Best Wheel Builder in Cape Town?

YUMEYA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, just a quick update - Hendrik of SAwheelworkx is now the workshop manager at Helderberg Cycle World and no longer work on wheels himself. 

Any new exceptional wheel builders in Cape Town area since this thread was last updated?

Andrew of stoke built me some Mtb wheels a little over a year ago. I am extremely happy with everything.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I am looking for a wheel builder, but the topic hasn't been active for two years.. any updates info ? Preferably someone close to west coast or cape town city.

Always when I see someone refer to the best it makes me think about the theory of the fast-great-cheap.

YOU can only choose two of the three ;-)

Hi everyone, I am looking for a wheel builder, but the topic hasn't been active for two years.. any updates info ? Preferably someone close to west coast or cape town city.

Droo @ Stoke Suspension Works. 

Always when I see someone refer to the best it makes me think about the theory of the fast-great-cheap.

YOU can only choose two of the three ;-)

I totally agree,  best is very subjective. just because they give great coffee and scones at the reception does not make for a good wheel builder.  

I just want a wheel with the correct spoke tensions and fairly straight.
Because my larger frame of 100kgs seems to highlight incorrect spoke tensions really quickly.  
:-P  

Louis Bresler-Knipe at Knipe Racing, Meerendal (tel 082 493 8597)

Just rebuilt my rear stans wheel (rim replaced) and does all my bike maintenance - won't go anywhere else!

I get good vibes from Droo @Stoke. I feel confident that if I left something there to be dealt with, he'd explain it to me properly in a way I can understand and that when I went back to get it, he'd have met expectations. This is rare in customer service, let alone bike shops and should be applauded.

Note that Droo has NOT built wheels for me, but I'd look no further when it's time.