.

In my opinion it is a much better bike than the Reign X.

The other side of the coin:

of all the bikes I have sold I miss my hard tail 26" Zaskar the most. Single track feedback and line choice are what made the bike fun to ride. I sold it because back problems over longer 80 km + rides forced me to move to a full suss.

For me full suss bikes are like riding a couch, unresponsive and bendy, and so I enjoy tight, twitchy, full suss bikes like the merida 99 which allow me to emulate my hard tail when climbing, on district and tar roads, on tight single track and are still capable enough of bombing down any descents I encounter here in Tzaneen which has more mountains than most.

You can keep your boingy boingy Trances and PYGAs and give me tight and fast and fun any day.

No, I am not ever going to win a marathon but I sure like trying, just like most of the DH crowd aren't Minaar but they still buy the big hit bikes and consider it "real" MTB.

Agreed. Sometimes you just want the bike to feel alive.

Just watch that lower link... Do you have the gen 1, 2 or 3 lower link?

Before you get too carried away with the build, you should consider doing the modification to the bottom end. That would be taking off the top ISCG mounting lug and replacing the bottom link with a Reign (not X) link.

There is a lot of info on the "Official Thread : I broke my lower Reign X lower link" (or something like that) on MTBR.

I replaced the Gen 1 link on my Reign X with a Gen 2, and that still broke.

Its a 2010 frame if that helps. But will bear that in mind! Won't that restrict travel movement though?

Anthem or trance is all you need .Anthem if you like more endurance XC .Trance if you like the downhill thing

Is that right? I hope you are using the term downhill loosely and just indicating that the Trance is more fun on the downhills than the Anthem - coz it ain't a bike made for 'the downhill thing'.. no way mama!

Anthem or trance is all you need .Anthem if you like more endurance XC .Trance if you like the downhill thing

Is that right? I hope you are using the term downhill loosely and just indicating that the Trance is more fun on the downhills than the Anthem - coz it ain't a bike made for 'the downhill thing'.. no way mama!

http://techredible.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/You-keep-using-that-word1-300x252.jpg

:lol:

Its a 2010 frame if that helps. But will bear that in mind! Won't that restrict travel movement though?

Hmmm. Mine was a 2010. It came wth the Gen 1 link which I changed before it broke. I would have a chat with Dragons, as they should have a stock of updated links.

It seems that most breakages occured while negotiating rocky climbs, putting big torque into the cranks.

Don't let it put you off though, they are brilliant bikes. Just be sure to get the link sorted.

I love my Reign 0 (2011). I have ridden Sani2C on it, and it was my fitness that held me back, not the bike.

In my opinion it is a much better bike than the Reign X.

Yaaay, another Reign lover.. best damed bike next to the real DW!

Just a note: I love the X too. Wish I had a 2013 Reign with ISCG like the X.. oh, they have bolt through at the back too. Damn you Mayhem!

Back to the 29.. sorry..oops

Edited by Pain or Shine

Thanks everyone, do you think the reign will be a better fit for me than the trance? Looks like the reign is more of a downhill/aggresive/jumps/drops kinda bike?

Its also stronger and more comfy to ride. Very capable bike, and a true do it all. Just doesn't come in niner format due to the travel restrictions of the wheel format. That's the bike I'd go for in the pursuit of a fun bike that can do it all, and hack it on the multi day events without rendering you a quivering fool on the tech stuff.

Also don't rule out the usefulness of a Trance with a 140mm fork on it...

You could possibly even put a Talas or similar which would allow you to drop the front end for climbing.

Also don't rule out the usefulness of a Trance with a 140mm fork on it...

You could possibly even put a Talas or similar which would allow you to drop the front end for climbing.

You better clarify that you aren't talking about the bigger wheeled version... ;)