Best Wheel Builder in Cape Town?

YUMEYA

Hoekom is almal so in BMC se gat opp gekruip?

Was in there once...Ben tell me what moerse expensive brake outer casing he has that is made of kevlar and some space material and that nothing can break that cable dry.png .

Then I get told it take 2 hours to bleed brakes so it will cost R700 to replace and bleed my brake casings.

looked at a helmet and that too is R200 more than at cwc so I went out and never back in again.

Wanted to replace my brakes after a while with the 2012 deore or slx's and then I get told but there are better options out there....

Please laugh.png .

Dude there is no "Ben" at BMC in salt river

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

William from Williams Bike Shop in Somerset West ... no doubt!

I have to agree here. Ask William to show you the Enve/Chris King combo he did last week. Still smoke coming out of my ears.

A friend of mine drove straight over the middle of my Yellowsaddle built wheel lying on the ground last weekend while camping. (Chris King hub, ZTR Rims and DT revolution spokes) Luckily the ground was soft from the rain but the brake disk was pretzled and the skewer totally bent. Removed the disk and skewer and took it to BMC (in salt river). Kevin attended to it immediately. He whipped the axle out, took it to the lathe and used a surface gauge to determine that it was still straight (well, 0.02mm out which is spec). Checked the rest of the freewheel hub and other bits for damage, added a bit of grease and reassembled. A few tweaks with the spoke spanned and the wheel is good to go.

Being a bit OCD, I am pretty concerned about who fiddles with my stuff but this was a seriously good experience.

I'd certainly go back there. Oh, did i mention that the car was an Audi q5 and that they charged me R80 for the wheel true.

Edited by John H

A friend of mine drove straight over the middle of my Yellowsaddle built wheel lying on the ground last weekend while camping. (Chris King hub, ZTR Rims and DT revolution spokes) Luckily the ground was soft from the rain but the brake disk was pretzled and the skewer totally bent. Removed the disk and skewer and took it to BMC (in salt river). Kevin attended to it immediately. He whipped the axle out, took it to the lathe and used a surface gauge to determine that it was still straight (well, 0.02mm out which is spec). Checked the rest of the freewheel hub and other bits for damage, added a bit of grease and reassembled. A few tweaks with the spoke spanned and the wheel is good to go.

Being a bit OCD, I am pretty concerned about who fiddles with my stuff but this was a seriously good experience.

I'd certainly go back there. Oh, did i mention that the car was an Audi q5 and that they charged me R80 for the wheel true.

Always good to know there are bike shops out there who can make a living and care for the sport and their customers.

• 2 years later...

I generally true my own wheels, but for some or other reason I just can't seem to get it right this time, might be that I am sick as a dog and don't have the pluk to sukkle.  So I'm looking for an update to this thread as I would like to hand my wheel over to someone and get it back timeously so that when I am all snot free I can ride again.

Before I started dabbling with truing a wheel I used to take it to one of my LBS', but even they would bad mouth each other saying LBS A over tightens spokes or LBS B can never get dishing right etc etc.

So is there a simple answer for who to go to?  Preferably in the northern suburbs, close to either home (Bothasig) or work (Bellville).

I did also come across this ad, anyone have any experience with Cecil?

Thanks

post-49286-0-43818700-1428403796_thumb.jpg

Gentleman you can try Shawn at our CWC branch in Willow Bridge. He builts all our ZTR wheelsets and we have had no come bags . He love his wheel building and do not have any comebacks. Try him . You will not be dissapointed.

+1 to that.

William has built two sets for me - heavy Mavic/Hope set for training and long endurance rides, and lighter Velocity/DuraAce set for events and "races" (not that I am really a racer). Both sets have been A1

+1. William built my flow/hope wheels. I would not use anybody else.

Marc Car is no longer at Crown he is at Swift Concept in City.

He has just build my American Classic Hubs into ZTR arch rims ...As always I'm a happy Chappy.

• 11 months later...

Guys, just a quick update - Hendrik of SAwheelworkx is now the workshop manager at Helderberg Cycle World and no longer work on wheels himself. 

Any new exceptional wheel builders in Cape Town area since this thread was last updated?